Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I am purchasing Apple's AppleTV this week and I have a HDTV which will work fine with the HDMI or the Component Video outs but I just wish they had a RCA Video out or S-Video out for a standard TV that I wish to hook another AppleTV to.
My question, is there some type of converter that can convert either HDMI video or Component Video into S-Video or RCA Video?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I don't know if this works, I could try it but my PS3 isnt in my dorm room. HDMI-DVI-RCA, or HDMI-DVI-VGA-RCA

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Well Apple's site say it needs 480p(atleast) so even if you got a converter it likely it won't (unless Apple isn't giving us the whole story.)

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
You also have to have a wide screen TV....

What you need.
Widescreen TV
Mac or PC
iTunes 7
Wired or wireless network
HDMI cable or
Component video cables and analog audio cables or optical audio cable

RCA is analog and proably cannont handle any of the signals that :apple: tv puts out.

I think you are out of luck connecting to a normal (ie non digital TV).

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Call StarTech Monday 800.265.1844

You also have to have a wide screen TV....

What you need.
Widescreen TV
Mac or PC
iTunes 7
Wired or wireless network
HDMI cable or
Component video cables and analog audio cables or optical audio cable

RCA is analog and proably cannont handle any of the signals that :apple: tv puts out.

I think you are out of luck connecting to a normal (ie non digital TV).
Component is analog HD. Call Startech Monday 800.265.1844 and ask them. I can't find anything on their site. Everything appears to be gong the other way.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The main problem is that the signals are too different between Component and Composite or S-Video for a simple converter cable. So at the very least you would be looking at a 300-400$ converter, if one exists. The market seems to be pushing out more in the way of Composite/S-Video -> Component/DVI/HDMI converters and scalers.

Even then, you would have letterboxing on an older style TV, if the Apple TV cannot be put into a 4:3 mode. What this means is that any fullscreen video you have will be shown in a small box on the screen, and not fill it.

I really would only recommend getting an Apple TV if you actually have an EDTV or HDTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.