Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think?

• People really utilize and need all the features SLR's bring

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • They are the 'cool' to own right now / status thing

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Oh, that makes sense. So nothing technically speaking is like an SLR. But in the way it feels, it's almost a transitional camera?

I can certainly understand the price comparison being a big factor.

For educational purposes, a semi-DSLR does not actually have a single lens reflector. The view finders are (afaik) akk digital. They often time suffer from the same lag as P&S. However they offer full manual control, a far better feel and durability, and house a none interchangeable compact hi zoom lenses. My fuji s5000 had a 30-300mm equiv lens in it. Go look at what that kind of lens would cost you on a SLR camera :eek:
All the other features are a middle ground between P&S cameras and DSLRs.

I know a number of pro photographers that when on outings with family or fun, will bring a semi-dslr for the size and flexibility instead of their much larger and heavier gear bag to cover the same range. the Canon S3 is a very popular one for example.

Cheers

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
[It is very easy to explain: The prices have come down. I saw my first DSLR in a press area in the Los Angeles Olympic Games in 1984. That was a custom built camera not even available for sale. Later I saw and rented some very expensive Nikon/Kodak (had both brand names on it) that had a retail price in the $5k range. Finally years later Canon introduced the Rebel ad I took notice. It was something I could afford. Then the Nikon D70 came out and I planned to buy one but then the D50 came out and I did buy one. All this time I was using film SLR. Bought my first SLR in about 1973, The last one I bought was the Nikon N90. I was waiting for the price and quality to come into line.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Spoken like a true gearhead..... It's not supposed to be a pissing match.

Truth is for me, if I could possibly get the same quality pictures out of a compact camera as I can out of my DSLR, then I would DEFINITELY opt for a compact camera. I hate the conspicuousness of walking around with a DSLR, I hate the looks I get from people, I hate the comments like "do you work for the paper?" or "that's a serious camera!" or "how much did that cost you?" but I LOVE the pictures I get from my DSLR, so I put up with everything else. I just want to mind my own business and take pictures. :)

I wish more people had SLR's, it would probably make me stand out less.

THANK YOU I HATE FEALING

Im taking pics on the sideline of a soccor game and all i hear is wow look at that kid blah blah blah, so after a while i put on my headphones and just block it out

In fact i was shooting for a soccer game once and i was using my mono pod and all I heard from a girl in a the stands was "nice stick call me some time"

I was about to same "you cant handle this stick" :p

ya besides the point leave us alone.... most of the time we're not bothering you

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I don't even call myself a photographer ....
At current prices, I don't see digital SLRs as being cool, just expensive.

No, relatively speaking they are cheap. I can buy a D50 system for $700.00 Compare that to a what you would have had to pay for a mid range Nikon film SLR and a year's supply of film and processing. Account for inflation.

If you go back to the 1970's you'd pay about 1 month's income for a Nikon SLR. A new car cost $3K then but You's pay $1K for a nikon SLR system.
and about $400 for a low end Minolta or Pentax system

Today a DSLR cost MUCH less in terms of percent of a middle class income. I'd say they are 1/5th of the pric they used to be. Back in the day, only a very serious photographer would consider buying Nikon. Most normal people just looked at them and bought something else.

The other thing that is expanding the market is ease of use. When photography was new you have to have a wet chemistry lab within walking distance of your camera. Must people in the 1800's lacked the technical skill and resources to handle wet glass plates. When they invented roll film and commercial labs photography "took off". Every advance in technology opens up camera usage to more people. The DSLR is the latest in this.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
idk... i think some people know what their doing while others have no clue what to do and leave it on auto...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If I had a dime (okay, maybe $10) for every time I hear "Do you work for the paper?!", I'd have a new DSLR... :rolleyes:
Admittedly, most times I say "yes" because I shoot for my college paper, but that's not the point :)

I've never been asked if I work for my "uni" paper. Actually, sometimes I actually AM shooting something for uni, so I guess they're right sometimes and if someone finally did ask me that question, I'd have to say "Yes" if I was at that moment. :eek: It's only really easy stuff, like photos of students who attend uni events (for promotional things), and sometimes bands, competitions, etc.

The only comments I get are "Wow, that's a serious looking camera", and "How much did it cost?"

Cameras scare people. DSLRs really scare people.

Word.

