Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giovanni1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
Hello all,

I have a shortcut called "Sony TV volume up" that allows me to increase the volume of my TV. I use Siri on my HomePod or iPhone to invoke the shortcut without issue. However when I run it on my watch, I am asked to “Allow” the shortcut to share data with (null).

does anybody know if his is a bug or know of a fix?

Thanks!

Attachments

• B107F1AF-F998-4813-9ADB-0B90773BD9C5.png
    B107F1AF-F998-4813-9ADB-0B90773BD9C5.png
    25 KB · Views: 786

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Hello all,

I have a shortcut called "Sony TV volume up" that allows me to increase the volume of my TV. I use Siri on my HomePod or iPhone to invoke the shortcut without issue. However when I run it on my watch, I am asked to “Allow” the shortcut to share data with (null).

Thanks!
I've seen other reports of the Apple Watch not doing what it did before in terms of Siri following orders. Probably another bug. Seems like across all devices, both automations and shortcuts are having issues since iOS 15. I did find with one of my shortcuts that once I deleted it and started over there was a new permission I was asked for when I created it. I'm thinking there is a new privacy setting somewhere that isn't obvious or easy to find that is messing things up.

Reactions: Giovanni1

Hhansen

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2021
I’m having the same exact problem (when using my geeni app to turn the lights off or on) after I upgraded to IOS 15 and upgraded my watch to version 8. I want to use a voice command so I don’t have to click a button every time. Asking to allow or not allow every time kinda defeats the purpose. Apple needs to fix this or maybe stop trying to find loop holes to monitor our data. If anyone has figured out how to fix this I would greatly appreciate a reply.

Thanks

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
having similar issues with a siri shortcut to make a call and the watch asking me to 'allow or not allow'.

Have raised this with Apple Support now too and even the agent was able to replicate the problem. She's found similar reports internally so does look like a bug.. no idea on resolution but due a call back on Tuesday from them.

Giovanni1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
having similar issues with a siri shortcut to make a call and the watch asking me to 'allow or not allow'.

Have raised this with Apple Support now too and even the agent was able to replicate the problem. She's found similar reports internally so does look like a bug.. no idea on resolution but due a call back on Tuesday from them.
Thank you for the update.

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
little update.. of no real updates! Apple are aware of the issue, their engineering team have been able to replicate it too.

I've had to run and provide diagnostics logs from watch and phone to apple a few times now.. given they're still asking for that I can't see it being fixed in 15.1/8.1

Giovanni1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
little update.. of no real updates! Apple are aware of the issue, their engineering team have been able to replicate it too.

I've had to run and provide diagnostics logs from watch and phone to apple a few times now.. given they're still asking for that I can't see it being fixed in 15.1/8.1
Thank you for the update.

theapu

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2021
Hello all,

Thanks!
In settings > Privacy > HomeKit I disabled the toggles for the apps eWeLink, Mi Home, Smart Life and Tuya Smart (The shortcuts of the apps which showed this popup in my apple watch)

After that this popup appeared only once and after clicked allow, This annoying pop up stopped appearing for my shortcuts in apple watch.

Update:

You can enable the toggles in settings > Privacy > HomeKit after allowing the first prompt for shortcuts in Apple watch. After enabling HomeKit toggles again Apple watch shows this "Allow to share data with (null)" only once for shortcuts.

Last edited:

Giovanni1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
In settings > Privacy > HomeKit I disabled the toggles for the apps eWeLink, Mi Home, Smart Life and Tuya Smart (The shortcuts of the apps which showed this popup in my apple watch)

After that this popup appeared only once and after clicked allow, This annoying pop up stopped appearing for my shortcuts in apple watch.

Update:

You can enable the toggles in settings > Privacy > HomeKit after allowing the first prompt for shortcuts in Apple watch. After enabling HomeKit toggles again Apple watch shows this "Allow to share data with (null)" only once for shortcuts.

Update:

I’m glad it worked for you. Unfortunately the shortcut I’m trying to run is not HomeKit compatible so I didn’t have the option to toggle the app.
Thanks anyway.

paultj

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
found out how to fix, , u need to open the app that is linked to shortcut, eg. ewelink or smartlife, once logined, the next time u trigger the shortcut on your watch it wont show that prompt anymore

Giovanni1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
found out how to fix, , u need to open the app that is linked to shortcut, eg. ewelink or smartlife, once logined, the next time u trigger the shortcut on your watch it wont show that prompt anymore
Unfortunately didn’t fix my issue. Thanks for trying though.

thanhtam23

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2017
Singapore
i dont get this but it keep asking "Allow to run action from Tuya Smart" which should be omitted with privacy setting (means only need to ask once if not yet allow there)
does anyone have this too?

Stirfry2112

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I solved this issue by turning off my VPN on my phone. Try turning off your VPN and see if that solves your issue.

Funny though, this to me is also a bug. I came here looking to see if someone solved the VPN issue as I would like to use my VPN and not be annoyed with watch shortcut requests. ;)

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Unbelievably irritating. Just more Apple garbage. Getting more disillusioned with this company by the day.

Reactions: Itinj24

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Anypne able to say if this has been fixed in watchOS 8.5?

No, it has not. I mean why would they fix such a game breaking bug that turns shortcuts into longcuts? I know software can be incredibly complex but it feels like this sort of thing should never even make it to production, let alone still need fixing in later updates. It’s not an edge case that no one could be expected to stumble upon. How something like this can get through QA and then not be fixed subsequently is about as irritating as Apple’s refusal to address the broken Safari sidebar and numerous other lingering issues that are starting to feel permanent.

JARS0

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2022
Hi, In my case, I got it work by removing Smartlife from the apps added to the watch. Open Watch app on the phone/Scroll to Smartlife/Show App on Apple Watch switched to Off... Done, I hope that helps

Stirfry2112

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Okay, so my idea of turning off VPN did not continue to work. However, JARS0 has it correct. Remove the app from the installed app list for your watch. For me, this was the Feit Electric app (which I never used directly on my watch anyways, only ran Siri commands). HOWEVER, one word of caution. I uninstalled the app, ran the Siri command from my watch and it asked "allow or don't allow" again. ? But this was just to finally save the preference for the command. I hit Allow and ran the command again, this time no allow prompt! Hajeluia, I have hands free shortcuts on my watch again!

Thanks so much JARS0!!!!

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
All very well unless you also use the app’s watch companion for manual interactions and so can’t delete it from the watch. Glad you guys have found a workaround, though. Looks like Apple never will ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.