Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToyoCorollaGR

macrumors regular
May 21, 2023
Where’s the irony? I didn’t make an assumption either way.

Again, you’re assuming the problem is hard-coding because that fits your conclusion.
"You don’t know what they are doing, so you just assume it’s bad because if fits your argument."

You don't know what they are doing either, and you assume the best because that's what fits your narrative.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
"You don’t know what they are doing, so you just assume it’s bad because if fits your argument."

You don't know what they are doing either, and you assume the best because that's what fits your narrative.
Again, you’re just making that up. I specifically said that I don’t know and will see what comes out in court.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
No, it's not. Because I didn't state a conclusion. I don't know if Apple is telling the truth or not. We'll find out at the trial. I'm simply pointing out the possibility that there are technical reasons to not allow access to certain functionality without Apple doing additional work.
Apologies, I assumed you were taking them at their word.

I believe Apple does not want to allow any other watches to work as well as their own does, a reasonable business position but possibly anti-competitive, we'll find out at trial. Apple may have implemented the pairing process such that they have hard coded a list of compatible devices and have some hard coded checks for particular internal hardware identifiers, you are correct that this would require Apple to make changes.

And that could be a technical change, meaning that I was wrong and they would have to do something. It depends on what they look for but an opening up of the existing pairing and sync APIs could simply mean letting third party watches pretend to be Apple Watches, of course Apple wouldn't want that but that would likely work (as long as Apple isn't checking for internal hardware). If Apple is doing some of these internal checks they have already created and are doing extra work to make sure it is impossible for third party watches to pair.
This work wasn't free, so any objection to doing work to support third party watches should also apply to this extra work apple does to block third party watches.

Anyway, I don't even want third party watches, but I continue to believe that the idea that it would compromise Apple's ability to deliver great products isn't based in reality.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.