Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It's great to see Aperture getting updated so soon! It's nice to see the competition swinging on both sides!

Personally I've just recently downloaded both the evaluation copies of Aperture and Lightroom. For an amateur like me, Lightroom has the killer feature for me - before/after. Having the split screen effect seeing what it looked like before while working is deadly. I can't seem to do it in Aperture and I really miss it when trying out 2.0/2.1. Missing that feature alone pushes me to Lightroom side.

But I really like Aperture simple interface and it's superior integration into Mac OS X. It doesn't trump the power i get from the split screen.

Both are amazing programs I'm pretty damn impressed at what I can do with either. I just wished Aperture had that feature so I won't be plunking an extra $100 for lightroom.

you can compare before and after in aperture by pressing "show master"

you can do split screen by option clicking a project while in another project.

you can tab browse by command clicking on a project whilst in another project.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It's great to see Aperture getting updated so soon! It's nice to see the competition swinging on both sides!

Personally I've just recently downloaded both the evaluation copies of Aperture and Lightroom. For an amateur like me, Lightroom has the killer feature for me - before/after. Having the split screen effect seeing what it looked like before while working is deadly. I can't seem to do it in Aperture and I really miss it when trying out 2.0/2.1. Missing that feature alone pushes me to Lightroom side.

But I really like Aperture simple interface and it's superior integration into Mac OS X. It doesn't trump the power i get from the split screen.

Both are amazing programs I'm pretty damn impressed at what I can do with either. I just wished Aperture had that feature so I won't be plunking an extra $100 for lightroom.
Aperture has a mode dedicated to comparisons-- not just version to master but version to version if you choose to.

You can also quickly look at two images by selecting both. I don't have two monitors, but I think you can put one on each monitor if that makes it easier.

I haven't tried LR, so I can't give much advice as to which is better for what you're trying to do, but I think it's possible to solve that one problem.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL

Hmmm another person from Minnesota on MR.....hehehe :xD Didn't know you were lurking on MR.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I too love the new version of aperture but there is one major hangup. There is no way to export lightroom changes into aperture. Someone has to be able to figure this out. Re-editing vast libraries is just not feasible.

If it makes you feel better, I'd suck it up and just export all my RAW files as JPEGs if I were switching (I'm likely not), and my favourite images as TIFFs.

Nobody ever said switching photo management tools that use non-destructive editing was going to be easy. After all, that's what you get for using a non-destructive editor.......you haven't actually made any changes from the original!!! Switching from any non-destructive editor would probably be hard. Adobe doesn't want you to switch brands, and neither does Apple, so they're going to make it difficult.

I don't see this as a flaw.

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Aperture 2.1 unexpectedly quits when I try to remove a brick from the default adjustmens HUD. Adding a new standard brick is not a problem.
I tried removing the Aperture prefs, didn't help.

Is anyone else experienceing this bug ?

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
Cool update but they STILL have not fixed the bug which will not let me choose my own picture folders for a desktop wallpaper if I have an aperture library :mad::mad::mad:

This bug is highly annoying, although it goes away if you run iPhoto once to create an empty iPhoto library. For some reasons, System Preferences only flakes out when you have an Aperture library without an iPhoto one.

(Of course, if you keep your iPhoto library on an external drive like I do, the problem re-appears whenever the drive isn't mounted.)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
I hadn't used Aperture since 1.5. Tonight, I spent 1 hour playing with Aperture 2.1, and I still hate the loupe. That's enough reason for me not to switch. Seriously. It's one of the things I use quite often in Lightroom without even realizing it. Once I didn't have the same level of easy, instant, one (mouse) button access to it, I already felt like I was in foreign lands. When I did use the loupe, I found it to be faster in Lightroom, and just more useful, IMO.

As a Lightroom user, I do like Aperture's layout more than Lightroom's modular setup. I'm not used to Aperture, but I can see the potential benefit of having Aperture's setup. However, I like the "Tone Curve" in the Develop section of Lightroom, and Aperture's equivalent (which I think is using "Levels", I believe) isn't as good. It had more editing features, which I didn't expect. However, I hated doing adjustments in Aperture. The "Spot and Patch" in Aperture is particularly painful. It also felt slow and unresponsive, much like the loupe.

-----------------------------------
So things I don't like about Aperture (that I like about Lightroom) are:

1. The loupe - Big deal for me. Slow, and not as easily accessible as in Lightroom, where I just have to click on the image with my mouse.

2. No tone curve - Very well implemented in Lightroom. I don't like the "Levels" feature as much in Aperture, and find it unintuitive. I know how to use it, and I can certain get faster by using it more often, but it will never feel right.

3. Full Screen mode. The Inspector just gets in the way of the photo. I'd rather have it implemented like it is in Lightroom. While you need to hit the "Tab" button on the keyboard to clear everything else, and "Tab" again to bring everything back. To make all the toolbars disappear, just hit the "f" key on the keyboard twice to move things on the screen out of the way.

4. Adjustments - In the "Develop" module in Lightroom, I like how the adjustment features are sitting on the right side without getting into the way of the actual photo.

