Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Macnews.net.tc echos some persisting rumors and fills out some details about Apple's timeline (re Powerbooks and iBooks) -- according to their source.

According to the site, Powerbooks will come in at 1.25 and 1.33GHz - in line with previous rumors, with possibily one more G4 revision before the Powerbooks get the G5.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
While this seems to make sense to me, I wonder why they didn't just do it at MWCE. Seems to me they have an established track record of "here it is" and "you can get one later" working for them already.

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
I read this article and it makes sense, although I sometimes wonder how many sources in the rumor community are other rumor sites!

I know there are big lovers of the iBook - I have never been one of them; however, I am not saying that I dislike them either. I think they definitely have their place in the line up - not just in processor power, but also in case style ( this in itself is a nice addition to the line ) and feature set.

I can see Apple's conundrum, especially if the IBM's G3 keeps advancing faster than Mot's G4 - but I hope they keep the book in some capacity.

Although, I've always questioned the need for the 14 inch - please don't spam, it's just MHO.

PS. When I say that I am not a lover of the iBook, I am not trying to dis it, I am only contrasting myself from those who DO love it.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Originally posted by Mudbug
While this seems to make sense to me, I wonder why they didn't just do it at MWCE. Seems to me they have an established track record of "here it is" and "you can get one later" working for them already.

I think that since the new iMac was originally debuted and had all those delays, all the consumer Macs have shipped immediately on announcement.

I expect they will wait until the G5s are shipping at the end of August, then announce updates to other products.

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
But the real question is...

When? I think that this is question that is lingering in everyone's minds. Besides, how long has it been since the Tibook was updated?

Exactly.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
I wonder whether they are going to update the PowerMac G4s as well... it would only be a marginally higher speed, but maybe using the 7457 would make them a bit more quiet.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: Apple's Plans

Originally posted by Macrumors
MacNews.net.tc also notes that G5 PowerMacs may see bumps by Jan/Feb 2004

We're already making G5 predictions, and they haven't even shipped yet :D

The article is pretty cool. I never really liked the 14" iBook... now it seems to overlap w/ the 12" PowerBook.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by crenz
I wonder whether they are going to update the PowerMac G4s as well... it would only be a marginally higher speed, but maybe using the 7457 would make them a bit more quiet.
Highly, highly doubted. The PowerMac G4s have all but disappeared from the site, I believe they are only there in "Server PowerMacs".... you can buy that single 1.25, but it's not advertised on the site or anything. Perhaps they'll sell a (relatively) crappy G4 for the lower price point, since the lowest you can configure a G5 is like 1650.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
sounds all good to me. i just hope apple gets powerbooks out soon, kids are ready for college, and mom and dad want to prep them up for the trip.

iJon

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
Originally posted by bobindashadows
Highly, highly doubted. The PowerMac G4s have all but disappeared from the site, I believe they are only there in "Server PowerMacs".... you can buy that single 1.25, but it's not advertised on the site or anything. Perhaps they'll sell a (relatively) crappy G4 for the lower price point, since the lowest you can configure a G5 is like 1650.

They are not only selling single 1.25's. There are two versions of the single proc 1.25 and one of the dual proc. They range in price from $1299 to $3274. These are the OS9 bootable machines.

And they are right there on Apple's store page:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...vnX6dRxrvVL8y6/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.8.1.0.0.0.1.0

I'm not saying that there will be any G4 updates, but I wanted to set the facts straight on this.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: Apple's Plans

Originally posted by bobindashadows
We're already making G5 predictions, and they haven't even shipped yet :D

The article is pretty cool. I never really liked the 14" iBook... now it seems to overlap w/ the 12" PowerBook.

Well the Power Mac G5 update in Jan/Feb is a no-brainer since Steve Jobs has already said that it'll go to 3 ghz within one year. So, assuming that it won't jump 1 ghz in one revision, we can expect an update 6 months from now.

I think as soon as Apple ships it's first 7457 machine, which should be a PowerBook, it'll be clear what kind of specs the iMacs and eMacs will get.

Also, with rumors that the 7457 is significantly cheaper and cooler than the 7455 it replaces, we might yet see a G4 iBook. Or maybe this will happen when the PBs finally get a G5.

