Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
If you can afford a $3,500 product you won't be flying economy like that lady. I could see some of us on a long late flight maybe using it to drown out those around you. I see passengers with AirPods Pro Max and the Vision Pro is not too far off especially for a mostly stationary device. Also, I was able to charge my iPad and iPhone on a return trip, so using it for long flights won't be a problem. Apple might solve the content issue and wifi by letting you stream content from your iPhone or iPad (many Vision Pro users will have either one already) or the Vision Pro might come with 128 GBs of storage to store offline content.

A lot of this is still in the planning.

Reactions: Table Top Joe

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
1. Noise from other passengers and other noises from planes and that would hurt the immersion
2. Plane wi-fi is usually slow and the show your watching will buffer a ton
3. battery some planes don’t have outlets/plug’s
4. embarrassment people near you will probably make fun of you if they don’t know what you’re wearing is
5. will airlines support it in planes most likely not

1. Headphones
2. Save content on device
3. Wait for accessory makers to make larger batteries/backup batteries
4. zone them out with VR
5. why not?

blue2noise

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
1. Noise from other passengers and other noises from planes and that would hurt the immersion
4. embarrassment people near you will probably make fun of you if they don’t know what you’re wearing is
4 is the only option that issn’t easily solvable.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I’m still a bit confused on vision os and how exactly it works. It’s kind of a stand-alone operating system but it…works with everything else we use right? So couldn’t i just download a movie on my iphone and open a window of my iphone floating in the area and watch a movie like that?

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Planes are being upgraded all the time. Starlink is available for aircraft.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

This hasn’t aged that well…reports from actual users on planes have been positive because:
1. AirPods Pro
2. Download content before boarding works well.
3. Extra battery.
4. No one cares.
5. No airline has stopped anyone yet. No guarantee that won’t change.

Hindsight is great.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
4. Isn’t a problem, I don’t care what other people think, you can’t please every one. May be in Middle school but who cares in the flight.

Roadcrew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2019
If you have AVP, the only real reasons not to use it on a plane are (a) battery life (and a huge number of flights, even economy, have outlets now) or (b) you feel embarrassed about being a nerd. (And if you feel embarrassed about being a nerd, why did you even get the AVP?)

Well, I guess there's also (c) you don't want to pay for an extra piece of luggage to cover the official gigantic puffer jacket case, but that will be resolved once third parties have more reasonable case designs available.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I’m probably going to wait until the vision 2 comes out then buy the second version or buy the original when/if the prices on it goes down

These comments raise eyebrows for me. You are looking at a minimum of 2 years and potentially longer before the vision 3 comes out. Apple isn’t releasing this device just to kill it a year later. Look at the AirPods Max. 3 years in and we may finally see an update this year. Nothing wrong with waiting, but you are going to be waiting a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.