Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamercraft567a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
1. Noise from other passengers and other noises from planes and that would hurt the immersion
2. Plane wi-fi is usually slow and the show your watching will buffer a ton
3. battery some planes don’t have outlets/plug’s
4. embarrassment people near you will probably make fun of you if they don’t know what you’re wearing is
5. will airlines support it in planes most likely not

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
The only potential issue is the battery life — the other points are not issues or unknown. The demo showed a passenger using AirPods, so noise wasn’t coming out of the speakers to disturb others around you, and ANC would be somewhat effective at blocking out plane noise. I’m guessing there will be storage on the device to download media so that you aren’t reliant on wi-fi.

As for embarrassment, have you been to an airport lately? What most people wear on a plane now is more embarrassing than this device would ever be.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Why would you need a Wi-Fi to use the device? I would expect the device to have local content for offline use. Most planes have charging ports. If I wanted to to use in the flight, I couldn’t care less about what others think.

Gamercraft567a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
The only potential issue is the battery life — the other points are not issues or unknown. The demo showed a passenger using AirPods, so noise wasn’t coming out of the speakers to disturb others around you, and ANC would be somewhat effective at blocking out plane noise. I’m guessing there will be storage on the device to download media so that you aren’t reliant on wi-fi.

As for embarrassment, have you been to an airport lately? What most people wear on a plane now is more embarrassing than this device would ever be.
good point but there may be other issues like it may feel uncomfortable and more but let’s wait and see until people get there hands on it and more people make reviews will I be buying this yes definitely but I think it could be a little cheaper honestly I’m probably going to wait until the vision 2 comes out then buy the second version or buy the original when/if the prices on it goes down

Gamercraft567a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
Why would you need a Wi-Fi to use the device? I would expect the device to have local content for offline use. Most planes have charging ports. If I wanted to to use in the flight, I couldn’t care less about what others think.
ok, I wonder if it will have e sim or if later models will but let’s be real people are going to use it at home for entertainment or in the office for work and productivity perhaps in a movie studio where you can edit and make 3d movies using the ”3d camera on it ”

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
1. Noise from other passengers and other noises from planes and that would hurt the immersion
4. embarrassment people near you will probably make fun of you if they don’t know what you’re wearing is
1) Noise-cancelling headphones. Apple happens to sell 2.
2) I imagine the Vision Pro will have local storage to load content onto, or you can always airplay from your smartphone.
3) Fair enough. I suppose that's where additional battery packs come in?
4) Times change, and attitudes on what is deemed acceptable evolve with the times. There may come a time when more people on flights have their own AR headset than not.
5) Maybe make it a first class / business class perk?

Gamercraft567a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
2) I imagine the Vision Pro will have local storage to load content onto, or you can always airplay from your smartphone.
4) Times change, and attitudes on what is deemed acceptable evolve with the times. There may come a time when more people on flights have their own AR headset than not.
You have some good points

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006

1. Noise canceling head/earphones.
2. Valid concern, is there no HD space on the device?
3. Most do now.
4. My man, I couldn't give a rats behind what other people think.
5. Support it? Do they have rules for hats and glasses also?

Reactions: holisticrunner

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I don't think any of those points are valid.

I doubt it. If so, then use airpods paired with it.

So then use it offline, or bring up your mac laptop display.

Rarely

Lol what do you care. Are you going home with them?

How/why would airlines care?

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Folks already answered the questions , but I want to make a note here for you to consider going forward (off topic so sorry in advance !) , people making fun of you for wearing a headset should not be a consideration you should ever have as an adult , it will make your life so much simpler going forward , I drive an old Toyota corolla , I dont care what people think about my car or me driving it , I also have enough money to stop working completely today and have a very comfortable life , do what you enjoy without any care of others opinion as the famous song lyrics go : "Enjoy your headset (Body in the original). Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it, or what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own"

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden

Is #2 actually confirmed to work? AirPlay from phone to Vision Pro? That would be amazing of course but I saw nothing about it. I only saw the mirroring of Mac screen, which AFAIK, uses BT and not AirPlay. But I might be wrong?

