Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
To everyone who says these imperfections brings out their OCD, can I ask you to be careful of the words you use in relation to OCD. OCD is not a replacement word for perfectionism or just a human “quirk” about being neurotic, it’s a massively debilitating anxiety disorder which can result in severe anxiety, depression, hospitalisation and even suicide.

If you’re slightly irked or annoyed by an imperfection in a product (or even massively irked or annoyed) but that doesn’t result in large periods of anxiety, depression and / or magical thinking about the imperfection then YOU ARE NOT OCD about it. You maybe have perfectionist tendencies in how you see the world and a keen eye for detail but THATS NOT OCD and I implore you all to stop calling it that unless you’ve been diagnosed with it. Associating the “annoyance” of poor manufacturing with a debilitating anxiety disorder does OCD a disservice And makes us think that those who suffer just have a mild form of perfectionism and / or are just a bit neurotic whereas their everyday existence can be an anxious depressive hell.

You wouldn’t associate cancer as a petty annoyance like the common cold. Please don’t associate the mild annoyance of things that are not quite perfect with OCD.

for those who are curious: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/beyond-the-doubt/201002/pssst-ocd-is-not-adjective

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Looking at the image in post 1, all I could think of was...
princess & pea.jpg

Luposian

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2005
To everyone who says these imperfections brings out their OCD, can I ask you to be careful of the words you use in relation to OCD. OCD is not a replacement word for perfectionism or just a human “quirk” about being neurotic, it’s a massively debilitating anxiety disorder which can result in severe anxiety, depression, hospitalisation and even suicide.

If you’re slightly irked or annoyed by an imperfection in a product (or even massively irked or annoyed) but that doesn’t result in large periods of anxiety, depression and / or magical thinking about the imperfection then YOU ARE NOT OCD about it. You maybe have perfectionist tendencies in how you see the world and a keen eye for detail but THATS NOT OCD and I implore you all to stop calling it that unless you’ve been diagnosed with it. Associating the “annoyance” of poor manufacturing with a debilitating anxiety disorder does OCD a disservice And makes us think that those who suffer just have a mild form of perfectionism and / or are just a bit neurotic whereas their everyday existence can be an anxious depressive hell.

You wouldn’t associate cancer as a petty annoyance like the common cold. Please don’t associate the mild annoyance of things that are not quite perfect with OCD.

for those who are curious: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/beyond-the-doubt/201002/pssst-ocd-is-not-adjective
Anytime I have one of those urges to nit-pick at something, I just say I'm "being anal". But is that a correct term either? :D

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019

May I ask you to be respectful of feeling of those people who say that they have OCD, perhaps they really do and youre no doctor to diagnose it for them, its their rights to call it out loud if they feel they have unhealthy obession/disorder that might cause them great deal of stress and anxiety. Many people whot think that they have OCD of a kind in reality turn out to be suffering from other, no less debilitating, mental issues and stresses in their lives.
I myself used to struggle with some forms of OCD and, for the most part, Ive gotten over them, however, I dont feel bad for people if they say they are OCD even if its just their way of telling that they are perfectionist whiners, so what?
There are so many ways of people expressing themselves and their feelings, should we start to pick them out one by one and call them out too? Where does it ends? Its ridiculous.

Just dont be so damn overly sensitive and self righteous, the world is too woke already with hyper sensitive people that can be triggered or felt insulted by the smallest, most harmless things that expect the whole world to bend their knee to their frail egos.

Live and let live, practice what you preach and all will be well.

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
MacBook just came out of repair and I noticed that the power button/Touch ID sensor has a small nick on the top edge, and the Apple Store employees and manager said that it was considered within normal machining tolerances.

Really sucks because I personally would not tolerate this in the slightest, but oh well.
That's Genius Bar code for "please god don't make me replace the top case again."

