Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Watch 1 Owners: Will you upgrade to the Apple Watch Series 2?

• Yes, I own the Apple Watch 1, and will upgrade to the Apple Watch Series 2.

Votes: 73 40.8%
  • No, I own the Apple Watch 1, and won't be upgrading.

Votes: 106 59.2%

• Total voters

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I got a sport on release week and my complaint was it was slow. Hoping watch OS 3 fixes these issues. The new version doesn't have enough for me to upgrade (assuming my old watch is faster with the update)

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I plan to own both since you can pair 2 now with your iphone. That way I won't be without if something happens. I'm pretty addicted to mine.

Reactions: hufflepuffpastry

fireguy286

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
NY'er in Philly
As a Space Black Link owner, given the upgrade options at 600 minimum, no way. Nothing compelling, rather happy. The fact that it's even thicker, really means no. I'll glance at next years maybe.

hokiemas

macrumors member
May 26, 2015
Nope. I wear my watch every day, and it's awesome. I can't justify dropping another 600 bucks on a watch at this point though. Maybe next year. Keep in mind though, I'd never spent more than 150.00 on a watch before the Apple Watch, so 600 for the SS Watch was a big jump for me.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I started with the Apple Watch Sport in Space Gray with black band, traded it a week later for Apple Watch with Milanese band.. returned it for credit 2 weeks later.. two weeks after that, I found out I missed it and bought the then new Apple Watch Sport in gold tone with Midnight Blue elastomer band.

I upgraded to Apple Watch OS 3 yesterday, but I'm strongly considering the Apple Watch Edition in white ceramic.

(Can someone explain the difference between Apple Watch version 0 and Apple Watch version 1? )

SaddleSC

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
No upgrade for me either. I sold my Sport a couple months ago, but I was able to buy the first gen yesterday at Best Buy for under $200 (with a Reward Certificate) in 42mm Space Grey. When I got home, I installed Watch OS 3 and I am absolutely thrilled with it. The new OS is very snappy, has great features, and basically cures all things I didn't like about the Apple Watch experience the first time around...the value for the money is off the charts with this combo!

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
(Can someone explain the difference between Apple Watch version 0 and Apple Watch version 1? )
Unofficial convention for referring to the last gen (Series 0) when comparing it to the new, lower-end gen (Series 1), which is faster than Series 0 but lacks GPS, the brighter screen and water proofing.

Reactions: Four oF NINE

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
No reason to upgrade this year. I don't need to swim/shower/etc. with my watch on, so its not a huge selling point for me. I am very happy with the update so far and has really sped the watch up. I'll see what series 3 is all about.

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
The first gen does everything I need, it looks amazing and to be honest the fitness stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest. I use mine mainly for telling the time (surprise!) and notifications and because I like wearing a watch. I don't think the new version will add any enhancements to these features :)

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
No, because...

- I may not be able to wear a smartwatch (of any kind) to my new job because of security restrictions;
- I think my Series 0 has done very well over the past year;
- I suck at swimming and don't need GPS;
- If we get a new AW in the household, it'll be for my wife, and I'll still have my Series 0.

So, no, I won't be upgrading mine, but we may instead be adding another Apple Watch.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Nope. I'll likely go every-two-models, same as with the iPhone and iPad. I've had mine since launch and am still just as happy with it as I was back then.

Reactions: drill423

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I'm updating. Going from a sport to a SS too!
Mostly for the swim proofing as it's going into summer over here, and I go to beach beach most days. It will be nice not having to worry about my watch.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I'll probably upgrade every other generation. The only things that would really sway me is new sensors and I really don't feel like much is missing from my experience with the watch. I usually have my phone so GPS isn't too big of a deal and I'm not a big swimmer. The new CPU is nice but it sounds like OS3 should take care of a lot of my issues with app loading speed. What I think I'll do is I have a SBSS v1 so I may get SS v3 or something like that and alternate based on what I'm wearing.

I think the AW will age pretty well honestly I really don't use it for processor intensive processes. I'm checking the time, getting notifications, voice controlling things through the phone, and checking status of things like weather, flights and meetings. None of that is really process intensive and I just don't have a problem doing them with the current hardware. If they improve how the watch stores and refreshes apps that really clears up my main problem so I think they can fix that with software. I do think these were smart improvements by Apple though they directly addressed a lot of people's complaints with GPS and waterproofing so I think it will be great for a lot of people. They just weren't really my complaints I guess.

The main thing I would like to see is smart bands I think that would really push the watch in a new direction. Like a battery band, gps band, health sensor band, celluar band, OLED band would be pretty interesting. This would be a game changer IMO. Then you customize the capabilities of the watch itself to your needs.

Last edited:

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
The main thing I would like to see is smart bands I think that would really push the watch in a new direction. Like a battery band, gps band, health sensor band, celluar band, OLED band would be pretty interesting. This would be a game changer IMO. Then you customize the capabilities of the watch itself to your needs.

i really like this idea

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
No way. Not really an update for. Don't really care about the GPS, with Watch OS 3 it seems like a new watch anyway. Need more updates than just minor ones.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Yup, not immediately as I'm buying AirPods first, but I will 100% be upgrading sometime in the fall. I will then be keeping that watch for a minimum of two years.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Was swimming today with my Watch. Looks like the speaker isn't working anymore. Guess I'll be upgrading in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.