Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Watch 1 Owners: Will you upgrade to the Apple Watch Series 2?

• Yes, I own the Apple Watch 1, and will upgrade to the Apple Watch Series 2.

Votes: 73 40.8%
  • No, I own the Apple Watch 1, and won't be upgrading.

Votes: 106 59.2%

• Total voters

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Apple Watch 1 Owners: Will you upgrade to the Apple Watch Series 2? Vote in the poll and discuss.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Nope plan on keeping mine until at least next years upgrade. These upgrades weren't enough for me especially considering the horrible resale value of the series one watches plus I have the SBSS watch with the Space Black Link bracelet and I would want the same model again and I'm not about to drop $1000 or even $600 to even just get the new watch and keep my current link.

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
No. From what I've heard watchOS 3 should make it feel like a new watch anyway. :D

There wasn't anything in the announcement that made me think "I gotta have that!" So I will wait for the Watch 3. Besides I have already bought an iPad Pro, an iPhone SE for my wife, and plan to get an iPhone 7+ this year. That is enough money going apples way for a while I think.

Reactions: hufflepuffpastry

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I have a very specific reason that I'm upgrading. Currently when I go on my bike rides, I have my iPhone 6 in a lifeproof case mounted on the bike and use Strava to map the ride and I use the workout app to track the workout for activity purposes. I just pre-ordered the 7 plus (going plus solely because of the better camera). That thing is huge already and I have no plans to make it even bulkier by putting it in a lifeproof case. I need GPS to track my rides so I'm getting the Series 2 so that it can do that without the need for the phone.

zokstar

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2016
Sydney
At this stage, i don't think i will be upgrading. Would be nice to have GPS but for those runs/trips i'll have my phone in my hydration pack.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Undecided at the moment, to be honest: My AW does everything I want it to and Watch OS 3 has made a massive difference to the performance of it anyway.

I don't see the benefit of built-in GPS as I always take my phone with me when I run: I prefer to use Runtastic to the built in app as it gives me more information and I can export my runs to use elsewhere (such as Strava).

If (and it's a big if), the GPS is available to 3rd party apps and they can then work "untethered", I may consider getting one. Alternatively, if you could export exercises from Apple's app to .tcx or .gpx format I may consider using the built in workouts app, but unless or until one or both of those things happen, I'll stick with my AW1 :)

Reactions: hufflepuffpastry

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I'm going to wait for a sale at Best Buy or another retailer on series 2 before I upgrade.

Cowmonk

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2014
Edinburgh
Nah, I don't need GPS nor water proofing. The faster CPU would sure be nice, but not at the cost of an entire new watch. How I wish it had some new killer feature that made me need to buy it (same with the 7).

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Depends on how I like watchOS 3. Im not really in need of the gps or the extra water resistance but I would like a faster cpu.

If they had included more sensors and sleep tracking I would be sleeping outside an Apple store now..

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I already use my Watch in water all the time, I'm not a runner, and I already don't keep my watch at the highest brightness settings, so there really isn't anything compelling to me about the new model, outside of the faster processor (which OS3 will help with.)

I see the Watch as a quick-use device, and I'll always still have my iPhone with me, so I'm having a hard time imagining what it would take to upgrade, even in future years. I'll probably wear this 38mm SS until it dies.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
If I can sell my AW0 42mm SS Milanese. Got two nibbles at $300, but either too far away to meet up or the other potential buyer flaked out. Meanwhile, I'll upgrade to watchOS 3 and see how it performs. I'm weirdly emotionally attached to some extent to my AW0. I wasn't that way with all my previous iPhones. Anybody else feel somewhat attached to the AW? What do you think of $300 for my AW? At some price point I might as well either keep it or give it away. I don't know what the price point would be though. What would it be for you?

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I can honestly say that I will be getting a Series 2. Eventually. How far down the road that is will depend on how satisfied I am with the "feel" of my current watch running OS3. The GPS is great addition as is the genuine water resistance, but it's not like I'm suddenly going to go swimming (I don't) just because the watch can handle it. I've grown accustomed to running with my iPhone in a Flipbelt as it is.

Then again, knowing myself, there's a good chance the next time I walk into the Apple Store and find out they have them in stock, I'll give into temptation and plunk down my Amex.

XmasRights

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
London
Since the Series 1 has the old body, but an upgraded processor, I've taken to calling the original Apple Watch the "Series 0".

I'm Series 0, and don't intend to upgrade (not really a runner or a swimmer), but the brighter screen and faster processor might sway me once I get my hands on it.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I sold my Series 0 and plan to buy a Series 2. I "downgraded" from SS to aluminum while having the Series 0, and plan to stay with the aluminum this time around.

For me, keeping with the cheaper aluminum line makes the cost of upgrading not as significant. And I'm sure I'll upgrade again when the watch finally gets a cell chip.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Sold mine on Monday. Ordered my new Series 2, should hopefully be here Friday.

42mm Sport to 42mm Sport. Just changing the case, going from silver to space grey, which is what I originally wanted but since I bought used couldn't be too picky.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm putting no for now, but I may upgrade in the spring time next year when my Apple care expires. watchOS 3 has addressed all the issues I had with the watch.

Reactions: jbachandouris

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
Just got the original on clearance from Best Buy - so, no....
Yeah I got the original 42mm for $159 with AppleCare since it was on sale and I had a $120 certificate from Best Buy... feels very snappy with watch OS3 I'll be keeping this one til the watch gets a redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.