Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Same here. My pencil is always attached to my iPad, but will stop drawing a charge and start to drain. Removing it and reattaching will cause it to start charging again. Hoping a software update will fix this.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I will have to check for the charging then draining issue while attached to the iPad. I think I recall seeing 98% after reaching 100%, but I was more interested in topping off the Pencil to learn the lifespan and to make sure it sleeps after not being in use for a while.

I seem to be experiencing where my Pencil will charge to 100%. When I remove it, it will eventually sleep and disconnect from the iPad. However, it will still slowly drain on its own. After almost 24 hours and it went from 100% down to 90%.

While not a whole lot, my understanding is that the Pencil should hold its charge and remain at 100% easily for a few days if never in use. Not sure if others are experiencing similar or if this okay behavior. I’m thinking of exchanging it since it was an open box purchase, just to see.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
Same issue here. Battery on pencil stops charging and only starts charging again when I take off iPad and reattach. If I don’t do this prior to plugging in iPad to charge it, I come back to iPad fully charged and pencil at 80-97% depending where it was charge-wise when I plugged in iPad. Will be making Genius oppointment if next update doesn’t fix behavior.
I recommend you guys swap out your pencils if still within your return period. I had this same issue and exchanged it and it’s been perfect ever since!

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
I recommend you guys swap out your pencils if still within your return period. I had this same issue and exchanged it and it’s been perfect ever since!
I will have to get mine exchanged since I’m still having issues with it. I thought it was a software bug.

AStaleyUK

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Rather than start a new thread, thought I’d ask here. Just got a Pencil gen2 paired it to my iPad and left it connected to the iPad overnight with the iPad on charge. When I checked the Pencil in the morning it hadn’t charged at all, but after using the iPad the battery indicator shows it recharging fairly rapidly. So does the Pencil only charge whilst the iPad is in use?

bdhokie

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
USA
I am having the same issue - even when attached to my iPad Pro (11”) which is charging or fully charged, the Pencil does not charge. If I remove it for a while and re-attach, it begins charging.

I’m going to try to contact Apple Support today, but I’d assume this is a software issue to be addressed in a future IOS update.

Lacrimalis

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2021
I am having the same issue - even when attached to my iPad Pro (11”) which is charging or fully charged, the Pencil does not charge. If I remove it for a while and re-attach, it begins charging.

I’m going to try to contact Apple Support today, but I’d assume this is a software issue to be addressed in a future IOS update.
Any updates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.