• Haha
Reactions: SirKeldon

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
May I ask you to be respectful of feeling of those people who say that they have OCD, perhaps they really do and youre no doctor to diagnose it for them, its their rights to call it out loud if they feel they have unhealthy obession/disorder that might cause them great deal of stress and anxiety. Many people whot think that they have OCD of a kind in reality turn out to be suffering from other, no less debilitating, mental issues and stresses in their lives.
I myself used to struggle with some forms of OCD and, for the most part, Ive gotten over them, however, I dont feel bad for people if they say they are OCD even if its just their way of telling that they are perfectionist whiners, so what?
There are so many ways of people expressing themselves and their feelings, should we start to pick them out one by one and call them out too? Where does it ends? Its ridiculous.

Just dont be so damn overly sensitive and self righteous, the world is too woke already with hyper sensitive people that can be triggered or felt insulted by the smallest, most harmless things that expect the whole world to bend their knee to their frail egos.

Live and let live, practice what you preach and all will be well.
Words have meaning and power and a community that notices mistreatment, poor diagnosis, constant misunderstanding because their illness is constantly misused as something else is not just a question of “wokeness” and “offense taking”… it has deep impacts on how the society at large that incorrectly regard OCD as just a minor quirk treat those with it. Going to your boss to say your mental health is suffering because of your OCD and you need some time off to defuse, but your boss thinks this just means you like to organise the papers on your desk or you get “minimally triggered” and they don’t t treat your request seriously. When you tell a family member that you think you have OCD and they immediately think about your fastidious ways of doing things and conclude that yeah, you’re a bit quirky or neurotic and then they don’t get you the psychological help you need. That has major impacts. The way I see it constantly used on this site has virtually NO relation to those with actual OCD because real OCD sufferers don’t have OCD in relation to tiny nicks on a button or a misaligned screen protector (take my word on this, ”just right” OCD makes up a tiny percentage of sufferers, and perfectionism has very little to do with OCD) mso PLEASE don’t tell a sufferer that the others talking like this are actually saying it because of their genuinely diagnosed OCD. It’s a MAJOR issue for the community, the name of the disorder being used as an adjective or a quirk for just about anything related to correctness. It’s a little ask just not to misuse a word from those the most affected by the word.

• Angry
Reactions: You’re not me

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Upon closer inspection, it's not a dent but rather a small bump. Like a tiny grain of sand got trapped in the mould. Which I can tolerate.

You really shouldn't care about these things. No one likes getting a device with imperfections but this is really, really minor. If you do care about something like this - the obsessive-compulsive disorder you mention is not a figure of speech but a real mental health issue that you should probably seek professional help for.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
My advice to people who really do have OCD triggered by manufacturing imperfections that leads to debilitating compulsive behaviors: bring a doctor's note to the Apple Store. Personally, if someone came into my store and said "I have a kind of OCD and can't handle the fact there's a bump on my key", I'd tell them to kiss off and deal with an imperfect world. If someone gave me medical evidence that their life is severely impacted by an irrational but real response to things the rest of us are merely annoyed by, I'd go to the stock room and find them a new box.

Shreducator

Cancelled
Oct 17, 2020
The gasket around the display of my MacBook Pro is slightly off and when I focus on it I can see a bit of a gap with the aluminum. Does it change the function of the computer no. Do I care about it no. Have I noticed it much since no. There's more to life man.

Edit: didn't see you had OCD. I'm a bit OCD as well and have retuned new iPhones before. I even know the replacements SKU's come in on Mondays. Fish oil, Curcumin, CBD and cannabis has help me a ton.

Luposian

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2005
But... there's this HORRIBLE flaw that sets my brain on fire... like BONFIRE sized! It's known as "the notch", and it's on every M1 Macbook! And it gives me the heebee-geebees! Or is it the He-be-Bee-Gees, cause I'm still Stayin' Alive, in spite of it? I need to go see my doctor and get a medical note... "notches" are the spawn of Satan in the technological world! Creeps me out, just THINKING about them! 😆

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But... there's this HORRIBLE flaw that sets my brain on fire... like BONFIRE sized! It's known as "the notch", and it's on every M1 Macbook! And it gives me the heebee-geebees! Or is it the He-be-Bee-Gees, cause I'm still Stayin' Alive, in spite of it? I need to go see my doctor and get a medical note... "notches" are the spawn of Satan in the technological world! Creeps me out, just THINKING about them! 😆
Only Australian MacBooks give you the Heebee-BeeGees.

