Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacYost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
The Netherlands
Recently my AirPods started to sound softer and softer. I used to listen with the volume bar at 1/3 of full. Now I need to put it on 90% to get a decent sound level. Also the bass has gone, the sound like an AM radio.

I tried to clean them (outside only) and I did a reset. Nothing changed.

They are 3 years old and used every day. Are they end of life or could the be fixed in some way?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
3 years of daily usage is pretty good.

What usually happens is the innards get gunked up with earwax that gets pushed inside the ear pieces and it gradually diminishes sound quality and volume.

If you've tried cleaning then there's not much you can do if they are gummed up inside. If the battery is also, as I would expect, not lasting very long now then it's probably time to buy new AirPods as they are practically impossible to fix - even for Apple.

Reactions: MacYost

MacYost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
The Netherlands
Thanks. The battery life is actually still quite nice. I can’t tell you what it is, but it doesn’t feel as a restriction for my current usage.

I read somewhere that I could get them (properly) cleaned at an Apple Store (I only tried to clean the outside). But that would be a day trip for me to another city. I’m wondering what they will do more in the store than what I already did?

My local Apple reseller seems to be able to do it to, but is asking 25 euros for this cleaning service. And I’m wondering if that is worth the cost.

MacYost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
The Netherlands
In the meanwhile I remembered there’s also YouTube and I searched for cleaning AirPods.

After watching some videos about how to clean, I decided to try it out on mine. I put some alcohol on them, let it soak for a minute and then started brushing with a toothbrush.

This was 50% successful. Both AirPods sounded much better afterwards. The volume and bass were back. But I also broke something in the right one, as all kick drum and bass notes are now resonating and rumbling.

So I ordered a new pair, and will keep using my old left one for running only (as that’s when I only need to hear a metronome).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.