Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hopsenberry

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2015
Yeh I've since did some googling and found that out.

What happens to Netflix shows that indicate it supports Dolby Vision then? Does ATV and the Samsung TV play it in HDR10 instead?
Easy way to test: Set AppleTV to SDR output and turn on Match Content. Then see if Netflix triggers HDR on your TV.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2004
Wow - I NEVER would've thought that this would be the correct setting to do. I have a TCL 6 Series 75" and when I got the new AppleTV, although the true HDR/DV content looked amazing as expected, the SDR/HD content looked absolutely terrible on the eyes. I figured it was just something on my end and I needed to play around with the settings. It was extremely frustrating though. I just figured that obviously I would want the "highest/best video setting" possible so that's why I default chose the 4k 60 DV as the video option. This has drastically helped my viewing experience. I recommend to everybody - CHANGE TO 4k SDR AND MATCH CONTENT RANGE/FRAME. Thank you OP (even if you don't actually use this setting haha)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Yes this is the safest setting. I don’t like fake hdr and it’s better for the tv in the long run.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Easy way to test: Set AppleTV to SDR output and turn on Match Content. Then see if Netflix triggers HDR on your TV.

Match content on the new Apple TV makes viewing music videos a painful process on an LG CX.

I have my TV set to SDR 60 or SDR50 and with match content on, scrolling through music videos on Apple Music goes into a black screen with a delay and then the audio stops, does a skip back 2 seconds and then it starts playing again.

Turning off match content and it’s flawless with no disruption of sound or picture in the music app

With the old Apple TV 4K, match content only resulted in a black screen whilst switching between videos but the music continued.

So I’m not sure why sound disrupts in the new Apple TV 4k

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Match content on the new Apple TV makes viewing music videos a painful process on an LG CX.

I have my TV set to SDR 60 or SDR50 and with match content on, scrolling through music videos on Apple Music goes into a black screen with a delay and then the audio stops, does a skip back 2 seconds and then it starts playing again.

Turning off match content and it’s flawless with no disruption of sound or picture in the music app

With the old Apple TV 4K, match content only resulted in a black screen whilst switching between videos but the music continued.

So I’m not sure why sound disrupts in the new Apple TV 4k
Just tested with my lg pled and same thing. It’s the only app I’ve seen with this issue. Hopefully a software update will fix that.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I find it kind of funny that I have none of the issues stated here on my LG OLED B7A TV (2017). I set my Apple TV 4K gen 1 to DV/60 Hz with Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate to on. It always switches from DV to SDR when needed or from DV to HDR as well. I prefer the DV main UI setting as it is more soft and pleasant to my eyes at any time of the day. There is no issue with burn in either as LG has two functions called Pixel Refresher and Screen Shift so nothing is on the screen at the same point for long enough to cause any burn in.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Why don’t u just try watching music videos and tell me if the screen goes black as u switch between videos?

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
Wow - I NEVER would've thought that this would be the correct setting to do. I have a TCL 6 Series 75" and when I got the new AppleTV, although the true HDR/DV content looked amazing as expected, the SDR/HD content looked absolutely terrible on the eyes. I figured it was just something on my end and I needed to play around with the settings. It was extremely frustrating though. I just figured that obviously I would want the "highest/best video setting" possible so that's why I default chose the 4k 60 DV as the video option. This has drastically helped my viewing experience. I recommend to everybody - CHANGE TO 4k SDR AND MATCH CONTENT RANGE/FRAME. Thank you OP (even if you don't actually use this setting haha)
Thank you for this.

I just bought a new ATV and didn’t like the fake HDR (my Sony tv does not support DV so it’s not an option). Now, most of the time it is standard 4K but while watching Apple+ content it automatically switches to HDR. It’s a much more natural experience.

onafriday

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2020
Yeh I've since did some googling and found that out.

What happens to Netflix shows that indicate it supports Dolby Vision then? Does ATV and the Samsung TV play it in HDR10 instead?
Yeah, anything labeled in DV will still play in HDR on a Samsung.

I leave my ATV set to 4K SDR as, in addition to forced HDR on non-HDR content with the 4K HDR setting, the menus are way too bright for nighttime viewing.

