Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M115CLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Hey folks,
I’ve just bought an Apple TV 4K along with the Belkin Ultra HD High Speed 4K HDMI cable from Apple Store.
When I’m watching something whether it be Tehran on Apple TV+, American Sniper from my Library in the TV app or Mulan on Disney+ app, I’m getting the audio stuttering.

As soon as it’s stuttered, I’ve gone and done a Speedtest via the Apple TV app “Speedtest” and the test came back with:

Download Speed of 43.3Mbps
Upload Speed of 31.3Mbps

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
does It do this all the time? or just occasionally? (everything you play, every atmos title you play, or every 5th thing you play,)

is your aTV connected directly to the TV? to an audio receiver?
are you using your TV speakers? external sound bar? audio receiver?
what model are the TV and any sound devices you're using.

try unplugging and replugging the HDMI to make sure it's well seated.

if you can, try using the apps built into the TV as a test, to help narrow down where the problem is coming from.

apple recommends 25Mb for streaming, so your speed is fast enough. Is it possible you or others in your house were downloading anything?

M115CLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Thanks for coming back to me mate.

does It do this all the time? or just occasionally? (everything you play, every atmos title you play, or every 5th thing you play,)

I’ve only watched 4 things, a small workaround was disable then re-enable Dolby Atmos. It’s been intermittent but it’s very regular.

is your aTV connected directly to the TV? to an audio receiver?

It’s connected directly to the TV

are you using your TV speakers? external sound bar? audio receiver?

I’m using the built in TV speakers

what model are the TV and any sound devices you're using.

TV is a Philips70PUS7555 70" 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

try unplugging and replugging the HDMI to make sure it's well seated.

I’ve done this, I also replaced the cable in case it was that, that was faulty

if you can, try using the apps built into the TV as a test, to help narrow down where the problem is coming from.

I’ve only used the TV built in apps mate, ATV+, Disney & My own iTunes library movies

apple recommends 25Mb for streaming, so your speed is fast enough. Is it possible you or others in your house were downloading anything?

No mate, I tried again whilst everyone was out and nothing using it.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
built in apps mate, ATV+, Disney & My own iTunes library movies

I think the person means try using the TV's Apps NOT the AppleTV 4K apps. see if there is any issue with ATMOS coming straight from the TV/apps and not an issue with the HDMI or ATV. I hope that makes sense.

Can you try the AppleTV 4K apps without using Dolby Vision or HDR and still try for Atmos? wondering if a video setting could be causing anything.

When you mention "already replaced the cable in case that was faulty" did you have another cable with similar issue and decided to try the Belkin or you had 2 Belkin's and swapped?

Reactions: waw74

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Is this on the public release of tvOS or a developer preview / beta release ?

Also I would suggest a restart of the AppleTV then try what you are testing again.

AsaMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2020

Also I would suggest a restart of the AppleTV then try what you are testing again.
I am also having the same issue. It only started happening with the latest version of Apple tvOS which updated today.

I am having other audio issues - sometimes AppleTV is not detecting ATMOS availability I have to do a HotPlug to fix that issue and volume levels seem to go up an down on Netflix "Our Planet" a great test video.

Broadband Rate 52Mbps, 8K HDMI 2.1 Cables, 18Gbps 5 Port Gofanco Switch, Connected to HDMI 1 of Samsung 2020 UN50TU7000 and HW-Q70T Soundbar connected as ARC to the HDMI 2 of TV.

I have restarted the Apple Several Times.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I am also having the same issue. It only started happening with the latest version of Apple tvOS which updated today.

I am having other audio issues - sometimes AppleTV is not detecting ATMOS availability I have to do a HotPlug to fix that issue and volume levels seem to go up an down on Netflix "Our Planet" a great test video.

Broadband Rate 52Mbps, 8K HDMI 2.1 Cables, 18Gbps 5 Port Gofanco Switch, Connected to HDMI 1 of Samsung 2020 UN50TU7000 and HW-Q70T Soundbar connected as ARC to the HDMI 2 of TV.

