Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you care if Apple removed the battery percentage from the status bar on the iPhone X?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ashton Cofer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
In recent leaks, it has been shown that the status bar of the iPhone X will consist of the time on the left and cellular, wifi, and battery on the right. However, this would make it so that there wouldn't be enough room for the battery percentage indicator, and none of the leaked images have indicated that it would be there. It has become evident that removing the battery percentage could be a possibility and that Apple would rely only on the picture of the battery in the corner.

I would personally hate to see the battery percentage gone from the status bar as I like to know specifically how much battery I have left but I am interested to know what thoughts other people have about the situation.

iphone-x-status-bar-2.jpg

Leaked images of the iPhone X status bar via @stroughtonsmith

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I would care, but I see no reason why they would do that. There's always been the option to not show percentages, so even if these images are actual screenshots, the fact that they don't show a percentage doesn't mean that it can't show it.

Reactions: akash.nu

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
It would be fine if I can see the percentage in the Control Center, similar to how it works on the Apple Watch.

Or a simple tap or swipe on the battery indicator in the right "ear".

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As small as the battery percentage is, I actually appreciate looking at that knowingly where I am during my day. So hopefully there's an action to toggle this on or off.

Reactions: Reno Raines

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It would be fine if I can see the percentage in the Control Center, similar to how it works on the Apple Watch.

I wouldn't like that. Battery percentage is one of the things that I want to be able to see with just a glance. Just as important as the time or signal strength to me.

Reactions: Blueline29

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017

This isn't an acceptable solution for me, personally. I like the battery percentage to be glanceable 95% of the time I'm using the device. The point of the status bar is perpetually glanceable information on current status.

I've considered that it should remain an option in settings to either display the icon or the percentage. Let's say you choose percentage, then the current percentage is to the right of the wifi. When you plug the iPhone in, the percentage zooms and goes back like the new animation for the charging icon, and while it is charging, the percentage turns green, and when it reaches sub-20% it turns red.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I never look at the battery percentage and don't even have it turned on. So I'm fine with if they remove it.

user1408

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2016
All that sacrifices for a bit of a large display - no thx. Removing the jack, the home button, the taptic home button, TouchID, shutdown to be in settings->general, confirming apple pay payments with faceid + double click the power button...Apple is going down this year

Reactions: whcchief

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
All that sacrifices for a bit of a large display - no thx. Removing the jack, the home button, the taptic home button, TouchID, shutdown to be in settings->general, confirming apple pay payments with faceid + double click the power button...Apple is going down this year
Making doom pronouncements based on subjective and logical fallacy reasoning, about a phone you haven't seen or used, is not very wise or practical.

While you don't like a lot of the supposed new features, that doesn't mean there is going to be some massive boycott army that falls in line with you.

Apple is far from "going down" this year. Not everyone is going to like a new product. That doesn't mean that said person(s) won't be a different model iPhone, or some other product.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I wouldn't say their going downhill but they sure are removing features.

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
Would definitely be against seeing it go. The current toggle system is perfect how it is, and gives the user options. Personally, I like to see how my phone operates in a more granular manner.

Really, they could risk (in a lesser magnitude) a similar response to when the usage time remaining was removed in Sierra. People like information, and information provides a feeling of control.

There’s my essay ;)

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
They could fit it inside the battery icon?

Hope they keep it as I've had it turned on since the beginning of time.

Reactions: 44267547

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
And what about the Bluetooth icon and arm icon?

Exactly. For me, the "ears" are fundamentally poor design, because they are sacrificing something useful (key glanceable info in the status bar) for the sake of something less useful (an extra bit of display that can't be used for actual content, since it's cut off in middle). It's almost mystifying to think that users won't be able to see if BT is on/connected, alarm is on, battery %, etc. at a glance any longer.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
This isn't an acceptable solution for me, personally. I like the battery percentage to be glanceable 95% of the time I'm using the device. The point of the status bar is perpetually glanceable information on current status.

I've considered that it should remain an option in settings to either display the icon or the percentage. Let's say you choose percentage, then the current percentage is to the right of the wifi. When you plug the iPhone in, the percentage zooms and goes back like the new animation for the charging icon, and while it is charging, the percentage turns green, and when it reaches sub-20% it turns red.
I'd absolutely love this. Sticks with the current coloring and matches the supposed call indicator on the time, seems (hopefully) obvious to Apple that this is the best way to deal with the problem. Either this or the supposed stacked status bar shown on 9to5Mac

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They could fit it inside the battery icon?

Hope they keep it as I've had it turned on since the beginning of time.

I like that idea of the percentage being embedded into the battery icon. It's consolidation.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
What configuration are you going for? 256GB? I think 64GB is too small nowadays.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I would miss it but if I could view it elsewhere on the device, I'd soon get used to it. No battery percentage anywhere would definitely be a big negative though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.