Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Wow I am so excited about the Apple Watch. But the many versions are a bit confusing; my main question about it is: will all iWatch collections be waterproof? Or is it just the sport collection?

shmeffrey

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Toronto Canada
On their website the Apple Watch page shows a guys covered in water, so I would assume they are all water resistant.

It would only make sense that they all are.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
On their website the Apple Watch page shows a guys covered in water, so I would assume they are all water resistant.

It would only make sense that they all are.

That is what I would think too. They said Apple Watch was meant to be used anytime anywhere, so that should mean it is waterproof

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I think if it were waterPROOF, they would have made mention of that in the keynote. I'm sure it's resistant, but I'd keep it out of the water.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I think if it were waterPROOF, they would have made mention of that in the keynote. I'm sure it's resistant, but I'd keep it out of the water.

Perhaps they didn't highlight it because it is not yet ready for final release. Maybe in early 2015 on launch they'll have it totally waterproof and your that as a feature.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Perhaps they didn't highlight it because it is not yet ready for final release. Maybe in early 2015 on launch they'll have it totally waterproof and your that as a feature.

If it was going to be waterproof they would know that by now. Also, I don't think people really want to be swimming with these watches, so I'm not sure how much demand there is for that right now. Resistant seems sufficient right now.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I suspect its only water resistant and not waterproof.

So what exactly is water resistant? Does it mean I can shower with it and wash my hands with it, but can't go swimming with it?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I love how everyone has all of these questions like someone on this forum has the answers. We all saw the same keynote!!

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
So what exactly is water resistant? Does it mean I can shower with it and wash my hands with it, but can't go swimming with it?

Yep, pretty much.

Actually, there is no such thing as "water proof" and I'm not sure why people keep throwing it around in this thread as if it's a technical term.

There are just degrees of water resistance. I think I heard a rumor that the iWatch would be water resistant up to 20 meters, which means it can withstand the pressure of being under water at up to 20 meters. Most athletic swimmers' type watches are resistant up to 100 or 300 meters. So 20 meters is pretty basic which would keep it safe while, indeed, washing your hands or being dropped in the toilet. But the fact that they haven't made a big deal out of it says to me that it's not intended to be taken in the shower or the pool or anything like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.