Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Nice. I'm skimping on this one and avoid spending more than £7 a HDMI cable unless I have to. Because the Apple TV remote uses Bluetooth I'll probably tuck it behind the TV this weekend.

I love gadgets by don't like them to be a primary visual focus. I cannot wait to hide the Sky box once I get the new Sky Q box with bluetooth remote next year.

Yes, i'd definitely hide the sky box it's got no design to it, just rectangle like AV boxes 30+ years ago, hence why the ATV was such a refreshing design! Not a fan of Murdoch and his sky empire - his channels don't cater for my tastes - thats why ATV suits me :)
[doublepost=1509116197][/doublepost]
I didn't hide my ATV4, but I did make a mount for it for the top of my TV.

Due to a new baby, I was trying to eliminate the devices I had on my entertainment shelf, but I did not want to remove the ATV4. I couldn't hide it behind, because my family uses IR remotes as well as the Siri Remote.

So I made this. View attachment 727987
The photo is at a high angle to show the mount and the cables, but sitting right in front of the TV, it blends pretty well with the Samsung.

AWESOME!

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I didn't hide my ATV4, but I did make a mount for it for the top of my TV.

Due to a new baby, I was trying to eliminate the devices I had on my entertainment shelf, but I did not want to remove the ATV4. I couldn't hide it behind, because my family uses IR remotes as well as the Siri Remote.

So I made this. View attachment 727987
The photo is at a high angle to show the mount and the cables, but sitting right in front of the TV, it blends pretty well with the Samsung.

You could mount behind the tv as IR will bounce off walls and ceilings.
My ATV3 used to work perfectly in that position.
Something like this is what you’d need, either attach to TV or Wall.
f66d1ebe7c381e07312076e4b4330ba4.jpg

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
You could mount behind the tv as IR will bounce off walls and ceilings.
My ATV3 used to work perfectly in that position.
Something like this is what you’d need, either attach to TV or Wall.
f66d1ebe7c381e07312076e4b4330ba4.jpg
I might give that a try, although I am surprised that the IR would bounce off of flat paint.

Before making my own mount, I search for mounts to buy. I found plenty for the ATV2/3, but none for the ATV4. Keep in mind that this was shortly after the ATV4 launched.

Being a do it yourselfer, I will probably end up making one for the back of the TV, but maybe I might check out some of the new ATV4/4K mounts that are out there.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
What Apple need to do is have a setting for what your TV can handle, (4K HDR 60hz in my case) and then have options for automatic HDR switching and automatic refresh rate switching.

I would have automatic HDR switching enabled but Refresh rate switching disabled as the Apple TV seems to handle 24fps better than my TV does, it is a 60hz panel after all. I think this would cover a lot of people’s woes.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Cool. Normally the 60fps setting on the ATV 4K copes quite well with judder, if it's there you could try the native 24p whilst watching the iTunes film. We urgently need Apple to provide auto switching on this matter :)

Sure. I will try 24 next time. However I am confident Apple will sort out these refresh rate related issues in due course.

4K documentaries on Netflix are stunning and judder free though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

drdoom182

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2017
Thanks for your post and invitation to share our quirks.

I’m having an issue where, once the Apple TV 4k goes into “sleep mode” and I awaken it (after turning on my tv or switching to the applicable input), it’s a black screen. My Samsung 55JS8500 doesn’t detect a signal. I have to do a soft reset in order to get a picture again.

I know the Apple TV is on because the white light is on.

I found a fix.

I found that switching to 4K HDR 50 hz instead of 60 did the trick.

But totally bummed I can’t get the full experience.

Hey guys

So to go along with this thread, I have a Samsung UE55JS8500 on the latest firmware (1501 for me).Might be useful to see trends across Apple TV's by themselves or with combinations of specific sets/manufacturers and hopefully help each other out.

Here's a list of quirks I've noticed with my Apple TV 4K, will be great to know who has similar or the opposite. Will try to get some pictures of a few that I can below, if anyone's interested.

• When setting 4:2:2 in 4K HDR 60Hz I get really bad banding on the UI, especially noticeable on the grey gradient for the settings and whilst watching some content - noticeable on trailers for Ghost in the Shell in Movies and Planet Earth in iPlayer.
• Setting it to 4:2:0 4K HDR 60Hz eliminates the banding issue.
• I get a lot of skips in motion watching content at 4k HDR 60Hz Apple TV setting on apps such as BBC iPlayer. This goes away when setting 50hz or lower.
• Watching the Apple keynote, the processing is so over the top everything overly sharpened to the point where things look rendered.
• Real Racing 3, with the Apple TV at 4k HDR 60Hz, experienced many lags and jitters when I played the opening 'tutorial' lap.

(all references are to HDR are HDR10 for me with my particular TV, which doesn't support Dolby Vision)

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
But totally bummed I can’t get the full experience.

You will, just once tvOS 11.2 goes live as once the setting has been enabled you can leave it on that and video will auto switch depending on content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.