Gamercraft567a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
Folks already answered the questions , but I want to make a note here for you to consider going forward (off topic so sorry in advance !) , people making fun of you for wearing a headset should not be a consideration you should ever have as an adult , it will make your life so much simpler going forward , I drive an old Toyota corolla , I dont care what people think about my car or me driving it , I also have enough money to stop working completely today and have a very comfortable life , do what you enjoy without any care of others opinion as the famous song lyrics go : "Enjoy your headset (Body in the original). Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it, or what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own"
This is true

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020

Most planes have a charging port in the shape of a USB-A socket on the infotainment system.

That's fine for charging an iphone, but you couldn't charge a macbook with it; the output from the included port is just too low.

I'm doubtful the vision pro would charge off that same port. Something that drains its battery in a couple hours is probably going to have a more significant power draw than what a dinky little USB-A port is going to deliver.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Most planes have a charging port in the shape of a USB-A socket on the infotainment system.

That's fine for charging an iphone, but you couldn't charge a macbook with it; the output from the included port is just too low.

I'm doubtful the vision pro would charge off that same port. Something that drains its battery in a couple hours is probably going to have a more significant power draw than what a dinky little USB-A port is going to deliver.

This is not meant to be snarky, but I imagine most people dropping $3500 are flying airlines that have traditional outlets at their seats.

Reactions: Roadcrew and chabig

holisticrunner

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2019
1. You've never heard of Adaptive Audio?!?!
2. You know you can save everything onto your Vision Pro , not need to playback. Wifi problem applies to everyone watching movies on an airplane provided by airline ... so if you can use your laptop now, it's not a problem with VisionPro
3. You know you can use the USB-c adapter and hook up a big ass powerbank (100Wh)
4. You don't know anyone on the airplane. Who cares. I rarely ever talk to anytone on the plane. I mind my own business
5. Why do airlines need to support VisionPro? You don't need VisionOS apps to run VisionPro. It works with existing content.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022

Depends on the airline and more importantly distance/flight time. If it’s 2-3 hr flight, charging isn’t a big deal. For coast to coast flights most airlines(not the low cost) have power sockets.
I very rarely get in a 4-6 hr flight with out socket. But then I don’t usually fly spirit, frontier or southwest.
The Vision Pro doesn’t need to charge at 30 W, how much charge can it hold at 15 W, and delay the battery drain.

mittencuh

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs
Depends on the airline and more importantly distance/flight time. If it’s 2-3 hr flight, charging isn’t a big deal. For coast to coast flights most airlines(not the low cost) have power sockets.
I very rarely get in a 4-6 hr flight with out socket. But then I don’t usually fly spirit, frontier or southwest.
The Vision Pro doesn’t need to charge at 30 W, how much charge can it hold at 15 W, and delay the battery drain.
FYI, Southwest has power sockets in their newly delivered 737 MAX 8s and they will be retrofitted throughout the -800 fleet.

USB-C charging is starting to make its way into new IFE and seats as well, even on some Asian LCCs.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
FYI, Southwest has power sockets in their newly delivered 737 MAX 8s and they will be retrofitted throughout the -800 fleet.

USB-C charging is starting to make its way into new IFE and seats as well, even on some Asian LCCs.
About time. Great news, especially for longer flights.

Reactions: mittencuh

Gamercraft567a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
The Vision Pro doesn’t need to charge at 30 W, how much charge can it hold at 15 W, and delay the battery drain
if the plane does have one most of the time they are slow or does work at all

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon

I don’t think you’ve flown much.
My primary concern for using it on a plane will be whether the power draw will be supported / continuous. My 16 PB draws so much power I can barely use and charge it on most TATL and TPAC

Gamercraft567a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
I don’t think you’ve flown much.
My primary concern for using it on a plane will be whether the power draw will be supported / continuous. My 16 PB draws so much power I can barely use and charge it on most TATL and TPAC
I flow last in like 2021/2022 yea I think the battery will be pain

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
My 16 PB draws so much power I can barely use and charge it on most TATL and TPAC

That's an interesting point. Hopefully the headset doesn't draw the same kind of power as a 16" MBP under load! How big is the external battery pack? That might allow us to spitball its consumption given we know it lasts about 2 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.