Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
drake said:
I wouldn't buy a Canon lens in this country (Canada) since they lost my $1000 "L" lens when sent for repair and very actively hid that fact from me for over a month. It was a bit of a shock to be given this treatment from what I considered one of the best companies out there.

So, IMO a trusted brand name isn't a guarantee of anything.

It would be helpful to have more details on your plight with Canon and your repair.

Working for a camera shop, I do see issues sometimes with "lost repairs". But generally they have been dealt with in what I would consider to be a "professional" manner.

I know that you are angry over the "loss" of your gear, as would I. But you painted a very broad picture of your problem. More details may be better to explain what is the real concern. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Chip NoVaMac said:
With grey market items, Canon will do warranty repairs, Nikon will not do any repairs - unless you can prove that you bought the item while out of country.

I thought that Canon would, but it's good to know that Nikon will do repairs as well if you bought an item personally while in another country.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Abstract said:
I thought that Canon would, but it's good to know that Nikon will do repairs as well if you bought an item personally while in another country.

As should Canon do the same.Self serving my working for an authorized dealer of major brands.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
It would be helpful to have more details on your plight with Canon and your repair.

Working for a camera shop, I do see issues sometimes with "lost repairs". But generally they have been dealt with in what I would consider to be a "professional" manner.

I know that you are angry over the "loss" of your gear, as would I. But you painted a very broad picture of your problem. More details may be better to explain what is the real concern. :)

Okay, you asked for it. :D

Sent it in last fall to have them look at a focuing issue. Called them a week after sent to confirm they got the lens, and to find out what timeframe I'd be looking at. The person I was transfered to seemed not very professional, he did tell me it arrived unharmed, that they'd contact me within a week to let me know if they found any problems, and also added "how busy they are".

I let two weeks pass before calling for an update. They couldn't put me through to anyone, so I left a voice message. Two days later, no reply. Called again, no one to take my call, left another voice message. No reply for another day. After a two more days of this, I was insisting on talking to a real person, they said there wasn't anyone to take my call (was always the same person answering the phone, they must have a very tiny staff), left another voice message. This went on for nearly two weeks, never actually talking to anyone but the receptionist. Even tried calling the head of customer support in their HQ and didn't get a reply.

Finally got feed up, sent the President of Canon Canada a fax stating the the problem I was having reaching any real person at their repair facility in Calgary. Less than a half hour after sending the fact, I got an email from a Customer Support person at the Calgary facility saying they would "fast track my lens" :rolleyes: and I'd have it back shortly.

Another week passed, no lens. Then I get another email saying they'd lost the lens, and would send me a cheque. The cheque wasn't for actual replacement costs, but for the sale price I bought it at (about a $100 difference). This lens was ten months old, and under warranty. So, for a month, they actively avoided taking my calls and telling me they'd lost the lens. My guess is, they were looking for it and hoping they'd find it before dealing with me. Pretty awful experience and I never want to deal with them again.

Just thought I'd add that before I sent it in, I read another horror story (in a photo forum) of some guy who sent his camera into a Canon repair depot in Chicago. He apparently received the office garbage (banana peels, waste paper, sandwich bits, etc) back with his unrepaired camera. I took it as an isolate, unsupported story and didn't worry...but now, I fully believe it.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
drake said:
Okay, you asked for it. :D

Sent it in last fall to have them look at a focuing issue. Called them a week after sent to confirm they got the lens, and to find out what timeframe I'd be looking at. The person I was transfered to seemed not very professional, he did tell me it arrived unharmed, that they'd contact me within a week to let me know if they found any problems, and also added "how busy they are".

I let two weeks pass before calling for an update. They couldn't put me through to anyone, so I left a voice message. Two days later, no reply. Called again, no one to take my call, left another voice message. No reply for another day. After a two more days of this, I was insisting on talking to a real person, they said there wasn't anyone to take my call (was always the same person answering the phone, they must have a very tiny staff), left another voice message. This went on for nearly two weeks, never actually talking to anyone but the receptionist. Even tried calling the head of customer support in their HQ and didn't get a reply.

Finally got feed up, sent the President of Canon Canada a fax stating the the problem I was having reaching any real person at their repair facility in Calgary. Less than a half hour after sending the fact, I got an email from a Customer Support person at the Calgary facility saying they would "fast track my lens" :rolleyes: and I'd have it back shortly.

Another week passed, no lens. Then I get another email saying they'd lost the lens, and would send me a cheque. The cheque wasn't for actual replacement costs, but for the sale price I bought it at (about a $100 difference). This lens was ten months old, and under warranty. So, for a month, they actively avoided taking my calls and telling me they'd lost the lens. My guess is, they were looking for it and hoping they'd find it before dealing with me. Pretty awful experience and I never want to deal with them again.

Just thought I'd add that before I sent it in, I read another horror story (in a photo forum) of some guy who sent his camera into a Canon repair depot in Chicago. He apparently received the office garbage (banana peels, waste paper, sandwich bits, etc) back with his unrepaired camera. I took it as an isolate, unsupported story and didn't worry...but now, I fully believe it.

Wow, sorry to hear of the problems. Did you ever contact the dealer you bought it from? I know that the shop I work for has worked some good magic in tough situations like this. Maybe it is the difference between Canon USA vs Canon Canada. In at least one situation that I know of a camera company sent a replacement camera.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Wow, sorry to hear of the problems. Did you ever contact the dealer you bought it from? I know that the shop I work for has worked some good magic in tough situations like this. Maybe it is the difference between Canon USA vs Canon Canada. In at least one situation that I know of a camera company sent a replacement camera.

Yes, I contacted Henrys Camera in Toronto. They weren't able to do much. And yes, I think there's a big difference between the service we get in Canada and what you get in the US. I also think that the Japanese company Canon produces great, reliable products. The US owned company Canon Canada is a different story. I'd still buy Canon if I were dealing directly with Canon in Japan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.