Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
@priitv8 Well, fortunately we still have Net Neutrality in my Country! In your too, I suppose (Estonia, right?). As far as I know no ISP has the right (and for now not the interest to waste resources for it either!) to monitor people traffics.

@x-evil-x This is getting too complicated. So, I have checked about the ipastore. It says it's an ipa that must be installed in the ATV (like I do with Kodi every 7 days. Stupid Apple!). They suggest to use "ifunbox" for it. I tried downloading and running it but the Mac version is nearly 2 years old and doesn't recognise the ATV 4K (with Xcode open and everything functioning on the latter).

Sure, I believe I can still use Xcode to upload ipastore, but they want a bit too much money for just testing. :) Then I hate subscriptions. And the HDR in Kodi is broken, so it isn't my most favorite option (I'll buy Infuse 5 Pro which at the end does exactly what I was looking for. And trakt.tv support in both Infure and Plex will also sync my watched library with Plex, that I use with my kitchen's TV. Hopefully).

I may give Popcorn a try just for testing purposes, compiling and installing everything by myself (once I make the deb file I imagine I just need to resign it with a new provisioning profile every 7 days like with Kodi, I suppose).

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
@priitv8 Well, fortunately we still have Net Neutrality in my Country! In your too, I suppose (Estonia, right?). As far as I know no ISP has the right (and for now not the interest to waste resources for it either!) to monitor people traffics.
Yes, I think we do have it here in Estonia too. But ISPs are mandated to provide such info to law enforcement, should they ask.
In Finland they started trolling people, for example: https://goo.gl/SAAAbP

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Yes, I think we do have it here in Estonia too. But ISPs are mandated to provide such info to law enforcement, should they ask.
In Finland they started trolling people, for example: https://goo.gl/SAAAbP

Great, in Europe as well, then.. Actually I was going to say that actively monitoring the IP traffic, even reporting the results to a third party seems quite an invasion of the privacy. So I just checked, it seems I was right. Some small ISPs in Italy did that a couple of years ago, the FAPAV ("Anti Piracy Federation") tried to impose it and they lost in Court for privacy reasons indeed (the Privacy Authority was strongly against the practice). Some people go banana here in Italy when privacy is involved. Must be some (rightful?) paranoia related to the fascist historical memories...

So, for now we are safe. They can go monitor their wives and sisters in Hollywood if they like, but they must leave my IP traffic alone!!! :D:p

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
So, for now we are safe. They can go monitor their wives and sisters in Hollywood if they like, but they must leave my IP traffic alone!!! :D:p
This is an eternal mouse-and-cat game, but there are enough countermeasures to maintain privacy available as well.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

@x-evil-x This is getting too complicated. So, I have checked about the ipastore. It says it's an ipa that must be installed in the ATV (like I do with Kodi every 7 days. Stupid Apple!). They suggest to use "ifunbox" for it. I tried downloading and running it but the Mac version is nearly 2 years old and doesn't recognise the ATV 4K (with Xcode open and everything functioning on the latter).

Sure, I believe I can still use Xcode to upload ipastore, but they want a bit too much money for just testing. :) Then I hate subscriptions. And the HDR in Kodi is broken, so it isn't my most favorite option (I'll buy Infuse 5 Pro which at the end does exactly what I was looking for. And trakt.tv support in both Infure and Plex will also sync my watched library with Plex, that I use with my kitchen's TV. Hopefully).

I may give Popcorn a try just for testing purposes, compiling and installing everything by myself (once I make the deb file I imagine I just need to resign it with a new provisioning profile every 7 days like with Kodi, I suppose).
its not 7 days you pay them for a year contract. They put your appletv id into the system and you can instal the programs they have onto your appletv with ifunbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.