Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Previous gen Apple TV remotes (without the mute button), suddenly stopped working yesterday on two different Apple TV's.
On the first one, after restarting the Apple TV without fixing the issue, I pulled out a spare Apple TV remote and it paired with the Apple TV and started working. Fine.
Then at night, the remote on the bedroom Apple TV (same type remote w/o mute button) stopped working. I charged it. Nothing. Interestingly, I held down the TV+Menu buttons simultaneously and after a few seconds, my Apple TV restarted! So the remote is working. Plus volume up/down works (but that may be IR, not sure), so the remote seems to be working. Nothing I tried (including removing the remote in Settings using my iPhone Apple TV remote app) worked.

I suppose it could be coincidence, but two Apple TV remotes both stop working on the same day in the same manner (not dead, just don't work with Apple TV anymore)?

Anyone have any ideas what happened?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
There's remote bugs along these lines. Reboot the remotes. I know the concept of having to reboot a remote can seem weird but that usually solves this problem. Hopefully Apple will get around to debugging them eventually.

Personally, I just gave up and use a third party remote to control my AppleTVs. Anything other than Siri control works fine and if I need Siri controls, I can always use the virtual AppleTV remote on an iDevice.

Last edited:

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
If you bought it new and it’s within the one year warranty go to an Apple Store or talk to Apple support. It’s probably a manufacturing defect and they’ll replace it free of charge for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.