Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
From the Specs page:

Video formats supported: H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps, Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile

OK so my question is: can we eventually upgrade (3rd party or otherwise) the Apple TV via software so we can use something other than H.264?

I'm thinking of .VOB mpeg2 (DVD), mpeg, wmv, etc.

There isn't a chance in hell I'm buying this thing if that's the only video it supports

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
OK so my question is: can we eventually upgrade (3rd party or otherwise) the Apple TV via software so we can use something other than H.264?

Probably not, seeing that the decoding is likely done using a specialized decoder, similar to the iPod's.

There isn't a chance in hell I'm buying this thing if that's the only video it supports

Your choice, that is why there is competing products on the market. Remember, Apple's catch-line for the Apple TV does happen to be: If it is on iTunes, it is on TV. They aren't exactly calling this the solution for all your media, but the solution for your iTunes media. For us Handbrake users, we like this solution. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.