What I like about Aperture's layout is how you can access it from anywhere. In Lightroom, you need to go into a the Develop module, so it's a bit compartmentalized. On the other hand, the Adjustments are accessible in Full Screen mode using the Inspector (which I don't like in full screen mode).

I know you can get a similar view in Aperture's "Viewer" mode, where the Adjustment tools are all available on the Left side, but then the toolbar on the top takes up so much space on the screen, making the workspace smaller. I like the dark background of the "Full Screen" view mode, so I'd rather use that, plus have the Adjustments toolbar not block the image while I'm editing.

5. Spot and Patch.

Wow, that's horrible. It's choppy, and unintuitive. I'm not exactly a computer newbie. I usually understand how to delete. I couldn't delete one of the "spot removal" circles once I put one into the photo. I can access this tool by clicking on the Spot and Patch icon from the bottom of the main "Viewer Only" and "Browser and Viewer" views, and there is no way to delete them if I access it via the icon on the bottom toolbar, I couldn't delete it. It's only after you go into the Inspector and/or Adjustment toolbar that you can delete it. If I'm wrong, then I apologize. I blame it on the unintuitiveness of it. Really. I know it sounds like a cop-out, but I really did spend 5 minutes on this tool and didn't figure out why I couldn't delete until I got to Adjustments.

I also couldn't adjust the size of the "spot" after I set it down. It's annoying. You should be able to resize after putting a spot removal thing down.

-----------------------------------

There were a few more things, although I can't remember them right now.

There's nothing specific that I really love about Aperture. I guess I generally like the layout more. Access to metadata is just far better, and is something I don't use in Lightroom as much as I'd like. It takes too long.

Custom naming of files while importing is awesome, and I wish they implemented something similar into Lightroom. I generally like Aperture's "Importing" better.

"Lift and Stamp" is easier in Aperture, although I use the keyboard shortcut in Lightroom so that it's still faster. I found the keyboard shortcut for stamping, but not for lifting. I thought that was weird. :confused:

That's it, really. It's not enough reason for me to change over. Lightroom also feels zippier to me.

johnmclane2000

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
Is there any way in Aperture 2 that you can e.g. retouch the photo at more than the 100% zoom that you get when you hit z?

The loupe zooms in in great detail but I cannot seem to apply any changes while in loupe view?? Maybe it's just me.

In Lightroom you can easily zoom in more than 100% and apply your changes, remove spots and dust e.g....but in Aperture the best I could find was 100%

Surely I must miss something since I'm fairly new at Aperture.

Any hints anyone?

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Is there any way in Aperture 2 that you can e.g. retouch the photo at more than the 100% zoom that you get when you hit z?

The loupe zooms in in great detail but I cannot seem to apply any changes while in loupe view?? Maybe it's just me.

In Lightroom you can easily zoom in more than 100% and apply your changes, remove spots and dust e.g....but in Aperture the best I could find was 100%

Surely I must miss something since I'm fairly new at Aperture.

Any hints anyone?

View>Use Centered Loupe:)
That's how I keep mine 95% of the time. (You can also easily resize and change the magnification in the bottom right corner of the loupe)

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Great...STILL?!? no love for the 450D....thanks a lot Apple. And the first person who says well its not even out yet gets a virtual boot to the head...as if Canon wouldn't outright give them one if they asked for it at this point. All I know is as of next month whenever I get get my hands on the 450D if Aperture isn't supporting it I go Light Room....screw Aperture at that point. :mad:

Unfortunately, Apple seems to take about 4-5 months to support new cameras.

Any updates on RAW support? I would love for Aperture to support Sigma cameras, especially since I've been using the DP-1 over the past week (lovely compact camera).

I don't see any Sigma support listed yet. This list appears to be up to date:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

They added 11 cameras last week, I doubt that they'd add more already this week.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
That's it, really. It's not enough reason for me to change over. Lightroom also feels zippier to me.

Abstract - sounds like I'm a bit where you are. The Aperture changes in quick succession - 2.0 (which I know tortured folks with the wait), then the recent quick update of new camera support (which appeared to signal that Aperture was going to be much more on top of things and that the last wait was due to fundamental changes), and then this latest news re: plug-in functionality had me thinking about giving Aperture another look (I have 1.5 on my machine).

I do LOVE the LR develop section - and the way it tracks the changes. I'm not sure what I'll do. I keep Aperture as a book tool, so perhaps I'll upgrade in any event and check it out. Of course, LR is due for an update and there were Adobe folks talking about plug in functionality a year ago - along with a long list of other things. Scott Kelby's got the "wish list" thread over on his blog.

At any rate, I found your observations interesting.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002

It was just a quick run-down of the things I could remember. You can add to my list if you wish. ;)

I did note situations where I thought it was my lack of experience with Aperture that was responsible for some of the difficulties, but then again, I didn't find Aperture's specifics all that intuitive. I thought the basic layout of metadata and adjustments to be better than LR overall. In Aperture, you WANT to add metadata. In LR, it's on the main browser screen, which is usually an afterthought to me. It's all a bit cumbersome. I only use that screen to access the photos in my folders. I even look at my photos in the Develop module because I don't see much point in having the main browser screen. Again, this is why Aperture's layout is superior, if not its specific features.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts

I just read Rob Galbraith's write-up - very, very helpful - especially explaining how the plug-ins handle things, which sound like its more-or-less like round tripping the file out to an external editor and then bringing it back in. The Aperture sandwich bit - where if you use a plug in and then make more Aperture changes, the Aperture changes aren't applied if you then send the file to Photoshop unless you force the second set of changes onto the file - will take a bit more to digest.

