Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does Apple practice planned obsolescence?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure, but probably

• Not sure, but probably not

Results are only viewable after voting.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Based on that video, i think this can go both ways. It does gives some weight toward conspiracy theorists, but then it could be unintentional. I think even old iphone models could still go on, but the problem is how optimized is the software for the hardware? Nobody could say it’s intentional or not but apple people themselves. Nobody knows but them. I can see that this video is heavily bias againat apple, but i think there may be some truth to it. I’m talking about software optimization of course. I am somewhat leaning toward that it may not be intentional side.

jefffriscotx

Suspended
Oct 22, 2017
Based on that video, i think this can go both ways. It does gives some weight toward conspiracy theorists, but then it could be unintentional. I think even old iphone models could still go on, but the problem is how optimized is the software for the hardware? Nobody could say it’s intentional or not but apple people themselves. Nobody knows but them. I can see that this video is heavily bias againat apple, but i think there may be some truth to it. I’m talking about software optimization of course. I am somewhat leaning toward that it may not be intentional side.
THAT MAKE SENSE

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
put Ottbox Defender box on !!!!!

The point of video was not indicating iPhones are not durable in the sense of build, it's indicating that iPhones are intentionally slowed down with iOS updates (Which I don't agree with) and have have defects similarly to touch disease as example listed in the video.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
I came across this video that was recently uploaded by one of my favorite channels, Alltime Conspiracies. I thought it was rather interesting considering the upcoming release of the iPhone X.

Frankly, I wasn’t surprised by anything mentioned in the video with how long I’ve been following Apple. What do you you guys think about Apple's product strategy after watching?

Believe me if i want to use iphone 5/5s i can easily use for my day to day task. I still have and i use occasionally. I think they pushed the newest update on it too. It’s been so many years since iphone 5 was released and they still supporting it. Regarding the looks its obvious they will change it and it changes in cars, TVs, Homes etc...After X i am not sure whether apple will introduce any new design soon.

jefffriscotx

Suspended
Oct 22, 2017
The point of video was not indicating iPhones are not durable in the sense of build, it's indicating that iPhones are intentionally slowed down with iOS updates (Which I don't agree with) and have have defects similarly to touch disease as example listed in the video.
hilarious

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Look up Sony Timer. Apple just happened to copy Sony again.

Before iPod and iPhone, devices had expandable storage, used universal standard to charge it, removable battery, and simple drag and drop files from your computer.

Now it's, "I'm running out of storage" or "I have to pay $80 to get a battery replacement" when a swappable battery cost a fraction of it. I expect the same typical answers. Apple can do no wrong. They all are guilty of it. LG probably did it with bootloops. HTC made Ones harder to fix.

Just keep buying and buying even if they don't care about you. Your new purchases from them is what they all care about.

0:16 mark

A business is interested in you buying their products? WOW!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.