Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
The typical stereotype of Apple products and services are usually "Apple doesn't invent anything. They are always late to the show, but they improve everything about it". ARM computing is nothing new. Microsoft has versions of it in there Surface line up for years. But if you look at all of the products Apple has dug from the ground (Tablets, smart watches, MP3 players, smart phones.. etc..) most if not all have been wildly successful during there lifetime.

Microsoft and Google are watching how this all unfolds.

If ARM takes off, don't be surprised if we see an uprising against x86 processors and the whole world moves towards ARM processing.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Microsoft and Google are watching how this all unfolds.

Google doesn't have a stake in x86, the only HW they are involved with is ARM

Microsoft(Windows) is even more entrenched with x86 and legacy support making it hard to transition to ARM (as proven by those WindowsRT running Surfaces).
They also don't and don't plan to develop their own CPUs, so unless Intel AND AMD become a total failure and beaten handsdown by non-Apple ARM chips I just don't see a point in starting that move.

Servers might migrate to ARM, but that really depends on wether someone produces ARM chips that can replace Intel/AMD or even IBM's POWER in those fields.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
If ARM takes off, don't be surprised if we see an uprising against x86 processors and the whole world moves towards ARM processing.
From who? Apple Macs are weak with typical games you play on laptops or desktops. Anyime you want to play something that everyone else says is really good, the Mac is MIA. There are some games out there that were ported to run on Mac's but all the latest ones are running on MS Xbox One S or Sony PS5 consoles, and PC desktops.
Apple Arcade like that tomb raider running in Rosetta at 1080P with the ARM 12x Mac mini. I just about died when he said this environment look amazing.

I rather see Apple Demo'ing this with good FPS and resolution

Last edited:
Reactions: jerwin

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
From who? Apple Macs are weak with typical games you play on laptops or desktops. Anyime you want to play something that everyone else says is really good, the Mac is MIA. There are some games out there that were ported to run on Mac's but all the latest ones are running on MS Xbox One S or Sony PS5 consoles, and PC desktops.
Apple Arcade like that tomb raider running in Rosetta at 1080P with the ARM 12x Mac mini. I just about died when he said this environment look amazing.

I rather see Apple Demo'ing this with good FPS and resolution

Well, the console is primarily built for gaming, the Mac isn't.

Joelist

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Illinois
This is a big gamble for Apple no doubt. They are putting their entire move into the Enterprise at risk because those large businesses tend to have their own software (x86 almost invariably). So far Apple being on x86 has made that issue moot and they have been gaining Enterprise traction but if they don't really deliver better performance and (more importantly) a painless path for those corporate apps the Mac move in the Enterprise will die. You even saw this in the announcement where they spent a small period of time on iWork but a lot of time showing off Microsoft Office on Apple Silicon - that is aimed at the Enterprise.

On the good side for Apple (and the in depth WWDC sessions on Apple silicon made pretty clear), Apple's SOCs are a far different beast than your typical ARM SOC. Remember Apple aggressively poached from Intel the designers and developers who created the Core architecture (Banias and its progeny which transformed computing on a laptop for example). While we don't have precise documentation because of NDAs, given who they poached and some of the ways their SOCs seem to operate I would not be surprised to discover that they took the basic ARM design they have licensed and added Intel Core iSeries sauce as well as their own stuff. Their A Series SOCs have been the performance kings for a while now and note they said the Macs were going to have their own design, not just using the Ax SOCs the iPads do.

MichaelDT

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Apple is just the first to pull the trigger, more important are the cloud IaaS providers... If AWS/Azure/GCP/AliCloud move the ground will open up under Intel.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
They are putting their entire move into the Enterprise at risk because those large businesses tend to have their own software (x86 almost invariably).

My enterprise customers have been resisting putting software on their employees computers for a long time now. They don't even like having to install Office. They want everything delivered through the browser.

Also Apple don't really care about the enterprise, sure you get the odd nod towards big businesses, but they have always cared more about the individual than the organisation. This is what set them apart from Microsoft.

Reactions: Detnator and Roode

cknlol

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
Singapore
It's not Apple to pull it of rather than the majority of the developers. I have zero doubt about Apples hardware engineering team and their ARM CPU performance.

Joelist

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Illinois
My enterprise customers have been resisting putting software on their employees computers for a long time now. They don't even like having to install Office. They want everything delivered through the browser.

Also Apple don't really care about the enterprise, sure you get the odd nod towards big businesses, but they have always cared more about the individual than the organisation. This is what set them apart from Microsoft.

Sorry but they very much do care about big businesses. A lot of the architecture changes in iOS and MacOS were to let them interoperate properly with things like ActiveDirectory, MDM and other such pieces of Enterprise Architecture. We have a lot of laptops out to our associates (over 100,000) and right now we allow them to choose between Apple and PC as our internal tools (which are local and not browser based) can be deployed to either one. If Apple does not give us a painless path then we will have to drop that option and put everyone on Windows. And we are FAR from alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.