Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Choose the theme for assignment 3

• People

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Movement

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Noise/Sounds

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Nature in unexpected places

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Transitions

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Energy

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Warmth

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Colour - one from the old skool Apple logo

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Alphabet - from nature/architecture

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Busy

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Liquid

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Annoyance

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Vote here for what you'd like assignment 3 to be. We'll tally up the votes on 7 March which will give us all 3 1/2 weeks to take the pictures.

There were lots of suggestions. Perhaps we should automatically carry over the second and third suggestions to next month's polls if it's close?

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Waow, that's a lot of options. :eek: :)

Nice to see these assignments talking off. I hope I'll have time to participate in this one. With 3 1/2 weeks, it should be easier. :cool:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Clix Pix said:
Yes, it would make sense to carry over the second and third suggestions to next month...

Or carry most of them over to next month, but drop the bottom 3 and have 3 new suggestions next time. All ideas are still usable eventually.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
How about carry forward the top 2 or 3 but then the rest of the suggestions have to be new (or at least a month old) so that we don't end up with an ever-growing or incredibly similar poll each month? I suspect that ideally, we'd only want 5-8 options?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Abstract said:
Oh man, "liquid" might win. I just posted a thread with so many photos of liquid......all taken yesterday. Perfect timing. :eek:

Right now "Transitions" is in the lead...

Also, if you shot the images yesterday, even if "liquid" does turn out to be this challenge's topic, they wouldn't qualify because they would have been taken prior to the beginning of the assignment.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
I think we should have two polls per assignment; one between all the options (like now), and then another between the two most voted ones (unless one has a clear advantage, like absolute majority). The poll time should be less though, so we don't spend a couple of weeks just deciding... I'm also for automatically moving the second, third and fourth most voted options to the next assignment's poll, and ban the rest for a month.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
We've got another couple of days though for people to vote - if it's still a tie, then I'll set up a quick 24-hour tiebreaker.

I think the ideal would be to have fewer options but I felt it was a little mean for me to pick and choose the first time round! But let's hope that not allowing repeats should slow down some of the ideas next time round.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Abstract said:
Oh man, "liquid" might win. I just posted a thread with so many photos of liquid......all taken yesterday. Perfect timing. :eek:

I think shorelines make a great "transition" subject. I'm guessing the shore isn't going anywhere too fast so you can always go back.

Nice photo's by the way.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Applespider said:
We've got another couple of days though for people to vote - if it's still a tie, then I'll set up a quick 24-hour tiebreaker.

I think the ideal would be to have fewer options but I felt it was a little mean for me to pick and choose the first time round! But let's hope that not allowing repeats should slow down some of the ideas next time round.

In future, why don't we just pick the first 5 suggestions from the thread?

L

Lau

Maybe we could have a vote to narrow down the selections to a manageable size of list that we could then vote on.

:p

I agree the list is a little cumbersome, but I think I'd rather that than be stuck with a few really poor choices just because they were posted first. I suppose we can see how it goes. If a clear winner (or two) emerges in the next couple of days it's all good as far as I'm concerned. The less well recieved ideas just won't get any votes. S'like natural selection, innit. :D

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Lau said:
Maybe we could have a vote to narrow down the selections to a manageable size of list that we could then vote on.

That's what I'm saying: let's vote on all the options, and then vote again on the most popular two. I think it's the best way to decide between many options, and pick the one the most people are comfortable with...

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Let's vote on how to vote for assignments. If people disagree on this, I then suggest we vote to found out if we vote on how to vote for assignments or not. :rolleyes:

:p :p :D

Seriously, I think we need to keep this as simple as possible, so more people participate and so that people with busy schedules can too. :)

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
:D :p :eek:

You're right, things should be kept simple; but it looks like we're going to get a tie anyway... So I don't see why we can't make a system that will take care of that.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Not that I'll be taking part, but noises and sounds!

I want to see the beautiful silence of implicit sound ...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Linkjeniero said:
That's what I'm saying: let's vote on all the options, and then vote again on the most popular two. I think it's the best way to decide between many options, and pick the one the most people are comfortable with...

I think that complexity and redundancy will make this fun little task "Not so fun."

Give everyone the ability to vote for 2 different topics, and be done with it. It'll get the number of votes up, and that way the list will "seem" smaller, since you can make twice as many choices.

And at the time of my post, "NATURE IN UNEXPECTED PLACES" is numero uno in the polls, so no tie break necessary!!

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Abstract said:
Give everyone the ability to vote for 2 different topics, and be done with it. It'll get the number of votes up, and that way the list will "seem" smaller, since you can make twice as many choices.

I'm not so sure you can limit to two - I know there's an option for multiple choice - I'm not sure you can limit the multiples though

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Darn it, I just tried and failed. You can do it in other boards though, which is why I suggested it.

Other option is to make the voting publicly visible (this IS an available option) so that we can see how people voted, and if someone votes for more than 2 options, their votes aren't included. This does require that we use the honour system, but since we can see how each person voted, I guess it isn't really. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.