Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
So far, what is the general consenus on running Asahi Fedora Linux on Mac silicon?

Pros and cons? Or is it something folks do, just because they can and for no other reason?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I mean. The pros and cons of running asahi

Pros:
You get to run a Linux distribution

Con:
You’re not running macOS.

Pros and cons of not running asahi

Pros:
You run macOS

Cons:
You are not running a Linux distribution.

It’s mostly down to preference but also of course software availability if you need something only on one platform

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
Why was tis moved to that other thread? Has NOTHING to do with Windows....

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Why was tis moved to that other thread? Has NOTHING to do with Windows....
You placed it in iOS alternatives before. It has nothing to do with iOS either.

1714918475350.png

Explicitly is about Linux, macOS and other operating systems running on Macs.

iOS and its elk run on phones. Asahi Linux runs on the Mac. This forum is the appropriate one

ThrawnTHX

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Asahi can be fun to play with but I wouldn’t use it as a daily driver yet until its feature set makes use of everything the hardware has to offer. The main problem with Asahi is that it replaces the OS on fairly current hardware in turn removing interoperability with iPhones and such. Coming from someone that loves Linux (Fedora & Nobara).

if you want to run Linux, I’d recommend Thinkpads. They’re high quality, have a good warranty, and Linux can make use of everything the hardware has to offer.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
So far, what is the general consenus on running Asahi Fedora Linux on Mac silicon?

Pros and cons? Or is it something folks do, just because they can and for no other reason?
If I could get Citrix Workspace running, there's a good chance I'd use it WAY more than I do. I've also not really tested Audio Recording software like Audacious or others, as I like Logic Pro. But FWIW I do enjoy listening to music more while I'm booted into Linux as opposed to macOS? I've been following along with the Asahi folks as they've been troubleshooting issues, and it seems like they've been able to unlock more of what the hardware can do than what macOS allows. Picture rooting an Android Phone so you can screw around with it, but it's a MacBook Pro running Linux (that still dual boots to macOS).

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
One interesting benefit would be if it eventually allowed better game performance through Proton + Steam than OS-X. Not sure how technically possible that is though.

On intel linux you can use this

Yes, that was my thinking....lot more games available via Proton than native macOS, and my experience with Codeweavers Crossover has been poor to date....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.