Matching dynamic range gets the job done, but I actually have to turn off matching frame rate since about half the time, it’ll get the frame rate right but not turn on HDR.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Why don’t u just try watching music videos and tell me if the screen goes black as u switch between videos?
I don't really care for music vids since Michael Jackson died but I tried it and the screen goes black for a few seconds. I thought a swipe down would show vid list like YouTube lol. I'm sure Apple will do something about it but I will have to check my settings also.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
My screen does not go black. It shows a spinning loading icon while it loads the next music video. I do also have an 8K 48 Gbps HDMI cable connecting my Apple TV 4K gen 1 to my Yamaha home theater receiver. Not sure if that matters, but the extra bandwidth could be helping things in my case.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
its not the cable. in any case mine is a 48gbps as well. Im in Australia where TV and content are 50hz Pal as opposed to 60hz NTSC which is what you are using. I have set it manually to 60hz so the UI is faster.

With match content on, it should correctly adjust content to the correct frame rate regardless of what the UI is set too.

What I have found is

with 50hz UI, the screen goes black when scrolling through music videos and also when it maximises to fill the screen.

This is actually correct behaviour since most content in music videos would be 30fps and the TV needs to switch to that from the default 50hz. This causes the black screen. Unless HDMI 2.1 is enabled, fast switching won't work. I believe its called QMS which you can google about.

What shouldn't happen though is if the UI is set to 60hz and match content on, the black screen between switching of music videos should not happen since its only doubling of the 30fps but it still does...

Now what bothers me even more is not the black screen but rather the pausing of music

With my Apple TV 4K Gen 1 connected to a stereo set of homepods, the black screen still occurred but the music wouldn't stop playing and I was fine with that.

With my Apple TV 4K Gen 2 and the exact same setup. The black screen appears, the music plays still... then the image appears, music stops, the scrubber goes back 1-3seconds and then music resumes.

so if I set it manually to 50hz SDR and have match content off, the black screen doesn't happen, the music doesn't skip BUT the video has judder

if I set it manually to 60hz SDR, turn match content off, every works perfectly well for 30/60fps content unless I use an app like amazon UK or any Australian app where the frame rate is 24fps and then it everything is just sped up and artificial.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Music videos in the Music app are playing at 24 Hz for me. After more testing, the screen does go black for a few seconds after the loading wheel finishes spinning. I don’t have any black screens or audio skipping while scrolling through videos in the Music app.

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
I’ve gone back to 4KSDR without match content HDR.

I found that with HDR sources on Apple TV+ and Amazon, the picture was ‘bleached out’ when it had light sources like lamps etc on screen. Almost like the room on screen was filled with cigarette smoke.

Switching it all off and leaving the content on 4KSDR, puts the colour back into the picture. I also noticed when HDR source was picked up by my Sony TV, the brightness went up automatically to Max, which I believe is standard behaviou.

Much happier picture wise with standard 4K in my current set up.

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
I’ve gone back to 4KSDR without match content HDR.

I found that with HDR sources on Apple TV+ and Amazon, the picture was ‘bleached out’ when it had light sources like lamps etc on screen. Almost like the room on screen was filled with cigarette smoke.

Switching it all off and leaving the content on 4KSDR, puts the colour back into the picture. I also noticed when HDR source was picked up by my Sony TV, the brightness went up automatically to Max, which I believe is standard behaviou.

Much happier picture wise with standard 4K in my current set up.
Same for me. I’ve come to the conclusion that 4K SDR using ISF (Bright Room) picture setting on my LG CX, a setting not available with HDR enabled, provides a better picture with more accurate colors than any of the settings available with HDR enabled.

Reactions: Airsculpture

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
I‘ve got an LG OLED CX TV. The screensavers look awful on 4K/SDR compared to having DV selected. I see no downside after watching many different types of content to having DV with all matching on. I usually go with the experts on this type of thing but I just don’t agree with them here.

Using ATV 4K 2nd gen.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I‘ve got an LG OLED CX TV. The screensavers look awful on 4K/SDR compared to having DV selected. I see no downside after watching many different types of content to having DV with all matching on. I usually go with the experts on this type of thing but I just don’t agree with them here.

Using ATV 4K 2nd gen.
The only issue being with some apps such as YouTube for example that doesn’t support dynamic range matching then you’ll get a fake Dolby Vision applied to all content.
Fair enough if you don’t use any other apps but that’s one of the reasons why 4KSDR is the recommended option.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
The only issue being with some apps such as YouTube for example that doesn’t support dynamic range matching then you’ll get a fake Dolby Vision applied to all content.
Fair enough if you don’t use any other apps but that’s one of the reasons why 4KSDR is the recommended option.
That’s cool with me, as I genuinely don’t notice it on YT, which I watch a lot of, but I don’t go there for stunning visuals. HBO or Netflix would be a different matter.

Love this TV, it’s so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.