Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone2019

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
Why is Apple using fake Sapphire when their Ceramic Shield is harder to scratch? Are they trying to fool people or will they release a more expensive Apple Watch Ultra With their more scratch proof Ceramic Shield?

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I’ve seen the YouTube videos where people use the various picks and declare Apple isn’t using sapphire for the watch crystals and iPhone lens covers. However, after years of using pro iPhones and SS Apple Watches, I’ve had absolutely no micro scratches, just like I would expect from sapphire. It’s the same performance as on my other watches with sapphire crystals. I’ve had micro scratches on my Ceramic Shield iPhone 12 Pro, and I’ve seen it on at least 2 13 pros on coworkers phones.

Is it statistically significant proof? Nope. It works for me, though. I’ve had better real-world experience with Apple’s sapphire than their glass.

iPhone2019

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
It must be difficult to cram so much info into so few words.
Ok, I want a material that is evidently harder to scratch. I feel Apple is fooling everyone with their fake Sapphire. Just watch jerryrigeverything’s Youtube channel. Why defend an inferior material marketed to fool people into believing it’s real Sapphire? I would like real Sapphire though, but Apple, please be Honest!

perezr10

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I’ve seen the YouTube videos where people use the various picks and declare Apple isn’t using sapphire for the watch crystals and iPhone lens covers. However, after years of using pro iPhones and SS Apple Watches, I’ve had absolutely no micro scratches, just like I would expect from sapphire. It’s the same performance as on my other watches with sapphire crystals. I’ve had micro scratches on my Ceramic Shield iPhone 12 Pro, and I’ve seen it on at least 2 13 pros on coworkers phones.

Is it statistically significant proof? Nope. It works for me, though. I’ve had better real-world experience with Apple’s sapphire than their glass.

That’s exactly how I feel. As long as it doesn’t scratch, I don’t care what it’s called. And thus far, the sapphire has been rock solid for me. No scratches ever.

minivini

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
Ok, I want a material that is evidently harder to scratch. I feel Apple is fooling everyone with their fake Sapphire. Just watch jerryrigeverything’s Youtube channel. Why defend an inferior material marketed to fool people into believing it’s real Sapphire? I would like real Sapphire though, but Apple, please be Honest!
Seems like some degree of trolling here. It isn’t “fake sapphire”, it’s lab created sapphire. It’s identical to natural sapphire with zero impurities, so actually stronger. How exactly is Apple “fooling” anyone? They’ve never claimed that they are mining sapphire to use on their products. Do us all a favor and find something worthwhile to channel all this rage into.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Fake or not if it's the same as the SS I won't have an issue, I beat the ever-loving crap out of my watch and never had it scratch or break, and I've seen tons of people broken aluminum versions.
I have both and the aluminum is more prone to scratching than SS, but it’s still very durable. Scratches don’t make the watch useless, just ugly if looked at in the right light. I would still be wearing it if Apple didn’t replace it for the battery.
-

218EC3A7-92CF-4997-BDA1-B85F75677819.jpeg

Ryxmd

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
All my Apple Watches have sapphire and none of them has ever had any scratches on the screen. Series 1 SS, Series 4 SS space black and Series 6 Titanium space black. Series 1 had scratches all over the body, Series 4 had some scratches on the body, but my current Series 6 is still pristine. I wore/wear them everyday without any type of case or screen protector. It’s a watch. You wouldn’t put your high end Swiss or Japanese Quartz in a case.

Before the Apple Watch came out, I would wear my Swiss watches that also have sapphire. No scratches also. Did have a small scratch on one of them but only on the anti-glare coating.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Apple is using the same sapphire CRYSTAL as everyone else in the watch industry. There's no fooling going on. They choose a hardness level for the final product that they feel is the best balance between cracking and scratching.

Watching a guy on youtube scratch stuff with a Moh's hardness test kit and coming to the conclusion that someone is trying to fool everyone is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody is putting actual sapphire in a watch screen.

Jkeith85

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2015
I caved in and got a screen protector for my ultra. I may not even put it on and just get apple care for it.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Apple is using the same sapphire CRYSTAL as everyone else in the watch industry. There's no fooling going on. They choose a hardness level for the final product that they feel is the best balance between cracking and scratching.

Watching a guy on youtube scratch stuff with a Moh's hardness test kit and coming to the conclusion that someone is trying to fool everyone is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody is putting actual sapphire in a watch screen.
I’d like to see a desk jockey YouTuber use these tools on an Apple Watch and then immediately after a £10k Rolex to compare results.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I’d like to see a desk jockey YouTuber use these tools on an Apple Watch and then immediately after a £10k Rolex to compare results.

Even then, the Rolex might have a different hardness level that Rolex felt was better for what their watches go through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.