I have restarted the Apple Several Times.
I updated to the most recent (09/29/20 release) build 18K5036d and I had stuttering Atmos or not, in YouTube, YouTubeTV and NetFlix. Disney+ with like Star Wars Episode IX - zero stuttering. Very strange.
**** edit, I do not even know what happened, but it fixed itself, maybe... this was a strange one, even for me. Netflix is fine, YouTube is fine, YouTubeTV fine, everything works now.

I reset TV, AppleTV, Sound Bar, still stuttering on those 3 apps but not in Disney+ in Dolby Vision and Atmos.

I changed TV output settings, eArc on and off, still stuttering. Force closing app, reopen, still stuttering.
Changing sound output from Passthrough, to Auto, from PCM to Bitstream. Still stuttering.
Changed all sound outputs to eArc, Auto. I've been on Passthrough since I bought this TV / soundbar setup.

So with everything sound to Auto. Force Closed YouTube, reopened and the video I had playing is no longer stuttering. YouTubeTV no longer stuttering. No audio stutters at all.

I am not sure if anything I did, fixed it, but I am a little hesitant to change settings back to potentially reintroduce a stutter because that was quite a frustration. No video stutters at all but audio stuttered every one second, it was just coming on, going off, coming on, going off, over and over.

The TV shows Dolby Vision when video changes, the only way I can sort of verify Atmos is enabled is the sound bar display will show ATMOS. And it was stuttering in Netflix show with or without atmos, youtube no atmos or 4K 'yet', youtube tv no atmos but Disney+ never waivered a bit.

I am going to update the other, very similar setup in the bedroom and see if any audio issues show up and if any changes... changes anything.

Also just saw your comment on Atmos not being reported properly, neither of my TV's were reporting Atmos properly either with the previous AppleTV developerbuild, was showing just PCM, now showing everytime Atmos content plays.

LR setup : LG CX 77" OLED + LG SN11RG soundbar + AppleTV 4K, CableMatters '8K' 48 Gbps cables.
- AppleTV connected to TV, Soundbar connected through eArc
BR setup : LG C9 65" OLED + LG SN9YG soundbar + AppleTV 4K, CableMatters '8K' 48 Gbps cables.
- AppleTV connected to TV, Soundbar connected through eArc

Wyatt82

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Same for me. I got a 48 inch LG CX and an Apple TV 4K connected with a Best Buy rocket fish cable. My sound bar is a bose solo first gen. It started stuttering after watching Apple TV + content, I would hear a slight pause then it would start stuttering even the tile navigation sounds would cut in and out. Only way to solve is unplug the Apple TV and sound bar and then all is well again. Very odd.

M115CLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
I think the person means try using the TV's Apps NOT the AppleTV 4K apps. see if there is any issue with ATMOS coming straight from the TV/apps and not an issue with the HDMI or ATV. I hope that makes sense.

Can you try the AppleTV 4K apps without using Dolby Vision or HDR and still try for Atmos? wondering if a video setting could be causing anything.

When you mention "already replaced the cable in case that was faulty" did you have another cable with similar issue and decided to try the Belkin or you had 2 Belkin's and swapped?

Hey, sorry for the delayed response.

Yeah I had another cable and swapped it for the Belkin which is the recommended.

I’ve tried the YouTube app within the TV and have no issues with Dolby Atmos videos on there.

Reactions: BJMRamage

M115CLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016

I’m not on any Beta’s mate.

I tried the restart and same outcome. ?

Reactions: mmomega

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
FWIW... this sounds like the same thing being reported over here in the Roku Forums https://community.roku.com/t5/Playb...-Dolby-Atmos/m-p/624306/highlight/true#M20323

TL:DR; it's an issue processing Atmos 7.1 audio, and changing the output to Digital DTS or PCM-Stereo fixes the stuttering. Obviously, also loosing 7.1 audio in the deal.

My guess, non-Apple hardware struggles to decode whatever exact flavor of atmos encoding Apple uses... but that's just a guess.

M115CLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
hard wire your ATV
Surely this isn't necessary otherwise it wouldn't have wireless capabilities. The ATV gets 150mbps wirelessly when I run a speediest directly on there ATV.

