Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Digital SKunk said:
I say get the 17-55 while you can. Waiting for an update with glass is crazier than waiting for an update with Apple. At least Apple give them every 6-8 months. The 17-55 is still "NEW" in terms of glass.

:p
I've been reading a lot this last days about the 17-55, and it do seems an excellent lens that would last me a loooong time. Tho I have also read some pretty good comments about the new 16-85.

It seems that it has a good bokeh also, and the VR would let me take photos in low light situations. The only con that I see with this lens is that it may not be a much better lens than my current 18-55 kit lens.

Has the OP thought about Tokina? If you are looking for what the 17-55 gives you, in a Sigma like price, with much better build quality all around, take a look at the Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 This would be my choice if it wasn't for the lens extention during zoom, and build quality compared to the Nikon. Personally, if you have the choice to go with the 17-55, get it. It's the best you can get and will last a lot longer than you think.

Does it has internal focus motor? I haven't been able to find if it has or not.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
:p
I've been reading a lot this last days about the 17-55, and it do seems an excellent lens that would last me a loooong time. Tho I have also read some pretty good comments about the new 16-85.

It seems that it has a good bokeh also, and the VR would let me take photos in low light situations. The only con that I see with this lens is that it may not be a much better lens than my current 18-55 kit lens.

Does it has internal focus motor? I haven't been able to find if it has or not.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the 16-85... that's why it's so expensive, the VR and the wide angle. It's an okay lens but it seems that Nikon has to sacrifice faster apertures to get that VR. Having 5.6 at 85 isn't that bad unless you are in low light. It's a nice replacement for the 17-80 IMHO, and may end up in my bag on a D40x for that reason.

I just came back from my local store and the 17-55 was selling used for $930, the guy that sold it also sold his D2xs, and that was going for $1400. For anyone reading, GET YOUR GEAR NOW... find a local shop.

The Tokina has everything the 17-55 has sans the build quality and compact zoom range. The two things I don't like about it so far are build related. The lens extends a bit, not too much, but a bit when fully zoomed out. And the lens isn't made out of the STEEL that the 17-55 is made of, but it's much better than the Sigma and Tamron... at a higher price though $630 instead of $499 or less.

For me, I am still torn between the Tokina and the Nikon... I could use the extra 300 bucks to get some more cards or another SB800... but that 17-55 has been a real performer with speed, sharpness, and IQ.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Can the Tokina come close to matching the Nikon 17-55mm's bokeh?

I haven't tested that yet.... I don't know if I can until I get it and bring it into a controlled environment. I do know that the bokeh on the 17-55 is impressive though.

For me, that's the only reason to stick with the same company when getting accessories, unless you can prove to yourself that you're getting the same or comparable piece of equipment.

p.s. I know that the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 will be in my bag soon though, since Nikon doesn't make a comparable version.

luv2takepics

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
Need help choosing a lense for my Nikon D50 SLR

I really like the Nikkor 18-200 but I really don't have the money. Are the Sigma 18-200 or 18-250, or Tamron 18-200,18-250,18-270 good quality. I'd like this to be a last lense purchase for a while. The 18-270 sounds amazing. Also I know I want vibration control but what else do I definitely need. I'm not sure how to tell if any of these won't work on my D-50. I know someone can set me straight. HELP the rookie PLEASE!!!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I really like the Nikkor 18-200 but I really don't have the money. Are the Sigma 18-200 or 18-250, or Tamron 18-200,18-250,18-270 good quality. I'd like this to be a last lense purchase for a while. The 18-270 sounds amazing. Also I know I want vibration control but what else do I definitely need. I'm not sure how to tell if any of these won't work on my D-50. I know someone can set me straight. HELP the rookie PLEASE!!!

To be completely honest with you, I'd say go for the Nikon SOLELY on it's glass quality. The price of that piece of glass is so high because (from what I see and have heard) Nikon made it for the Pro/serious amateur. Not that the others aren't decent either though.

I personally haven't tested them, you are on the right course to getting your answer.

Personally, having used the Sigma 18-200 (really consumer version) I would save SAVE SAVE the extra cash and get the 18-200

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.