Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 17.5, the fifth update update to the tvOS 17 operating system that came out last September. tvOS 17.5 comes two months after the release of tvOS 17.4.

apple-tv-4k-red-image.jpg

tvOS 17.5 can be downloaded using the Settings app on the ‌Apple TV‌. Go to System > Software Update to get the new software. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates activated will be upgraded to tvOS 17.5 automatically.

Compared to other operating system updates, tvOS 17.5 updates are often minor in scale, focusing on bug fixes and other small improvements. We did not find new features during the tvOS 17.5 beta testing process.

Apple shares release notes for tvOS in its tvOS support document, which is updated after each new version of tvOS comes out.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 17.5

sandler77

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
I sure hope tvOS brings back Home Sharing from any of my other apple devices to the AppleTV. Lost since 17.3 or 17.4 if I recall. Lame that I have to screen mirror a device as a workaround, but then lose all functionality and UI of the Home Sharing idea by using the Computer icon/app on the AppleTV menu...

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024

Apple today released tvOS 17.5, the fifth update update to the tvOS 17 operating system that came out last September. tvOS 17.5 comes two months after the release of tvOS 17.4.

tvOS 17.5 can be downloaded using the Settings app on the ‌Apple TV‌. Go to System > Software Update to get the new software. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates activated will be upgraded to tvOS 17.5 automatically.

Compared to other operating system updates, tvOS 17.5 updates are often minor in scale, focusing on bug fixes and other small improvements. We did not find new features during the tvOS 17.5 beta testing process.

Apple shares release notes for tvOS in its tvOS support document, which is updated after each new version of tvOS comes out.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 17.5

Apple today released tvOS 17.4, the fourth major update to the tvOS 17 operating system that came out last September. tvOS 17.4 comes over a month after the release of tvOS 17.3.

tvOS 17.4 can be downloaded using the Settings app on the ‌Apple TV‌. Go to System > Software Update to get the new software. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates activated will be upgraded to tvOS 17.4 automatically.

Compared to other operating system updates, tvOS 17.4 updates are often minor in scale, focusing on bug fixes and other small improvements. We did not find new features during the tvOS 17.4 beta testing process.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 17.4

+1 for efficiency!
Search replace 4 with 5.
Search replace 3 with 4.
Search replace ‘fourth’ with ‘fifth’.
Add an additional ‘update’.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
I hope the TV app keeps improving. It’s still not as good as the iTunes Movies and iTunes TV apps were yet. Apple really jumped the gun when they decided to phase out iTunes on Apple devices.
Seems like its been a few years now of one step forward, two steps back.

Apple TV is one of the most used Apple products in our house, and as powerful as it is supposed to be, the number of times I have to reboot it, wait for a UI to update, find what I'm looking for, get Siri to work the way that it should, is mind boggling.

Asked AppleTV to play, "I Want to be Sedated by The Ramones" and I got, "If you think it could be serious, ask me to call Emergency Services or someone you trust." I should have followed up with "F* the Police by N.W.A." Wonder what would have happened? 🤔

Reactions: Crow_Servo

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
That's so funny and so sad at the same time. Like #5, AppleTVs are attached to every TV my house and get heavy use. What used to be a bunch of A/V dedicated boxes in a cabinet are all now functional within AppleTV apps. It is xfinity cable box, CD collection jukebox, home movie projector, podcast player, photo album, video phone (FaceTime) and more. I wish Apple could value them like "we" value them and give them commensurate attention.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Is Delta on tvOS yet? That would certainly be a good place for it. I have an Apple TV HD somewhere but I can't imagine it would play well on it.

It doesn't seem like Apple really knows what to do with tvOS, but the emulator rule change certainly helps.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I would really like to see Apple do something exciting and innovative with TV OS instead of just bug fixes.
I like to see the old tvOS app store history be able to clear and only retain app history relevant to whats installed. Who needs to look at all the apps you purchased (installed) and removed in the last several years? Some of those apps are irrelevant to whats being used currently.

Then there is the lack of Siri being able to get information off the web for locating content suggestions for all types of media genre's from international streaming sites. Yeah more than what just stream provides.

Last edited:

TruthAboveAllElse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2023
I would really like to see Apple do something exciting and innovative with TV OS instead of just bug fixes.
I just wish they would improve the UI and make it easier to use, and fix bugs.
The only exciting thing I would like to see regarding AppleTV is an actual Apple TV, rather than a box. All TVs sold now are smart anyway, so it is a pretty redundant product for most consumers.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
How much can you innovate TV on the software end? I'm good with bug fixes, thankyouverymuch.
Tbh the software end is probably the only side that actually needs innovating unless you are deeply into pixel peeping.
VPN support on Apple TV would be glorious for one.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’d like to see the Up Next get its own full tab rather than the thin horizontal scroll list we have now.
Almost the entire Home Screen is filled with new content rather than what I’m already watching.

Basically, it’s a big commercial.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
My Apple TV+ is the most buggy Apple item I use. Pretty much have to reboot every day. at least every month I have to delete and reinstall one or two apps. When it works it’s good….but the pain it inflicts is almost not worth the rewards.

Reactions: Razorpit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.