I've called Apple Support who went through some basic stuff but when I told them what we'd done from your guys help they have sent a box to send it to them to repair or replace.

I'll keep you posted.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Yeah, I'm also seeing this with an Apple TV and LG CX. This is a pretty popular reddit thread about it, in case anyone wants to read more about the issue.

M115CLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
I've also noticed that if I'm on the Apple TV and use the Youtube App to search for Dolby Atmos content. It plays this absolutely fine but then when I play some ATV content straight after then it starts stuttering again.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I’m not on any Beta’s mate.

I tried the restart and same outcome. ?
Mine still does this occasionally, did it this morning. About a half second audio stutter, every other second.
Turning the TV off from the TV remote, then back on removes the stutter. Multiple times this has happened and this fixed it every time.
Leave AppleTV on, TV off, wait 5-10 seconds, TV back on, restart video and no stutter.

The TV has updated software itself twice since I firsted posted about this issue. AppleTV through several software updates with no rhyme or reason as to what actually causes it.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
stuttering happens when I finished looking at a purchased movie via the computers app and every thing stutters afterward, sling and etc... the only app that does not stutter is lol, yeah, the apple tv+, everything plays dandy, leave apple tv+ and everything stutters. this is on an lg cx.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
This is also happening to me. Basically whenever I watch something with Atmos and then go back to a stereo source (like YouTube) it will then have the audio cut in and out, if I play a 5.1 source then it will go back to normal. Really frustrating.

My setup is an LG CX, Sonos Arc and Apple TV 4K

hankbear

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019
I replaced all my HDMI cables with 8K HDMI ones. I know it is overkill but that is a lot of information moving around and I wanted to have the extra headroom. I was having issues with Dolby Vision not activating properly. That fixed everything.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
I replaced all my HDMI cables with 8K HDMI ones. I know it is overkill but that is a lot of information moving around and I wanted to have the extra headroom. I was having issues with Dolby Vision not activating properly. That fixed everything.
Do you have issues with Dolby Atmos stuttering?

hankbear

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019
Do you have issues with Dolby Atmos stuttering?
No. But the 8K version HDMI cables solved a lot of problems. My son's Xbox One sound stuttered a LOT on his 4K TV until I changed to a better cable. I was having several problems in the living room until I upgraded all the HDMI cables. I would suggest starting there. At least good 4K HDMI cables. It really can make a world of difference.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Hey folks,
I’ve just bought an Apple TV 4K along with the Belkin Ultra HD High Speed 4K HDMI cable from Apple Store.
When I’m watching something whether it be Tehran on Apple TV+, American Sniper from my Library in the TV app or Mulan on Disney+ app, I’m getting the audio stuttering.

As soon as it’s stuttered, I’ve gone and done a Speedtest via the Apple TV app “Speedtest” and the test came back with:

Upload Speed of 31.3Mbps

Network issues? Seriously, almost all of the Apple Music, Siri, or appleTV issues we ever have is when the Wifi is effed. Also, we had a HomePod that would buzz, but that was traced to shortwave radio interference

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Network issues? Seriously, almost all of the Apple Music, Siri, or appleTV issues we ever have is when the Wifi is effed. Also, we had a HomePod that would buzz, but that was traced to shortwave radio interference
No it's definitely not a network issue, it's an issue with the Atmos Codec then going to a different codec.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
No. But the 8K version HDMI cables solved a lot of problems. My son's Xbox One sound stuttered a LOT on his 4K TV until I changed to a better cable. I was having several problems in the living room until I upgraded all the HDMI cables. I would suggest starting there. At least good 4K HDMI cables. It really can make a world of difference.
I really don't think its an issue with the HDMI cable as other people have noted above, It's an issue (I believe with the handing off of the codec from Atmos to another one)

Trocaljr

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2020
Hey folks,

Upload Speed of 31.3Mbps

I’ve been having the same issues and I’ve found a workaround to it. I don’t think there is a fix for it since it’s been going on for so long. Here is the link to the Reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/hrsbay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.