Nobody wants to be photographed by my DSLR because of it's size and dominant presence amongst the ultra-thin point-and-shoots. Plus, it'll steal their soul.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I've never been asked if I work for my "uni" paper. Actually, sometimes I actually AM shooting something for uni, so I guess they're right sometimes and if someone finally did ask me that question, I'd have to say "Yes" if I was at that moment. :eek: It's only really easy stuff, like photos of students who attend uni events (for promotional things), and sometimes bands, competitions, etc.

The only comments I get are "Wow, that's a serious looking camera", and "How much did it cost?"

Well on campus I am asked less often because it's a small school and if you read the paper you know my name. Plus there is that assumption. But I've been asked round town, at amusement parks, etc etc.
It's only when I have the 70-200 on though, not when I have the kit 18-55mm. Size does matter, apparently ;)

Nobody wants to be photographed by my DSLR because of it's size and dominant presence amongst the ultra-thin point-and-shoots. Plus, it'll steal their soul.

Funny you say that last bit. We actually had an exchange student at our school who was from one of the African countries that firmly believes that. This man was a bit above that, and knew better, but it was always a good joke (that he was part of).

I sweR people think I'm like looking through their clothes or something with mine. I think the problem is that compact cameras use small lenses that bring subject very close. As mentioned before, my small fuji had a 30-300 equiv lens on it. When you set it next to my 20D 70-200mm the unknowing must think I can see mars with it :rolleyes:

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Word.

There is something to that. People have a lot easier time having their picture taken by point and shoots than dSLRs. I probably even do. Strange how that works. I think perhaps an SLR reminds people of posed pictures. Weddings, senior pictures, Christmas cards, etc. But a point and shoot typically reminds them of family events like the 4th of July, Halloween, or just being out with their friends.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I don't really find that to be the case too much with me. In fact, I think its nice to be able to catch people in a quick pose, or in the moment with an SLR, as opposed to a P&S where you have to wait for it to slowly focus, then wait for the shutter lag. By the time the thing has taken a picture, people are mostly wearing fake smiles. :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I don't really find that to be the case too much with me. In fact, I think its nice to be able to catch people in a quick pose, or in the moment with an SLR, as opposed to a P&S where you have to wait for it to slowly focus, then wait for the shutter lag. By the time the thing has taken a picture, people are mostly wearing fake smiles. :)

I want to get a dslr (upgrading from my venture into photography with my now very outdated minolta a1, cost me the same as a D400 does now) so they are cool.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington

But people LOVE their fake smiles. People LOVE posing.
And now matter how many times I tell them their ugly posed and faking it, and the "real you" is better, they don't believe it.

And you can actually get Candid shots inside with a DSLR? I'm pretty sure I couldn't get more attention by yelling "BOMB".

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Abstract said:

Ah, those questions are always awkward.

Abstract said:

I get weird/nervous looks from clients when I pull the 70-200 f/2.8IS out, especially from the ladies. "That's not going to be super close up and show every blemish and imperfection is it?"

I have to explain to them that this is my "magic dust" lens, and it makes people look really amazing. I usually refer them to an image they saw on my website or blog, and tell them I shot that image with the big lens.

Still, they are usually apprehensive for the first few shots.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
not at all, and no should have been a choice. At least for my age. Being a sophmore in HS, many kids think they are wierd, but they also dont care when their pics are totally out of focus. Whatever.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
^^Ok, but I think I could totally understand that as someone getting photographed. As a photographer, I don't really care since it gives me results, but as someone getting photographed, I'd feel intimidated.

And you can actually get Candid shots inside with a DSLR? I'm pretty sure I couldn't get more attention by yelling "BOMB".

I can't get candids with a DSLR. I don't know how nosen does it. Maybe he's the exception. I don't know. All I know is that I can't imagine the DSLR making a decent spy camera. :eek: I whip out my DSDLR, and it's goodbye anonymity!

