Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
Hello,
today a miracle happened and I finally went outside. It was pouring rain and I had AirPods in my ear. Long story short: One of the AirPods sounds strange now. I can't really describe it, but the right AirPod sounds as if the sound is coming from far and is kinda muffled. I tried cleaning it with Apple's cleaning cloth and everything and I think it's dry now. At least looks like it when I looked into it with a flashlight. The other one still works fine.
I was kinda wondering if one of my AirPods is done now for good or should I wait or what should I do? This has been my biggest fear to be honest, but I've walked in rain before and nothing has happened. Does anyone have any tips?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
was kinda wondering if one of my AirPods is done now for good or should I wait or what should I do?
You should wait several hours. Do not charge the pod if you are concerned there is moisture in the device.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
You should wait several hours. Do not charge the pod if you are concerned there is moisture in the device.
Oh lord, I put them already back in the case… Took them out now and will wait.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
run a q-tip in the holes in the case to get any moisture out that you may have introduced.

it's possible the microphone just got a bit of water over it, and that's affecting the sound coming in, which is affecting the noise cancelling.

Try turning off noise cancelling, and see if the sound improves.

it wouldn't hurt to place them, with the case open, and AirPods out of the case on a sunny window sill for an hour or 2, the heat from the sun should be enough to take care of any water, but not damage the electronics. take your location into account, if you're super sunny, then less time,

If they are hosed, the gen2 are a huge improvement, over the gen1 in both sound quality and noise canceling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.