Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah I saw that. My question is why is Apple wasting time, energy and resources on this? It doesn't benefit the consumer in any way I can discern. I don't like people being rude with their cell phones, either. But Apple is not Mom. Leave it to the museum/venue management to enforce prohibitions against flash photography or video recording. People who want to make these recordings will just switch to Android or use a regular camera. I don't get it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah I saw that. My question is why is Apple wasting time, energy and resources on this? It doesn't benefit the consumer in any way I can discern. I don't like people being rude with their cell phones, either. But Apple is not Mom. Leave it to the museum/venue management to enforce prohibitions against flash photography or video recording. People who want to make these recordings will just switch to Android or use a regular camera. I don't get it.

Because Apple is an elite Progressive company that wants to protect the entertainers and intellectuals. Google would do the same.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I wish they would patent a tech that disables video recording if you try to shoot in Portrait mode. :mad:
Lol! Yeah, there are actually legitimate reasons I've done that but I keep having to remind my family members to turn the iPhone sideways. It's maddening.
Because Apple is an elite Progressive company that wants to protect the entertainers and intellectuals. Google would do the same.
Google would devise a way of identifying exactly who and what people are recording so they can data mine the crap out of it. Uh...actually I think they already do. Or are at least close.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
While I think it's annoying when people record at a concert, I will not support Apple or any company for that matter having additional control over how or when we use our devices. If the artist and venue are truly concerned, they shouldn't allow devices with cameras to be brought in.

Back when cameras were cameras, and phones were phones, this was reasonably practical, and they did it, just like a sports venue might search for bottles of booze. Today, with everyone carrying a smartphone with a remarkably good camera and audio recorder, it's not practical to confiscate everyone's phone. "If the babysitter has a problem, he has to be able to reach me!!!"

It's not Apple or Samsung that will "control... how or when we use our devices." It's up to the venue to do that. There's a difference between enabling control, and doing the controlling. In a sense, the smartphone industry created a problem for all these venues, so they're providing a solution to those they negatively affected - undo some of the harm.

This seems a perfectly reasonable, though sneaky approach. Tickets to events contain nearly as much small print as a software EULA - the purchaser has "agreed" to a long list of things, including to not record the event. It might be nice, if this ever comes to fruition, that the device display a message: "Audio/video recording has been disabled by this venue, consistent with the terms of your admission ticket." GPS data could even identify the name of that venue.

I think some sort of notice needs to be mandatory, to indicate when recording is being illegitimately blocked. One might not be able to prevent a government from blocking recordings at a political demonstration, but it makes it hard for the culprits to hide.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Back when cameras were cameras, and phones were phones, this was reasonably practical, and they did it, just like a sports venue might search for bottles of booze. Today, with everyone carrying a smartphone with a remarkably good camera and audio recorder, it's not practical to confiscate everyone's phone. "If the babysitter has a problem, he has to be able to reach me!!!"

It's not Apple or Samsung that will "control... how or when we use our devices." It's up to the venue to do that. There's a difference between enabling control, and doing the controlling. In a sense, the smartphone industry created a problem for all these venues, so they're providing a solution to those they negatively affected - undo some of the harm.

This seems a perfectly reasonable, though sneaky approach. Tickets to events contain nearly as much small print as a software EULA - the purchaser has "agreed" to a long list of things, including to not record the event. It might be nice, if this ever comes to fruition, that the device display a message: "Audio/video recording has been disabled by this venue, consistent with the terms of your admission ticket." GPS data could even identify the name of that venue.

I think some sort of notice needs to be mandatory, to indicate when recording is being illegitimately blocked. One might not be able to prevent a government from blocking recordings at a political demonstration, but it makes it hard for the culprits to hide.
I understand that it wouldn't be Apple or Samsung choosing when to enable/disable the use of the camera, but rather the venue and/or artist in this scenario. I don't go to concerts but my thought is basically this, if Apple or Samsung (as you mentioned) were to develop this as an option, then it would be reasonable to assume that this could be used by anyone.

Reactions: 5105973

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I understand that it wouldn't be Apple or Samsung choosing when to enable/disable the use of the camera, but rather the venue and/or artist in this scenario. I don't go to concerts but my thought is basically this, if Apple or Samsung (as you mentioned) were to develop this as an option, then it would be reasonable to assume that this could be used by anyone.
Was wondering why all the cops in my town were wearing those infrared lights on their heads. Now I understand.

Meanwhile in other news, scientists report increase in global warming beyond which was expected by CO2 emissions. It seems there is an unexplained increase in infrared radiation. Investigations are under way. More to follow.......

Last edited:
Reactions: timeconsumer

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I'll just bring my iphone 4. Seriously aren't there are enough "nannies" controlling us?

Field3

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
very innovative Apple!!! block everyone everywhere except the official photographer. :( collect royalties.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

My guess is that this is an Ulterior Motive play. Many companies patent stuff just so no one else can. So let's not be mad at Apple they may in fact be locking this down so no one else can. Besides will they go around selling this feature to who ? AMC or Regal Cinemas it's not likely Apple is friendly with the US Government to say hey we can help you lets F our customers.

Besides who else would follow them. It would be a feature on most other phone that do play along.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
why should they prevent you from preserving memories? I don't care for seeing a sea of phone screens in front of me at a show.....So if it is in the way I scoot over about 6 inches. This is nuts if it is true and ever put into affect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.