Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Love reading the comments from people claiming it 'sucks' and is 'lame' (not meaning bugs, I sympathise there). The capability of Logic Pro is utterly light years ahead of the technology that was available to record some of the most famous music ever written. The opportunities that it, and other DAWs, offer to creators, are immense. Feel like sitting these people in front of a 24-track Studer loaded with 2" tape and saying "ok off you go, now let's see who's lame". I doubt they'd even be able to figure out how to put it in record mode.

Last edited:

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
None of these features interest me. What interests me are all the bug fixes. You think macOS has bugs, Logic has so many of them you learn many ways to working around them, and even then forget the alchemy of bypassing them, especially with external analog gear. I/O Utility needs a complete redesign and written all in Assembly.

I won't touch 11 until 11.3.x has arrived.
IMO Apple needs to focus on bugs across its properties. We desperately need another "Snow Leopard"-type tock cycle. That said, I downloaded Logic 11 yesterday and it's awesome.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I had a short play with the new functionalities and I am confused by the AI claims that Apple has made.

For example, Stem Splitter: seems to work well enough, but if it is controlled by an AI engine it should be doing better at understanding the difference between a voice and a saxophone (for example), but it gets them very easily confused. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I was hoping for better separation.

Session Players: again, with the AI claim I was expecting them to be able to follow an existing audio track. Recognise the chords and rhythm and play along, you know... in an Artificially Intelligent way... Maybe I just don't know how to use them, but as far as I can see they still require a manually entered chord track. I hope I am just missing something.

Chroma Glow: At first listen it seems interesting, but I will need to understand what it is really doing to the sound. Early days.

It seems a solid update, and any addition to the sound library is always welcome, but AI? I don't think so.
We have come to expect a lot from AI and I don't think this is it.

Last edited:

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
You can remove the pops and cracks with a proper tool like Izotope RX.

The new stem separation works quite well.
And then you can buy a $200 widget to connect to your receiver to put them back in so they sound ‘authentic’ (whatever that means). No, seriously. That thing exists.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Maybe I just don't know how to use them, but as far as I can see they still require a manually entered chord track. I hope I am just missing something.
They do, and they 'improvise' bass and piano over it, based on the chord track.

Everyone is going to have a different expectation about what they want AI to deliver. For me, this is what I want it to deliver. I don't want it taking over my creativity, I want it to compliment it. Even so I'm pretty sure Apple will still refine these AI features in time.

Runaway Train

macrumors member
May 20, 2023
The pro software means they sell many more machines. Otherwise, you wouldn't be seeing all these updates. Logic is one of their Golden Geese and the acqusition from emagic was a masterstroke in the long run.
They might want to fix multi-core optimization if they expect people to upgrade machines. Unless I missed something this issue was not addressed in this very splashy 11.0 « update ». So you still have Apples own software that chokes on a 10 core machine because Logic jams everything through a single core.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Beatles made their first three UK albums on a twin-track BTRs. They didn't even get 8-tracks until 1968. Hard Days Night, Rubber Soul, Revolver and Pepper were all on 4-track.
I recall thinking a 4 track Yamaha portastudio was still pretty high tech 25 years more recently than that in 1993! The tools of today are the stuff of science fiction to me.

Reactions: H_D and MajorFubar

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I recall thinking a 4 track Yamaha portastudio was still pretty high tech 25 years more recently than that in 1993! The tools of today are the stuff of science fiction to me.
Yes…I had a Tascam 4-track Portastudio and others toys back in the day too. Logic Pro is truly like Sci-fi today in comparison. Incredible software I have to say..

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I still own my Yamaha MT4X multitrack recorder I purchased way back when. It sits in a rack with some of my other analog recorders waiting to be patched into my desk in my home studio as and when required :)

Cabinet.jpg

nopster

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I recently discovered that, for example, Chroma Glow is not available on Intel Macs. Just Apple Silicon :((

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Apple would say it uses certain features that are baked into M-series chips and wouldn't work efficiently on Intel. I know, I can smell the sh-t from here too.

Reactions: nopster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.