Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Update:

Although Google’s security warning, newly added to the now-deprecated/disabled “use less secure apps” option, notes that users of Google Workspace will continue to have access for an unspecified amount of time beyond 30 May 2022, my primary Google email, which is (apparently) a Workspace account, stopped (once more) accepting logins from GyazMail on Monday (6 June).

1654627413520.png

For now, at least with my main Gmail account, I’ve turned, reluctantly, to the 2-step-generate-app-password workaround suggested by @Wowfunhappy on a related thread over on the Early Intel Macs forum. I have confirmed this method works, with the aforementioned elements which make me reluctantly use it.

Much to my frustration, there remains a few, lesser used email accounts I’ve had around (for even longer than my “main” account), which I have not connected with a second device (i.e., my phone or a physical, proprietary USB security key). Although I vowed earlier in this thread to do so before, the remainder of my gmail accounts will probably be set up to have forwarding to a virtual hosting email account and (and associated) domain I already use.

Conclusion: I did not volunteer to join a proprietary internet when I went online in 1995, quit stomping on my nasturiums and get off my porch.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Update:

Although Google’s security warning, newly added to the now-deprecated/disabled “use less secure apps” option, notes that users of Google Workspace will continue to have access for an unspecified amount of time beyond 30 May 2022, my primary Google email, which is (apparently) a Workspace account, stopped (once more) accepting logins from GyazMail on Monday (6 June).

View attachment 2015476

For now, at least with my main Gmail account, I’ve turned, reluctantly, to the 2-step-generate-app-password workaround suggested by @Wowfunhappy on a related thread over on the Early Intel Macs forum. I have confirmed this method works, with the aforementioned elements which make me reluctantly use it.

Much to my frustration, there remains a few, lesser used email accounts I’ve had around (for even longer than my “main” account), which I have not connected with a second device (i.e., my phone or a physical, proprietary USB security key). Although I vowed earlier in this thread to do so before, the remainder of my gmail accounts will probably be set up to have forwarding to a virtual hosting email account and (and associated) domain I already use.

Conclusion: I did not volunteer to join a proprietary internet when I went online in 1995, quit stomping on my nasturiums and get off my porch.

Fun little update, emphasis on none of these:

I had a couple of lesser-used Gmail accounts dating back to 2004–05 which I created for set purposes. When the big Google changeover happened last June, I didn’t bother with setting up 2FA-to-AppPassword for those email accounts (which until that time had been checked and managed by my long-time email client, GyazMail).

Fast-forward to now.

I tried logging on to one of these lesser-used, set-purpose accounts, via a browser. (Big spam magnet was one of them.) As I never linked it (or the handful of others in the same camp) to other email accounts (these were set up as standalone for a reason; passwords set up for them were long, complex, and not exactly the province of being easily crackable), today I discovered it is impossible to log in to that account via current browser, even factoring the above. B S M was where mailing lists and signing up for services (that is: those expected to sell their customer info) was all routed, so to reduce the amount of, well, spam in my main Gmail inbox I‘ve had since ’04.

As Gmail does not recognize my “device” (an iMac running High Sierra which was used in the not-recent past to log in, albeit from a different IP, as my ISP uses dynamic IPs), I no longer have access to that or to a couple of other email accounts existing with the same standalone conditions which I didn’t update with 2FA immediately after the Google changeover (mostly because doing this for each account was extremely time-consuming; heck, just doing one is time-consuming).

Moral of the story: being the product isn’t worth the hassle through which Google subject their products (i.e., people). It’s mildly enervating and disappointing, and it’s the end of the line for my old standbys. There’s no logging into YT or Drive to retrieve even an archive. Es todo. The end.

Last edited:

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
There’s no logging into YT or Drive to retrieve even an archive. Es todo. The end.
As of now, OneDrive is still accessible and usable on Interweb and Safari. Who know for how much longer. Microsoft appears to have a big update in store for OneDrive as they convert it to Microsoft 365 branding.

iCloud in a browser works to a degree. At least I can access files on it.

Evernote app works on Leopard.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
As of now, OneDrive is still accessible and usable on Interweb and Safari. Who know for how much longer. Microsoft appears to have a big update in store for OneDrive as they convert it to Microsoft 365 branding.

Fair to know, thanks, although I don’t really use cloud features generally.

As for the above email account, I had one old video clip from 2008 and a handful of obscure music videos on there which would have been nice to retrieve before what I was planning to do next, assuming I could log in: retrieve an archive of email and then shut down the account, since these days I rely on my own hosting service and also protonmail for email (the former works with POP3, no hoop-jumping, and the latter is not Google or Microsoft or Apple or whatever, and it’s situated in Switzerland).

I’m really trying to migrate away from storage-as-a-service and software-as-a-service companies as much as I’m able.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

AdamBuker

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018

What browser do you use for icloud? I can’t get the text and buttons to render properly.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
What browser do you use for icloud? I can’t get the text and buttons to render properly.
It doesn't work perfectly, but either InterWebPPC or Leopard WebKit. I'll test it again to see which one tonight. I couldn't access Notes, Photos, etc. However, I did have access to my drive.

I found that OneDrive works better in Safari than InterWebPPC.

You can also try Evernote. It is a note keeping app that syncs across your devices. I uploaded the Leopard version to Macintosh Garden

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I want to try GyazMail on Leopard PPC. The oldest version I found was 1.65 and that is not PPC compatible. Can someone provide the DMG for the latest PPC-compatible version?

EDIT: I emailed customer support. I'll update if I hear anything back.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
I want to try GyazMail on Leopard PPC. The oldest version I found was 1.65 and that is not PPC compatible. Can someone provide the DMG for the latest PPC-compatible version?

EDIT: I emailed customer support. I'll update if I hear anything back.

Just a heads-up: if you plan to use a Gmail account with GyazMail 1.5.21 (or any GyazMail), you’ll need to set up an app password on Google first, and using POP3/IMAP on Outlook 365 email accounts is, at this time, not possible as those services now require TLS 1.3 (and GyazMail only supports up to TLS 1.2).

Ask me how I’ve learnt this…

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.