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
the worst part of the social aspect of a dslr is showing it to your peers... they all think its weird and strange... or at least mine did:rolleyes" , they got over it though so its all good:cool:

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
for all those talking about the fear of telephotos, i've found that shooting without a hood when possible makes things a *bit* better.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Don't photograph people with an external flash. My friend did this at someone's birthday with his 350D, and people tried not to be in the shot, as if they were standing in front of a path of bullets. :p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Don't photograph people with an external flash. My friend did this at someone's birthday with his 350D, and people tried not to be in the shot, as if they were standing in front of a path of bullets. :p

Did he melt any buttons? There are several out there powerful enough to cause serious melting. :D Usually, you can adjust the flash angle so as not to permanently disable people, so the dSLR remains cool.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
I've been seeing more and more people carrying around DSLR's, and it seems like a lot of people are buying them. It kind of seems like apple notebooks...you just see them everywhere now, or at least I do in my town. Just wondering what you guys thought. Are people buying them because they truely need them and the features they provide, or is it more of a status thing.

I bought my D50, simply because digital has some advantages over my film SLRs, I outgrew my digital camera and needed more control over my photos and the ability to use different lenses for different applications.

Discuss. I'm interested if you people have noticed this trend and what you think.

I'm not too sure what we are supposed to discuss but I'll give it my best shot.

No. DSLR's are not cool. They are merely a tool to do a job and a cumbersome tool at that. Digital 'cool' would be something like a Leica M8 which would be just DR rather than DSLR where the 'R' stands for 'rangefinder' rather than 'reflex'. Or DTLR, now that would be cool but I can't ever see anyone making one.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
^^Leica rangefinders are cool to you because you know what they are. To most people, DSLRs are cool, big DSLRs are cooler, or at least it's something showy to....erm...."show off". They don't know that Leica is more expensive. They haven't even seen it at Best Buy!

Did he melt any buttons? There are several out there powerful enough to cause serious melting. :D Usually, you can adjust the flash angle so as not to permanently disable people, so the dSLR remains cool.

He aimed it at the ceiling and said something like, "Don't worry, I'm not going to aim it at you." Aiming it towards the ceiling just added to the craziness and puzzlement of it all. ;)

dogbone

macrumors 68020
^^Leica rangefinders are cool to you because you know what they are.

Aye, there's the rub.

Cool is all about being one of the selected cognoscenti is it not? I mean if everyone is 'cool' then no one is cool. But it is possible to be cool within the already cool group. For example using a leica is automatically cool but only to the few leica afficiandos who can recognise it. However I used to use a leica MD which looks like a normal leica m but it did not have a rangefinder. Where the rangefinder was, was just blank metal. It was meant to be used on a microscope stand where the rangefinder was redundant.

Anyway I used to use this md with a 21mm superangulon. The 21mm needs it's own finder as it is too wide to be accomodated in the normal m viewfinder, although the rangefinding focus still works you just cannot see how much will be in the shot. However because it is so wide it is basically always in focus and it was pretty certain that if you pointed it at something odds were that you would get the shot anyway. So I used to use the 21mm angulon on the md without the special 21mm finder. If you can picture this it would look quite odd to someone who even recognised it as a leica.

What I'm babbling on about here is that it looked really cool. But a friend of mine also had a very cool setup, he used a IIIg with an old screw mount 35mm lens and a 35mm finder that was chipped. The IIIg was mint and the screw mount 35 was really quite good and of course the chipped finder made no difference to the quality of the shot. That was pretty cool.

But back to the original point, in the 60's an SLR looked pretty professional compared to what most people use. But these days every tom dick and mary has a camera with a f*** off big lens on it. None of them look cool. Unless its a hasselblad with a digital back and gps.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
I think people are buying them for a few reasons:
1. They last longer and provide the ability to take better pictures and allow one to grow into the hobby.
2. They have become more affordable and people have been through buying the 1,2,4,5 megapixel P&S cameras and decided that one larger investment is better than getting a new camera every year or 2.
3. Maybe a status thing or a cry for people to take them more seriously...who knows, but I think the first 2 reasons are valid.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I'm "in the market" for a dSLR so-to-speak. And it's not to be cool. In fact, I prefer going around campus shooting with my point and shoot as opposed to my Canon SLR. Which, yes, when I do take it out has a telephoto zoom on it and that freaks people out. The most awkward elevator rides ever. I think among people who aren't photography enthusiasts dSLRs are simply for professionals. Why can they not see that they can be used by hobbyists as well? I know people with telescopes and I don't think they're astronomers, I know people with guitars and I don't consider them rock stars.

Yes it is true, people of America, I Eric Busch enjoy photography. I am not a professional photographer and close to never get payed for my photographs. Yet, I do it anyway. Sincerely,
-Mac Rumors Digital Photography Forum

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.