Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
Misplaced Tree

Hey, this is my first post to the photography forum...just received my camera in the mail yesterday morning! (thanks budugu) I've really been wanting to get into photography for a long time, so I figured that I might as well start posting here to stir my interest and learn a thing or two.

So then, here's my submission! (assuming I properly attached the file...never done this before)

My friends and I walked past this several times each day for about four months before noticing the big, naked monster-of-a-tree growing in the middle of our parking lot. I'm still taken aback every time I see it. It's just not right... :p

Mind you, it does look much prettier in our Canadian summers.

Attachments

• misplacedtree.jpg
    misplacedtree.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 167

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
elfin buddy said:
Hey, this is my first post to the photography forum...just received my camera in the mail yesterday morning! (thanks budugu) I've really been wanting to get into photography for a long time, so I figured that I might as well start posting here to stir my interest and learn a thing or two.

So then, here's my submission! (assuming I properly attached the file...never done this before)

My friends and I walked past this several times each day for about four months before noticing the big, naked monster-of-a-tree growing in the middle of our parking lot. I'm still taken aback every time I see it. It's just not right... :p

Mind you, it does look much prettier in our Canadian summers.

I like the red building / tree / sky combination - it's interesting to look at. As for the tree itself - that's the sort of thing just waiting for a strong wind to cause some storm damage if that building isn't moved... :)

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
re: misplaced tree

elfin buddy, I love this. It would be stellar without the cars complicating the image (or maybe just a couple less cars). I like how the buildings frame the sky which is further broken up by the top of the tree. The directional cues from the windows, bricks, and foreground (curved path) are just lovely. Overall asymmetrical, but the tree brings everything solidly back to the center. Just a lot of things are working for me in this shot. My eye is definitely engaged all over the place. It pleases my borderline-ADD occipital lobe. Thank you for posting it. =)

Hopefully now that the weather is a little dryer, I can venture out later today and take some shots of my own to contribute. I think I have a couple days before the rain returns.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
not really unexpected but definately nature

please comment on composition and how to set up lighting if you want to take pics from stuff in a glass. i found it quite difficult to decide what's the best angle and where the light should come from.

Attachments

• ass3-mold.gif
    ass3-mold.gif
    150.6 KB · Views: 212

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
Orlando Furioso and law guy,

Thanks for your comments! It's encouraging to know that there are people out there who appreciate some of my pictures :)

I also think it would have been nicer to have fewer cars, though cars are still necessary to communicate the point that the tree is in a parking lot. I'm always looking to get better at shooting, so any other suggestions that anyone might have are entirely welcome!

andiwm2003,

I love that picture you posted! I was actually considering taking pictures of mouldy food, but I figured that it would take too long to get something to grow mould. What sort of drink was that, anyway?

I'm no expert, but I'm pleased with the lighting you chose for your picture. I would think it's more a matter of personal preference. But hey, what do I know? ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
elfin buddy said:
I love that picture you posted! I was actually considering taking pictures of mouldy food, but I figured that it would take too long to get something to grow mould. What sort of drink was that, anyway?

Yeah, so was I, although unlike elfin buddy, I'd have no trouble getting food to mould. :p

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
andiwm2003 said:
please comment on composition and how to set up lighting if you want to take pics from stuff in a glass. i found it quite difficult to decide what's the best angle and where the light should come from.

Interesting picture.
One tip is to use some sort of backlighting to bring more "life" to the liquid

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
andiwm2003 said:

I hope you don't mind ... i liked your image. :cool:

Since you asked about composition; i cropped your image slightly to abstract the glass a bit. I also messed with the levels/curves/color and added softening layer. Abstracting the image lent it to be interesting to my eye. :)

peace | neut

Attachments

• moldy-beer.jpg
    moldy-beer.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 160

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
neut said:
I hope you don't mind ... i liked your image. :cool:

Since you asked about composition; i cropped your image slightly to abstract the glass a bit. I also messed with the levels/curves/color and added softening layer. Abstracting the image lent it to be interesting to my eye. :)

peace | neut

thanks, looks much better that way!

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
It's not exactly sand ... is it?

Attached is the treated image, a sampled version of the RAW, and a screen of the camera settings for those who care. This is my daughters space-age ant farm; the blue/clear junk is their food and home. They took to it overnight.

Lighting provided by Maglite™.

peace | neut

*These look way too black and lose detail on my CRTs (Viewsonic) at work; best viewed on LCDs.

Attachments

• Assign3.jpg
    Assign3.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Assing3_RAW.jpg
    Assing3_RAW.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 192
  • capturedata78.gif
    capturedata78.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 160

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Oooh, nice photos.

neut said:
best viewed on LCDs.

Is that possible? CRTs are usually great when it comes to displaying photos accurately. Its not your CRTs that are too dark. Chances are that your LCDs are too bright and not showing things dark enough, making normal photos seem brighter than they should be. My Dell LCD at uni does this --- too bright and oversaturated. My 12" PB's LCD is generally too dark and all the colours are too dull, so if I ever edit my photos, I just make all my photos look dull and dark so that when viewed on a good monitor, the colour saturation and everything looks great! :p
If I edit things to look perfect on my PB, they look way too bright and oversaturated on my Dell at Uni. I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Abstract said:
CRTs are usually great when it comes to displaying photos accurately. Its not your CRTs that are too dark. Chances are that your LCDs are too bright and not showing things dark enough, making normal photos seem brighter than they should be. My Dell LCD at uni does this --- too bright and oversaturated. My 12" PB's LCD is generally too dark and all the colours are too dull, so if I ever edit my photos, I just make all my photos look dull and dark so that when viewed on a good monitor, the colour saturation and everything looks great! :p
If I edit things to look perfect on my PB, they look way too bright and oversaturated on my Dell at Uni. I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere.

I worked with this image on my Apple LCD and Dell LCD. I fixed my ViewSonics so they display a bit better (i had the brightess turned down too far) and they look pretty good using gaphics or video mode. They're nowhere near calibrated correctly though. :mad: The Dell is far too bright and i lose subtle detail. The Apple looks good though; especially the color.

Yellow - That's a nice little area you've found ... too bad it's trapped between roads. :rolleyes: Fits the assignment though. :p

peace | neut

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Well I know that this is all supposed to be taken this month and that it should be a picture but I have a 4 second movie clip that fits just two perfectly. This was taken inside the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport terminal.

I do actually have a still of it but I had zoomed in and don't have a steady hand so all you see is a blob.

And great photos everyone.

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
IMG_8640.jpg

Penguin in the Galapagos

This shot was taken in the Galapagos which is on the equator. Therefore its kinda odd for penguins to live in such a climate.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Shoot.. I keep seeing good shots and not being able to take them.

The other day.. wild turkey standing at the edge of an intersection along a 4 lane 45MPH motorway. She was standing at the corner near a gas station at the edge of town. If I had 1) had a camera and 2) been able to stop, I would have had a shot of a wild turkey with Exxon gas pumps behind her. :cool:

And then just on Friday, though I started carrying my camera because of the above, I saw a beautiful hawk sitting on a powerline. Just couldn't get a god shot with the P&S. And the hawk finally got tired of the paparazzi and took off. <snap fingers>

The turkey would have been cool.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i have already a pic in here. but the other idea i had was to let a potato grow out some "off shoots" (or whatever you call them here) in the fridge and take the picture. this could be a very interesting and challenging task with lighting and composition. well there are a few days left.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.