Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raking

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
ATV 4K and LG CX
Same issue ... here‘s the temporary solution I was able to achieve:

After shuddering begins, toggle off and back on Dolby Atmos option in sound settle of LG. The shuddering stops. The same didn’t happen for me when I restarted TV and ATV, un-lugged and replugged ATV and TV, or switched HDMI cables.

The above work around seems to be working. However, it’s more than obvious by now that this is an LG issue. For all the LG owners here, we should make LG aware of this in big numbers so that they can fix it! Otherwise, this will linger on ....

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
ATV 4K and LG CX
Same issue ... here‘s the temporary solution I was able to achieve:

After shuddering begins, toggle off and back on Dolby Atmos option in sound settle of LG. The shuddering stops. The same didn’t happen for me when I restarted TV and ATV, un-lugged and replugged ATV and TV, or switched HDMI cables.

The above work around seems to be working. However, it’s more than obvious by now that this is an LG issue. For all the LG owners here, we should make LG aware of this in big numbers so that they can fix it! Otherwise, this will linger on ....
Do you use an external audio system through HDMI like a sound bar or receiver or are you just using the tv speakers and experiencing this issue?

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
I’ve been having the same issues and I’ve found a workaround to it. I don’t think there is a fix for it since it’s been going on for so long. Here is the link to the Reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/hrsbay
I wish I could do this but the Sonos Arc only has one audio input and is really designed to work with eARC so it’s not really a long term solution. I really hope LG or Apple Fixes this soon

Raking

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
Do you use an external audio system through HDMI like a sound bar or receiver or are you just using the tv speakers and experiencing this issue?
I have a soundbar connected with eARC (LG SN11RG). However, even if the internal TV speakers are used, the issue presents itself.

GiantKiwi

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Cambridge, UK
I wish we could find out if it's an Apple or LG issue.

It's not an LG issue, LG's Atmos capable TV's work fine with Amazon FireTV 4K stick (went around the different stores with my stick when I was shopping for a TV a few months back, and asked the attendants for permission to plug it in - don't trust store default demos).

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
It's not an LG issue, LG's Atmos capable TV's work fine with Amazon FireTV 4K stick (went around the different stores with my stick when I was shopping for a TV a few months back, and asked the attendants for permission to plug it in - don't trust store default demos).
Smart, Yeah its working fine from my PS5 and the built in LG apps to my Sonos Arc.

Wyatt82

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
I can reliably fix the stuttering by going into Netflix and loading non Dolby 4K content for 5 seconds or so then come out and it goes away. It definitely feels like a bug, I also switched to the Bellini cable and it made no difference at all

Reactions: atxyde

atxyde

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2020
I can reliably fix the stuttering by going into Netflix and loading non Dolby 4K content for 5 seconds or so then come out and it goes away. It definitely feels like a bug, I also switched to the Bellini cable and it made no difference at all

Today I got a new LG CX 65 and after configuring the Apple TV to Dolby Atmos the same thing happened. Audio started to stutter on non-Dolby content. I disabled Dolby Atmos on the Apple TV and ot was still stuttering. I decided to test Netflix with a HD 5.1 content and suddenly it was fixed. This is an Apple bug.

b99g51

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Hey folks,
I’ve just bought an Apple TV 4K along with the Belkin Ultra HD High Speed 4K HDMI cable from Apple Store.
When I’m watching something whether it be Tehran on Apple TV+, American Sniper from my Library in the TV app or Mulan on Disney+ app, I’m getting the audio stuttering.

As soon as it’s stuttered, I’ve gone and done a Speedtest via the Apple TV app “Speedtest” and the test came back with:

Download Speed of 43.3Mbps
Upload Speed of 31.3Mbps

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Although it’s been a whi since you’ve posted this issue, I was wondering if you’ve resolved the issue and how? Since you have a Sony TV that is capable of displaying 4K HDR/UHD content, the HDMI cable must specifically be connected to the HTMI ports on all devices that is labeled as HDCP 2.2! This HDMI port is designed to play 4K HDR/UHD HD Content protection (same as the copyright protection). Other ports will not play the audio if the movie/program you are watching is in 4K HDR/UHD format. Since your TV is compatible with the 4K HDR/UHD format, it must have at least one port that is labeled HDCP 2.2. If you intend to use an AV receiver, the receiver must also have the HDCP 2.2 port to play the HDR/UHD contents.

although your case seems to be a bit different, but it’s good to know about those details. You won’t see the problem until you play a video/movie that says UHD content. Then you’ll have the audio problems if HDMI cable is not connected to the HDCP 2.2 port. Additionally, Apple TV 4K doesn’t support HDMI ARC port to play Dolby Atmos/Dolby Vision audio. So you have to make sure your Apple TV is not connected to the HDMI ARC port. Standard 4K movies/programs will play on any HDMI port, but not the movies/programs that specifically says UHD format.

if you connect the Apple TV directly to the TV’s HDCP port, you do not need to change the settings in TV to Ultra Deep color, which is the format that supports the HDR/UHD format. by connecting the HDMI cable to HDCP 2.2 port it automatically selects the correct settings on the TV to Ultra Deep Color / HDR10, referring to the 10 bit color capability.

there are a few other things that will prevent the normal output of the video/audio, you can read it at the Apple support website here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.