Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
This sounds like an excuse for a show not continuing because it didn’t resonate with much of an audience. In the end, what matters is the amount of viewers. Shows that have gotten cancelled in the past probably want to blame something or someone, even if it has nothing to do with reality.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Value of apple is up.
Compared to when?

They were over 3T and are back down now. If you follow the tech market they aren’t beating it by 10x like it once was.

I think this might be the last Mac Pro. What purpose does it serve at this point?
The single point of the MP is low sales. It works here because a firm needs only a few MPs for the top techs. But once a firm is editing on the MP then all their other computers are friendlier towards the Mac. Remove the MP from service, push the editor to go to Windows, and you’ve just given the entire firm a reason to switch.

Apple financials, including profits, remain strong too. The stock is up around 38% YTD.
Again, compared to what? Apple isn’t as hot as they used to be.

Listen, I’m not suggesting Tim is a dirtbag. He’s probably one of the best CEOs out there. My complaint is that, as a multi-decade Mac user, I’m getting more and more frustrated by the junk and total contempt for the customer.

Why, for example, must I bring a broken iMac to an App Store when Apple advertises mail in and on-site repairs? Why did Apple change the policies and basically shut out all the third-party repair options? Why does Siri get worse and worse with each iOS upgrade? Why does Apple change things, just for the sake of changing them? Why does Apple prohibit downgrading when they purposely remove so much that many apps don’t run properly? Why do I need a machine that runs BigSur to run my Quickbooks Server properly?

So much of this is just was not a problem 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
The single point of the MP is low sales. It works here because a firm needs only a few MO for the top techs. But once a firm is editing on the MP then all their other computers are friendlier towards the Mac. Remove the MP from service, for the editor to go Windows, and you’ve just given the entire firm a reason to switch.
Back in the day, I would have agreed with you, but today I don't think platform matters nearly as much. Many firms are cross platform. Compatibility and interoperability between platforms is the best it's ever been. I don't think the Mac Pro's existence moves the needle one way or another in terms of what platform(s) a firm chooses.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I understand why Apple is trying to expand its services division and not rely on one flagship item for revenue, but I'm not sure they were prepared for how their media services would conflict with their international people pleasing so they can keep selling said flagship devices in countries with militant political ideologies.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I understand why Apple is trying to expand its services division and not rely on one flagship item for revenue, but I'm not sure they were prepared for how their media services would conflict with their international people pleasing so they can keep selling said flagship devices in countries with militant political ideologies.
It sounds like they were prepared, if the reason given in the article is anywhere near the truth.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Again, compared to what? Apple isn’t as hot as they used to be.

Listen, I’m not suggesting Tim is a dirtbag. He’s probably one of the best CEOs out there. My complaint is that, as a multi-decade Mac user, I’m getting more and more frustrated by the junk and total contempt for the customer.

Why, for example, must I bring a broken iMac to an App Store when Apple advertises mail in and on-site repairs? Why did Apple change the policies and basically shut out all the third-party repair options? Why does Siri get worse and worse with each iOS upgrade? Why does Apple change things, just for the sake of changing them? Why does Apple prohibit downgrading when they purposely remove so much that many apps don’t run properly? Why do I need a machine that runs BigSur to run my Quickbooks Server properly?

So much of this is just was not a problem 10 years ago.

I can't speak to the specific issues you may be experiencing with your Mac but if you are consistently having problems with apps on upgraded macOS then some of the blame should be on the app developers e.g., Intuit if you are having issues with QuickBooks Server. If things are that bad, the answer may be to not upgrade until you are confident the apps you use will work well. I'm not an expert in this area but are there not workarounds that allow you to go back to an earlier version (as early as what came with the hardware originally) of macOS?

PC sales in general are down right now which is a problem for all companies, including Apple.

As far as Siri is concerned, I don’t think it has gotten much if at all better but in what ways do you think it has actually gotten worse?