Within 6 months, we should see something like this:

iBook G3 1.0 ghz: $999
iBook G3 1.2 ghz: $1299
PowerBook G4 12" 1.1 ghz: $1599
PowerBook G4 15" 1.2 ghz: $1999
PowerBook G4 15" 1.3 ghz: $2499
PowerBook G4 17" 1.3 ghz: $2999

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Lets just hope that none of the laptops are crippled. As long as the laptops are updated to a G4 1.25GHz model, I'll be happy. No, it doesn't make up for the 9 months or so that the 15" PB has been left untouched by Apple, but 1.25GHz is fast. Really. I'd like a 7457, and I'm sure that this is what is causing the long delay between updates (yes, I know that the 7457s are out already), but a 1.25GHz G4 is fine too.

And if those rumours of Apple ditching the iBook line are true, I'll be scrounging for a 900MHz model iBook on eBay or something, or maybe I'll settle for a 12" PB and pay a bit more. Yes, I said "settle". I don't think the casing will survive my trip from Canada to Australia, and several years of travelling to and from a research lab or hospital or whatever, but if that's my only choice, then :mad:. I'm already rough with my possessions as it is. At least make this update a good one, including to those who want an iBook but won't be able to get one. :(

Damn you, Jobs. You win this time, but next time.......ohhhhh next time.............I'll get you.

kmac51

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2003
Ordered 15" 1 Ghz w/ iPod

I went ahead and ordered a 1 Ghz 15" with an iPod thru the education store yesterday (7/22/03). My status is on or before 7/24 for the PBook and on or before 7/28 for the iPod.

Now I can't wait for the thing to get here. It'll be atleast 1 1/2 time my 400 Pbook!!!! Yea!

Kmac :p

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Re: Ordered 15" 1 Ghz w/ iPod

Originally posted by kmac51
I went ahead and ordered a 1 Ghz 15" with an iPod thru the education store yesterday...
Yep, I placed my order for the 1GHz TiBook today too. In doing so, I hereby reclaim my free time from continuously checking the rumor boards to see if there are any new predictions about when the updated PowerBook(s) will appear. ;)

brig

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
sounds all good to me. i just hope apple gets powerbooks out soon, kids are ready for college, and mom and dad want to prep them up for the trip.

iJon

Too late for the college crowd. I'd say 60% of us have bought our laptops. I caved in and bought a 12" (with a TON of extras such as monitor, ipod, speakers, and whatnot). All but one of my friend shave their dells. Apple missed the boat this year, hopefully next year they get it.

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
yea i do agree its too late for laptops even if they upgraded right now for the students. i got a 12 inch not too long ago too. besides, there are always upgrades you can get for older laptops.

DrGonzo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
I'm a student, waiting to buy a laptop, but they're not to late. If it's Oct. or Nov. then it will be too late for this semester. I find it laughable that most of you students think you need a laptop immediately.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Re: Re: Re: Apple's Plans

Originally posted by dongmin
iBook G3 1.0 ghz: $999
iBook G3 1.2 ghz: $1299
PowerBook G4 12" 1.1 ghz: $1599
PowerBook G4 15" 1.2 ghz: $1999
PowerBook G4 15" 1.3 ghz: $2499
PowerBook G4 17" 1.3 ghz: $2999

ri·dic·u·lous. There is no way I'd pay those prices for any of those.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
G4 with fast FSB?

While the G5 is significantly faster than the G4 - the speed tests on the CPUs themselves didn't show as big a difference.

Is it feasible that the G4-7457 could be released with a faster FSB and other system technologies?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Apple's Plans

Originally posted by Wonder Boy
ri·dic·u·lous. There is no way I'd pay those prices for any of those.
Yeah that is waaayy too expensive.

I hope they update the whole product line soon, because it really is never too soon.

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
I think 1.25 GHz and 1.33 GHz 7457 G4's would be good in the PowerBooks, iMacs, and eMacs. That would be a decent speed increase. I don't think Apple should get rid of the iBooks, though. They sell great and it's nice having a choice among several laptops.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
getting rid of the 14" ibook would be stupid, that means a person who wants a bigger screen needs to pay twice as much for a bigger screen, and thats not an exagguration either, ibook 12" starts at 1000 and pb15 starts at 2000.

capitalhood

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2003
Washington D.C.
mhz question

hey anyone know if the new g4 will be able to go above 1.42 ghz? it should be able to right, since it will be 130 nanometer instead of 180 (which the p3 is as well and it also tops out at 1.4 ghz) i mean i dont know too much on the subject but shouldn't it get much higher speeds on 130 nanometer tech?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.