Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I've been away longer than I thought I guess. Do apps no longer backup to the computer when doing a sync? I assume with iCloud and the fact that apps are frequently updated has all but done away with the need to do this but still wanted to ask in case I missed something...

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I've been away longer than I thought I guess. Do apps no longer backup to the computer when doing a sync? I assume with iCloud and the fact that apps are frequently updated has all but done away with the need to do this but still wanted to ask in case I missed something...

Same... Not sure what's up with this? Must be a change in preferences. iTunes isn't automatically transferring purchases from iOS devices.

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
Similar problem here too on my 5 and iPad 3rd generation. The devices have stopped copying PDF files to my iTunes library that I download through the Internet on my devices.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Not sure if this is more iTunes related but if so, mods please move. To the posts above, did you notice this prior to iOS 6?

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
So apparently the way to do this, for now, is File > Devices > Transfer Purchases in iTunes. That works for what I need right now but it sure would be nice to get that part added back into the typical sync process like before...

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Just do a backup. That will copy them across into your iTunes library.
Nope, doesn't work.

So apparently after I kickstarted the copy by the steps I mentioned above, now it does in fact transfer the purchases each time I connect and do a backup. Before it wouldn't transfer them... now it does. So maybe it just needed a push from the start and now it's set to do it on its own.

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I find that iTunes automatically downloads apps, etc. that I have purchased on iPhone or iPad to my iTunes library. When I start iTunes I note that the first thing it does it download whatever I have purchased.

Don't think, because of this, that iTunes needs to copy from devices any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.