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Virtue signaling gets a lot harder when there's potential consequences.

“Here’s to the crazy ones.

The misfits.

The rebels.

The troublemakers.

The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently.

They’re not fond of rules.

And they have no respect for the status quo."

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Virtue signaling gets a lot harder when there's potential consequences.
That "pre-April 2022 Twitter is a private company, it can do what it wants!! energy" seems to have dissipated...

Private companies CAN be held liable for violating the First Amendment when they are acting on behalf of the government or doing something that the government would normally do.

Such a confusing post. A conservative poster makes a claim and then provides a link to a decision by the conservatives on SCOTUS that refutes his own point.

And that's ignoring that the SCOTUS decision was obviously incorrectly decided.

• Angry
Reactions: jaymc

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I can't speak to the specific issues you may be experiencing with your Mac but if you are consistently having problems with apps on upgraded macOS then some of the blame should be on the app developers e.g., Intuit if you are having issues with QuickBooks Server. If things are that bad, the answer may be to not upgrade until you are confident the apps you use will work well. I'm not an expert in this area but are there not workarounds that allow you to go back to an earlier version (as early as what came with the hardware originally) of macOS?

PC sales in general are down right now which is a problem for all companies, including Apple.

As far as Siri is concerned, I don’t think it has gotten much if at all better but in what ways do you think it has actually gotten worse?

1. Updating the OS shouldn’t kill current apps. Why is it so difficult to allow customers to choose the OS they want? Upgrade, problems, downgrade. What’s wrong with that?

2. I used to update to the latest OS 1-3 months in. Now, I wait at least a year so sort out the bugs.

3. Siri:
A. Voice recognition is worse…way worse.
B. Instructions don’t give what you want, weather information is basically useless.
C. When the phone is unlocked, it just shows you the answer as if I’m actively looking at the phone.
D. It takes me three times to get Siri to even respond.

Didn’t used to be this way. It’s WAY WAY worse in OS17.

• Disagree
Reactions: SFjohn

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
1. Updating the OS shouldn’t kill current apps. Why is it so difficult to allow customers to choose the OS they want? Upgrade, problems, downgrade. What’s wrong with that?

2. I used to update to the latest OS 1-3 months in. Now, I wait at least a year so sort out the bugs.

3. Siri:
A. Voice recognition is worse…way worse.
B. Instructions don’t give what you want, weather information is basically useless.
C. When the phone is unlocked, it just shows you the answer as if I’m actively looking at the phone.
D. It takes me three times to get Siri to even respond.

Didn’t used to be this way. It’s WAY WAY worse in OS17.

Customers can, to a degree, choose the OS they want by choosing not to upgrade. I also still feel that part of the responsibility of making sure an app works with new operating systems falls on the developer.

Below is an article (one of many) about downgrading to older macOS versions.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Customers can, to a degree, choose the OS they want by choosing not to upgrade. I also still feel that part of the responsibility of making sure an app works with new operating systems falls on the developer.

Below is an article (one of many) about downgrading to older macOS versions.

Many times people don’t know what doesn’t work until they try. Also, there are many OS features that I dislike about Ventura. I just want the ability to choose the OS that works for me.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Lol and would Apple pay the workers a fair wage, healthcare and etc...? Then would customers pay for the phones since the costs would be higher and would Apple and the shareholders be willing to take a hit on profits?
For those that have doubts about the above let's try this

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Is there any doubt why apple and thousands of other companies want to manufacture overseas? The US has made it difficult or even impossible to manufacture in the US. The US government was the one who “screwed the pooch”.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

If we assume Apple makes around 200 million iPhones per year and gross margins are around 40%, adding an additional $1,000 (or more) to the price of an iPhone in order for them to be made in the U.S. would mean the cost would go up around $600 (or more) per phone. A $600 (or more) cost increase per phone would be an ADDED cost of $120 billion (or more) EVERY YEAR. Seems way too high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.