Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
Have had nothing but stellar results with all my series watches barring the odd bug or very choppy conditions which gps receivers don’t like. I did have an Ultra for a week but only run tested, no swimming as I intended to send back and didn’t want to lose it in my local murky deep lake!

Can Inelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Have had nothing but stellar results with all my series watches barring the odd bug or very choppy conditions which gps receivers don’t like. I did have an Ultra for a week but only run tested, no swimming as I intended to send back and didn’t want to lose it in my local murky deep lake!
Ultra GPS accuracy works great in everything except water, I have been using the Ultra daily since it came out, has been a year, so that means I had at least 365 open water swim sessions each of them at least 1-2 kilometres. Unfortunately, 3-4 swims out of every 10 are ruined by wrong GPS tracks, distance is exaggerated by almost twice what it should be. However, running, cycling, and hiking are all great! Haven't had any problems with those and I love the LTE functionality so I can leave my phone at home and go out just with my Ultra.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
Ultra GPS accuracy works great in everything except water, I have been using the Ultra daily since it came out, has been a year, so that means I had at least 365 open water swim sessions each of them at least 1-2 kilometres. Unfortunately, 3-4 swims out of every 10 are ruined by wrong GPS tracks, distance is exaggerated by almost twice what it should be. However, running, cycling, and hiking are all great! Haven't had any problems with those and I love the LTE functionality so I can leave my phone at home and go out just with my Ultra.
Interesting. I wonder in the case is the issue here. The curved screen of the series might allow enough of the gps signal in as the wrist is momentarily out of the water. The high edge of the ultra bezel could be the issue.

mtakanen

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2023
3k swim today. I had Platysens Marlin as a backup (gps unit back of my head). Ultra tracked fine the first 800m. After that just garbage. Similar errors before watchOS 10 upgrade but I think it was better a couple of months ago.

IMG_9723.png
IMG_9722.png

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I also use the open water swim workout. The distance is always wrong and no track is shown. But if I go to the Strava App, the distance is correct. In contrast to the activity app by apple, Strava connects the waypoints where the watch did get a GPS fix. As I am a non competitive swimmer, I just raise my hand out of the water from time to time to get a fix.

Apple activity app shows 100 m distance:
IMG_1650.png
Strava App shows approximated correct distance between GPS fixes:
IMG_1178.jpeg

Can Inelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
@DRDR @mtakanen Do you guys use the "Precision Start" function of the Ultra? I use that and wait till I get perfect GPS lock, then I press the action button and start but seems like Precision Start has no positive effect either. Well both are unacceptable for an "Ultra" watch.. As if this wasn't enough, my Ultra's battery life has also been ruined after Watch OS10 update.

I used to have a Series 7 LTE which performed much better in terms of GPS accuracy during open water swim. I wonder if Apple messed up with algorithms/software for the dual band Ultra. I wrote numerous times to Apple, I had tens of Apple Support phone calls, escalated the situation and nothing has been done and no feedback has been given by Apple. All they say is it's functioning as expected. I would have expected better from Apple...

Anyways, I ordered a Garmin Epix Pro Sapphire 47mm yesterday. I'll be testing that out in pool this week and this weekend in Dover, UK during open-water swim training. I'll wear Ultra on one wrist and the Garmin on the other and will swim a total of 10 hours in 3 days, so should have plenty of data in a few days. I'll share the updates with you guys.

Reactions: MaxLt

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I use precision start and can confirm that many many years ago open water track were much better. It was probably a Series 4 at that time.

LiSpresso

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2023
My watch has the same problem, we can do something about that?

I think it's problems with the antenna,
Sometimes when I push the watch outside from the water it back to work for a little time and starts over till I push it out from the water…

I have a guaranty……

Can Inelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
My watch has the same problem, we can do something about that?

I think it's problems with the antenna,
Sometimes when I push the watch outside from the water it back to work for a little time and starts over till I push it out from the water…

I have a guaranty……
I tried everything I can. I even bought a new AWU. Same problem. I sent the devices to Apple service. Nothing changed. Two weeks ago I bought myself a Garmin Epix Pro 47mm, and it’s been amazing. I haven’t worn Apple Watch since then and I’m selling my AWU. AWU is not an Ultra device. It feels like a toy next to Garmin Epix Pro. If you are serious into swimming, hiking, running etc I suggest you switch to Garmin Epix Pro.

Reactions: meetree

LiSpresso

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2023
I tried everything I can. I even bought a new AWU. Same problem. I sent the devices to Apple service. Nothing changed. Two weeks ago I bought myself a Garmin Epix Pro 47mm, and it’s been amazing. I haven’t worn Apple Watch since then and I’m selling my AWU. AWU is not an Ultra device. It feels like a toy next to Garmin Epix Pro. If you are serious into swimming, hiking, running etc I suggest you switch to Garmin Epix Pro.
Thank you

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
The funny thing is, in the Withings Healthmate app the swim workout has a preview image of the map with track data but this data is not visible in the detailed view. So maybe there is a fundamental map problem.

Reactions: LiSpresso
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.