Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
I had my iPhone X since launch date, and at first it was cool sending Animojis. But 4 weeks later, I'm finding the excitement die out. I just feel its getting a bit boring. iPhone X users, what do you all think?

Reactions: Earth45

1981d

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I haven’t found a use for them, and they don’t work as well for me as in the promotional videos.

Reactions: Earth45

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't understand why Apple considers them a feature.

I understand the usefullness of the technology behind them, but surely animojis themselves do not rise to the level of features such as the camera, processor, etc.

It's certainly nothing I'd be sending to anyone in my contact list.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
Well, I would wager that Animojis don't work by themselves as their potential for humor depends on the creativity put into them. This morning my girlfriend asked what I was doing and I sent a poo Animoji doing a wink. Was enough for a chuckle. And I have never once sent an emoji but I find Animojis more dynamic for humor.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s the biggest feature on the tv advert for the X but looks pretty boring after sending the first couple. A bit like sending confetti or fireworks in iMessage soon wore off.

I personally don't care for the Animoji's, I understand what Apple trying to do is demonstrate the technology by using the TrueDepth Camera and face mapping features to express how the Animoji's work. But its something that I would never personally use, even though I think the technology is interesting.

I also think Apple is trying to make this technology fun and expressive to use for the consumer to appreciate what they are doing, even though it doesn't apply to everybody the same way.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I personally don't care for the Animoji's, I understand what Apple trying to do is demonstrate the technology by using the TrueDepth Camera and face mapping features to express how the Animoji's work. But its something that I would never personally use, even though I think the technology is interesting.

I also think Apple is trying to make this technology fun and expressive to use for the consumer to appreciate what they are doing, even though it doesn't apply to everybody the same way.

I’m sure the technology will be used for useful and interesting things further down the line, no doubt. There’s got to be more to it than Animojis and unlocking your phone.

I would wager there’s more than a few people who see the iPhone X advert with the singing animal heads and say ‘what’s the point in that’ though. It strikes me as the kind of thing teenagers might have a laugh with in group chats every now and then, but I doubt adults will use it beyond a couple of times. It makes me cringe a bit that it’s being marketed as a major feature and unique selling point. It’s just another feature to me. The extra gif options and animations in iMessage were more enticing I think.

Reactions: ShawnXian

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m sure the technology will be used for useful and interesting things further down the line, no doubt. There’s got to be more to it than Animojis and unlocking your phone.

I would wager there’s more than a few people who see the iPhone X advert with the singing animal heads and say ‘what’s the point in that’ though. It strikes me as the kind of thing teenagers might have a laugh with in group chats every now and then, but I doubt adults will use it beyond a couple of times. It makes me cringe a bit that it’s being marketed as a major feature and unique selling point. It’s just another feature to me. The extra gif options and animations in iMessage were more enticing I think.

The Animoji's remind me of Snapchat, and I personally don't care for that either. But it's a each to their own situation and what they want from the iPhone. Apple knows that everybody's going to appreciate or use Animoji's differently, but it's there as a feature nonetheless.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The Animoji's remind me of Snapchat, and I personally don't care for that either. But it's a each to their own situation and what they want from the iPhone. Apple knows that everybody's going to appreciate or use Animoji's differently, but it's there as a feature nonetheless.
I’ve never used snapchat so don’t know much about it. I don’t know anybody that uses it either as WhatsApp seems to be the most used in my groups.
I’m sure Apples marketing research has returned enough data to see the need for Animojis. When I get an iPhone with it on in the future it’ll be in the ‘Stuff’ folder with Stocks, keynote, Home and Numbers apps lol.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It’s the biggest feature on the tv advert for the X but looks pretty boring after sending the first couple. A bit like sending confetti or fireworks in iMessage soon wore off.

I actually use those confetti and fireworks depending on if I’m wishing someone. Apple has all the stats of course. I think a lot of people use them but others just forget that they’re there.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
played with the tech aspect for a minute and had enough.
childish. it's meant for bigger things soon.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Eh, I think I tired it once the day I got my phone. The so called "expression" copying is over sold and doesn't really work as well as advertised. The choices are also really boring. Surely a third party could do a better job with the technology and make it more fun - like Bitmoji, that would be fun sending Animojie's of your own caricature.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I have not sent one yet and completely forgot about them. I prefer to use Bitmoji.
Bitmoji offers a more personalized way to use stickers in messaging. You a kinda-customized personal response, then you drag in a sticker with your likeness doing something conversation appropriate.

Animoji is interesting tech (that is artificially limited to X users since it works with the dot camera covered) but the character choices are limited and generic.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Bitmoji offers a more personalized way to use stickers in messaging. You a kinda-customized personal response, then you drag in a sticker with your likeness doing something conversation appropriate.

Animoji is interesting tech (that is artificially limited to X users since it works with the dot camera covered) but the character choices are limited and generic.

Yep use them every day and change their outfits to somewhat match mine for the day as well.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I had my iPhone X since launch date, and at first it was cool sending Animojis. But 4 weeks later, I'm finding the excitement die out. I just feel its getting a bit boring. iPhone X users, what do you all think?
Strange question & overall stance.

Why do you need others to tell you if something is boring? Will others' view impact yours?

You bought the phone for reasons other than animoji yeah?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.