A question for you Aperture users re: 2.1 - is there identity plate functionality yet? In LR, it's very simple - you create your text, e.g. MacRumor Photos, in a LR menu and you position that identity plate anywhere on the photo. You can even change the UI so that your name / font replaces "Lightroom" in the upper left corner of the screen - e.g. MacRumors Photography LLC. In Aperture do you still have to create a plate in Photoshop to apply in Aperture?

johnmclane2000

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
View>Use Centered Loupe:)
That's how I keep mine 95% of the time. (You can also easily resize and change the magnification in the bottom right corner of the loupe)

I don't get it. I want to be able to apply retouching for example while zoomed in. I do not seem to be able to do this with the loupe...

Can you elaborate?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
A question for you Aperture users re: 2.1 - is there identity plate functionality yet? In LR, it's very simple - you create your text, e.g. MacRumor Photos, in a LR menu and you position that identity plate anywhere on the photo. You can even change the UI so that your name / font replaces "Lightroom" in the upper left corner of the screen - e.g. MacRumors Photography LLC. In Aperture do you still have to create a plate in Photoshop to apply in Aperture?
There is watermarking, but I haven't used it.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
This bug is highly annoying, although it goes away if you run iPhoto once to create an empty iPhoto library. For some reasons, System Preferences only flakes out when you have an Aperture library without an iPhoto one.

(Of course, if you keep your iPhoto library on an external drive like I do, the problem re-appears whenever the drive isn't mounted.)

that's what really annoys me. it seems like it would be an easy bug to fix, but they constantly ignore it. and the whole reason I use aperture is so I don't need iphoto. I think it's stupid that I need an empty iphoto library to avoid this bug. It is so annoying having to rename my library everytime I want to change my desktop wallpaper :(

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I don't get it. I want to be able to apply retouching for example while zoomed in. I do not seem to be able to do this with the loupe...

Can you elaborate?

Oh right...sorry, I didn't know that you can't use the spot and patch tool through the loupe (never really used it):(. I normally just keep it on a spot while making other adjustments with the sliders.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

1. The loupe

2. No tone curve

3. Full Screen mode.

4. Adjustments

5. Spot and Patch.

I see those as reason enough to stay with LR. For me, it was a small reason to switch back to Aperture, and that reason had nothing to do with image editing and organization. If you see the main differences between the two applications as a moot point then there is no real reason to switch or stay.

The Inspector getting in the way of the image was a big nuisance for me too, and even now I constantly hide and show it to get work done, glad they make it a simple "H" short cut. One of the best fixes I have found for it is a second monitor which Aperture handles very very well. I hope that the hi rez 17" MBP helps alleviate that issue with a single screen just a bit however, and I am very glad that the filmstrip in full screen mode goes away when I am not using it.

I think the tone/curve in LR was a disappointment. I use it constantly in PS and LR doesn't give me the same results. In Aperture, I had to learn how it dealt with color from scratch, then once I got the hang of it, I still found myself going back to PS, but those are just for the really bad images.

I am still waiting for basic editing using just the preview (like crop/straighten) and time input into auto-stack. And maybe a way for me to have the app open in two machines on the same network... I don't want to pirate the software to do this and I'd really rather not buy two copies of it.

I am still on the ropes about using my original copy of LR on my tower as a backup, and Aperture on my portable as the main machine.

p.s. those who are thinking of switching, it's best to wait until LR 2.0 to make the call. Don't get sucked into the glitz of Aperture and Apple.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
p.s. those who are thinking of switching, it's best to wait until LR 2.0 to make the call. Don't get sucked into the glitz of Aperture and Apple.

It's good advice. Apple deserves some hat tips for really turning around perceptions - mine at least. One thing that I'm thrilled to see them doing is talking about the roadmap - at least for plug-ins: who is working on what and even anticipated release dates. That's a very good practice and one I hope that they continue to embrace.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
It's good advice. Apple deserves some hat tips for really turning around perceptions - mine at least. One thing that I'm thrilled to see them doing is talking about the roadmap - at least for plug-ins: who is working on what and even anticipated release dates. That's a very good practice and one I hope that they continue to embrace.

That, as well as continued/added/future support for camera models. They had a worthy excuse as to why it took so long for them to get support for the newer models, albeit users were forced to upgrade to Leopard and Aperture 2.0 (but given that many of the new models were $2000 and up I assume it was a small price to pay) to get it.

I hope they continue to support newer models, and add support to existing ones. The tweaks they are doing to the software are very welcomed and will keep me with Aperture and maybe even my .Mac account for another year or so, so I do hope they keep up the pace, and realize that users will be expecting this positive behavior more often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.