Reactions: trusso

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Got my MBP back from repair and had a nice big scratch on it, which wasn't there before. Couldn't prove it so I did not get anything from them. They really don't care.
its not just apple that's like is. every company is like this

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My guess is that you should take pictures of your device in their presence before service.

I do this when I pick up a rental car and when I go to drop it off. I noticed that some car rental places do this when you drive off - they have cameras at the exit gate, you sit there for a moment and it scans your car. This proves the condition of the car when you take it out. They don't do this when you bring it back though. So the car may be fine, then the staff drives it to cleaning and hits something and it's your fault.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for Apple to scan devices for intake so that they have proof that something wasn't damaged by their techs.

Reactions: chengengaun

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
If you wait a few weeks until it isn't brand new any more, you should be ok. This happens to me when I buy a car. It's beautiful and flawless, but soon collects small dents and dings, and I realize that such things can't be helped.
Heh, this is so true. That first ding hurts so much, but in a year or so you see a new one and just shrug and say "It's a harsh world I guess" and don't give it a second thought.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...They don't do this when you bring it back though. So the car may be fine, then the staff drives it to cleaning and hits something and it's your fault.

Unless you are using an automated drop off this shouldn't happen. In my experience when I have dropped a car off one of their employees walks around with you and checks it out. If something happens to the car after they sign off on it's condition its not your fault.

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
That seems a very minor thing tbh. But I understand that some people are troubled by these things, have OCD etc. Everyone is different. If possible, try to remember these things are used daily and will get marks and nicks through day to day living. I hope you're not a watch guy and if not, never become one! This is my Omega at the moment, look at the scratches etc on the clasp.

IMG_9053.PNG

But watch people accept this as inevitable, bar keeping the watch in a drawer and never using it, we accept this and even come to realise it's part of the story of the watch. And it can be sorted at the watches service with scratches being buffed out. But laptops, cars, watches, we use them day to day and they will pick up marks etc. Same as us as human beings, that's just living.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
That seems a very minor thing tbh. But I understand that some people are troubled by these things, have OCD etc. Everyone is different. If possible, try to remember these things are used daily and will get marks and nicks through day to day living. I hope you're not a watch guy and if not, never become one! This is my Omega at the moment, look at the scratches etc on the clasp.

View attachment 2004978

But watch people accept this as inevitable, bar keeping the watch in a drawer and never using it, we accept this and even come to realise it's part of the story of the watch. And it can be sorted at the watches service with scratches being buffed out. But laptops, cars, watches, we use them day to day and they will pick up marks etc. Same as us as human beings, that's just living.
I like to keep my devices entropy-free, yet it always finds it way.

Nice watch by the way. Is it left handed ?

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I like to keep my devices entropy-free, yet it always finds it way.

Nice watch by the way. Is it left handed ?

Of course, I always wear watches on the left hand. All high end watches are made for the left wrist with the crown on the right side of the watch.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
"Unless you are using an automated drop off this shouldn't happen. In my experience when I have dropped a car off one of their employees walks around with you and checks it out. If something happens to the car after they sign off on it's condition its not your fault."

I've been to many car rental return places where they have the long lines and there is someone who looks over the car. I've been to many car rental return places where you just park in rental space, walk to the office to get a receipt and then head to the train station or airport terminal.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
Of course, I always wear watches on the left hand. All high end watches are made for the left wrist with the crown on the right side of the watch.
I may have lost my spatial perception, but the crown of your omega sits on the left of the face, right ?

Hence the question about handed-ness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.