Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I just took out my MacBook Pro 17" 2010 few days ago. While I like the large form factor, large screen and the very comfortable keyboard, it cannot connect to an external 4K display. With Intel's new chips, are there Windows PC with a 4K screen that is dead silent?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Hi, I just took out my MacBook Pro 17" 2010 few days ago. While I like the large form factor, large screen and the very comfortable keyboard, it cannot connect to an external 4K display. With Intel's new chips, are there Windows PC with a 4K screen that is dead silent?
If in meaning something akin to a MacBook air with NO Fans then NO.

If you mean mostly silent even when fans come on unless the device is really being pushed then yes there are a bunch of new high end Intel Ultra laptops hitting the Market.

The HP Spectre 14/16 with Intel Ultra 7 is a good choice.

The Samsung GalaxyBook 4 Pro 360 or Galaxybook 4 Ultra 360 would also be excellent choices. I think the Ultra has 4k and the Pro has 3k or a little higher all on dynamic 120hz 2x Amoled display with Anti reflective coating and scratch resistant touch screen. It is literally the best laptop screen on the market and bests MBP miniled in everything but brightness. The screen is also gaming certified with a high response time unlike the MBP miniled with 20ms response. Also the 16" weighs less than 4lb closer to the weight of a 14" laptop in a 16" format. The device is very well made and designed. I think as someone who is used to the very good industrial design of Mac's would appreciate all the little design details Samsung has done with this laptop.

There are a ton of other laptops from Dell and Lenovo like the 9i, XPS, etc. But I would personally recommend the Samsung GalaxyBook 4 Pro 360. If Microsoft Surface line had updated internals and a design refresh I would have recommended it instead as the Surface experience most closely resembles Apple but Samsung is kind of the opposite approach with apps but hardware wise they are the best of the Windows world.

As a side note you can recover your laptop like you can with a Mac using recovery software and it is very fast. HP doesn't offer this. You have to buy a usb stick and hope they put the right laptop OS on there. One of my sticking points with Windows is I need to be able to completely wipe and re-install from time to time and in case of emergencies. If I can't do it for free it is a knock off in my opinion.

To specifically answer your question I have used Ultra 7 laptops with decent cooling and they can run silent most of the time. Much improved over past generations of Intel. But if you push em they are going to run hot and need the fans. You just have to push a lot harder than in the past. Battery life is better too. Not m series but with EVO certification you are getting a solid 8-10 hours of SOT generally and can get a lot more depending on settings and behavior. Again depending on settings you can get the same performance on battery as off.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Before the pandemic, I tried several Lenovo laptops but all of their fans got suddenly kicked in for no reason even I left the computers alone with no applications running. They were just running whatever jobs the OS created. Haven't tried any Windows laptop since then.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
As a side note you can recover your laptop like you can with a Mac using recovery software and it is very fast. HP doesn't offer this. You have to buy a usb stick and hope they put the right laptop OS on there. One of my sticking points with Windows is I need to be able to completely wipe and re-install from time to time and in case of emergencies. If I can't do it for free it is a knock off in my opinion.
I think you find you can use the old windows legacy backup and restore that is still there to do this :)

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Before the pandemic, I tried several Lenovo laptops but all of their fans got suddenly kicked in for no reason even I left the computers alone with no applications running. They were just running whatever jobs the OS created. Haven't tried any Windows laptop since then.

Tech changes so fast if you try something one year and don't like it, odds are the next model could improve what you didn't like. Obviously Intel chips have run hot for a while and need active cooling most of the time.

The new Intel Ultra chips are designed on Intel's 7nm process and TSMC 5nm process depending on the part. They are much more efficient but still need active cooling when pushed but better fans that are more silent can run at lower rpm now and still cool. So the result is even when the fans are on you can barely hear them. Much better battery life and very good performance. NO, they don't match m series on efficiency or raw power but they are competitive enough to be in the ball park of m series. In some ways the Ultra is better than m3 in GPU and multi core but not single core nor efficiency. But it is good.

Look at a new Samsung GalaxyBook 4 Pro or Pro 360. Nice devices. A little expensive but they will go on sale. Or Spectre line for 2024 is also really good.

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.