Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
S2 and S4 were Stainless Steel - never had a scratch on the crystal. I also didn't baby them. After my S2 and seeing how it held up, I won't get anything else. If you don't have one, you really have no ground to stand on with your comment.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
This has already been debunked. It turns out the sapphire was not fake. It was just thin.

cannono

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2014
This seems like trolling. Apple has never implied it is mined sapphire, and it is real sapphire so…

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
I think we need to see some YouTubers test it all the same. Make sure Rolex isn’t fooling anymore.
I have a 1973 Stainless Oyster Perpetual Date that I wore for years and replaced the crystal probably 3 times. They're *way* easier to scratch than the Stainless Apple Watch.

Reactions: dimittar and RPhoto

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Apple is using the same sapphire CRYSTAL as everyone else in the watch industry. There's no fooling going on. They choose a hardness level for the final product that they feel is the best balance between cracking and scratching.

Watching a guy on youtube scratch stuff with a Moh's hardness test kit and coming to the conclusion that someone is trying to fool everyone is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody is putting actual sapphire in a watch screen.
Not true, Apple's Sapphire is not the same.

rhemy123

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2021
Seems like some degree of trolling here. It isn’t “fake sapphire”, it’s lab created sapphire. It’s identical to natural sapphire with zero impurities, so actually stronger. How exactly is Apple “fooling” anyone? They’ve never claimed that they are mining sapphire to use on their products. Do us all a favor and find something worthwhile to channel all this rage into.
Does sapphire form naturally in the wild. I thought all current sapphire was made in a lab. I thought all glass in use was made in a lab.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
Whatever it is it’s durable as hell. I had a 6 stainless and a 7 Titanium and never used protection. I never scratched the face ever on either watch and I wear my to do everything. I did get some scratches on the cases, one pretty good one on the 6 but it didn’t continue to the glass.

minivini

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
Does sapphire form naturally in the wild. I thought all current sapphire was made in a lab. I thought all glass in use was made in a lab.
Yes. Madagascar is currently the world leader in sapphire mining. It forms in igneous and metamorphic rock. The sapphire used in manufacture is lab made. Natural sapphire is a precious gemstone only slightly less valuable than diamond.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Apple is using the same sapphire CRYSTAL as everyone else in the watch industry. There's no fooling going on. They choose a hardness level for the final product that they feel is the best balance between cracking and scratching.

Watching a guy on youtube scratch stuff with a Moh's hardness test kit and coming to the conclusion that someone is trying to fool everyone is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody is putting actual sapphire in a watch screen.
I’d like to see a desk jockey YouTuber use these tools on an Apple Watch and then immediately after a £10k Rolex to compare results.

Definitely sapphire but not as scratch resistant as the sapphire most quality watch manufacturers are using..

Last edited:

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
Due to the hardness, the sapphire screen is more prone to shattering than scratching, both are possible but rare. I have had the sapphire screen on my last three SBTi Apple Watches and none suffered even a scuff and looked new after a year of hard use. The DLC coating on the SBTi editions also looked new after a years use. If you are a stickler for cosmetics, these were the best!

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
Someone here said they dropped their Ultra on tile and cracked the ceramic backing.

Someone else on YouTube subjected the Ultra's Sapphire front to extreme abuse and could barely scratch it.

So, there's that.

Reactions: oxvectors

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
The Sapphire screen is ultra durable.
Exactly this.

I don’t give a good gosh-darn about any of the marketing noise or the fears of those concerned that maybe the thing isn’t quite as perfect as they imagine it somehow should be.

What matters is that, if my Ultra is ever seriously damaged, either such that it’s cosmetically ruined or actually stops working, my arm is going to be in so much pain (if not actually detached from my body) that the watch condition is going to be the least of my concerns.

I mean, seriously. Are people actually worried that, if they get dragged behind a car while wearing their Ultra, such that sparks are flying from the watch, there might be a few nicks in the titanium?

Or, if some maniac is taking a sledgehammer to my wrist, am I going to be upset that, after the fourth or fifth hit, after my bones have already completely disintegrated into hamburger, the display finally cracks?

If “fake” sapphire is this durable, who cares if “real” sapphire would be better?

Sheesh.

b&

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
This is ridiculous! I have had the SS models since the first Apple Watch, and not once have I ever scratched the screen. Nor has it broken. Find something better to do then make up this stuff.

As for Ceramic Shield, absolutely no one but you wants that in their Watch. The iPhones scratch so easy with that, no one, I mean no one wants that for their Ultra. I questioned the durability of the Titanium as compared to an SS, but it’s not bad. Just May show some more wear, but I also know they couldn’t use Stainless Steel in a watch this big. Think about what you are asking for. That would be stupid to put Ceramic Shield in these watches.

C225

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2007
Scotland
From my own personal experience I had the S0 and S4 in stainless steel and sapphire crystal and they lasted years without a mark on the screen, my mum has the S4 now and to this day is still immaculate. I've had the S3 and S6 in aluminium with the ion-X glass and both within a year had scratches on the screen, nothing major but still noticeable. Now on the Ultra and hoping it holds up like the SS versions.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I have a 1973 Stainless Oyster Perpetual Date that I wore for years and replaced the crystal probably 3 times. They're *way* easier to scratch than the Stainless Apple Watch.

Did your rolex come with a sapphire crystal, or when you changed it, did you replace it with a crystal?

PeeWee1963

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2020
The Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch uses hesalite, i.e. acrylic glass. Sensitive to scratching, but breaking, not splintering in space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.