Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Choose the theme for assignment 4

• Emotion

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Insanity of Humanity

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Liquid

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Metal

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Red

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Song/Album Titles

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Strangers

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Transtions

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Vote here for what you'd like Assignment 4 to be. Please only vote if you intend to take part in the challenge.

Let's vote by Sunday 9 April and announce the winner on Monday 10 - that still gives nearly 3 weeks to take the pictures.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Slightly miffed that 'Apples and Macs' didn't make it...Hopefully emotion will get chosen and I can photograph my reaction to its exclusion. :eek:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I hope that (1) if people vote for a topic that they really intend to get the camera out and shoot a photo to match it; and (2) that people really think about a topic and try and envision how it could be created into a photograph. IMO some of this month's suggestions are a bit "iffy" in that regard. Let's not get into the same situation we did last month.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Clix Pix said:
I hope that (1) if people vote for a topic that they really intend to get the camera out and shoot a photo to match it; and (2) that people really think about a topic and try and envision how it could be created into a photograph. IMO some of this month's suggestions are a bit "iffy" in that regard. Let's not get into the same situation we did last month.
Of the four current front runners, I have very clear ideas for two of them (and unsurprisingly, one of those is my suggestion. :D) Emotion and Metal might be a bit harder ... although thinking about it a bit, I might have a good idea for the latter. I'll see what happens when the poll closes.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
I'm sorry, I hate to do this but please don't vote for metal, I have no idea what I will take a picture of for that because its boring - im sick of seeing still life images, choose something else, emotion or insanity of humanity where heaven forbid we could take some pictures with people in - </plead>

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
tektonnic said:
I'm sorry, I hate to do this but please don't vote for metal, I have no idea what I will take a picture of for that because its boring - im sick of seeing still life images, choose something else, emotion or insanity of humanity where heaven forbid we could take some pictures with people in - </plead>

"Insanity of humanity" has a nice ring when written down but when you actually go out with a camera in hand, just how easy will this be to shoot and depict? Think about that for a moment....

Heh, with metal you can still include people -- how about, say, metal braces on someone's teeth?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
insanity of humanity, liquid or metal are the front runners.

at this point i'm already looking for someone drinking liquid metal..........

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
This doesn't look good... It's last month all over again :( :mad: . Everyone who's not gonna post a picture is voting for "insanity of humanity", because sure, it sounds the coolest, all poetic... and then we get like 10 pics because nobody knows what to shoot... maybe for the next poll we should limit the options to one word?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Linkjeniero said:
maybe for the next poll we should limit the options to one word?

Yeah... now there's an idea (perhaps 2 if we are having doubts)

I did wonder about the wisdom of putting Insanity of Humanity in since the person with the original suggestion hadn't given any clues as to what it might contain. But since no-one had really expressed doubts (unlike the Macs one), I figured that I couldn't make that arbitrary decision and left it in.

L

Lau

Heh heh - I hereby submit my assignment for "Insanity of Humanity" :

:p

It is a tough one, I agree. I think the difficulty is the same as the last one - it's not a bad topic as such, but it relies quite heavily on you having the lucky break or the surroundings to capture it. Some of the more open one word topics like "Metal", "Liquid" or "Strangers" can be applied to still life, portraits or a situation you were lucky enough to find yourself in.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
The other alternative is that we make it a public poll (so that you can see who voted for each topic) and it all the votes have come from those who have never commented in a photography thread or put in a picture, we can disregard them?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, these are too hard to shoot, and I'm not saying that because I'm lazy. I probably won't participate if Insanity of Humanity wins, but since I don't know for certain if it will, I'm certainly allowed to vote. :p

Insanity of Humanity and Metal are too difficult to make interesting. Sure someone might get a photo for "metal" and submit it, but many won't be interesting. Insanity of Humanity sounds great......until you go out with a camera and try it out.

Strangers, liquid, emotion, and Song/Album titles are easiest to shoot for. I voted for Strangers, but instead of doing this, just make the vote public from now on, and if we see names up on the voting list who obviously never participated by submitting photos or commenting on photos that other people had submitted, then we castrate him/her.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Abstract said:
....................... then we castrate him/her.

there you have your picture for Insanity of Humanity.

I have no Idea yet as what to shoot. I voted for Metal because I had some Ideas.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Unless there happened to be just the right circumstances, finding and shooting "insanity of humanity" just isn't going to work. I vote that we kick that one out of the voting altogether and concentrate on the other topics. We may have to re-vote.... Also, I do like the idea of showing just who is voting for what. I suspect that many who are voting for these topics have little or no intention of actually participating. Last month's vote results and subsequent images were disappointing. Let's not repeat that experience again.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Applespider said:
The other alternative is that we make it a public poll (so that you can see who voted for each topic) and it all the votes have come from those who have never commented in a photography thread or put in a picture, we can disregard them?

Yeah, let's do that...

Clix Pix said:
I vote that we kick that one out of the voting altogether and concentrate on the other topics.

Let's do that too.

Also, I wouldn't feel too bad if you had the power to ban a topic you think it's too hard, or if someone suggests it, for the sake of simplicity. I know, antidemocratic, but... since when forums are democratic? :eek:

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
I think it's too late to change the rules for this one since it would end up knocking half a week off the shooting time. And since I don't believe we can change rules midway through a process... otherwise what happens in future?

If there are objections to a suggestion, then they need to be raised in the 'think of ideas' thread before they go forward to the votes (as the Mac one was)

We'll make it a public vote next time and see if that helps. Despite the odd title, I do think this one should be easier than the nature one, since although the concept of nature is fairly fixed, people do have different viewpoints of what constitutes insanity (heck, if you could find someone smiling at a PC screen, you could enter it) ;)

cxk6111

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Another newbie question

Blong said:
OK - new here. Looks interesting. Can anyone play? What size images are preferred? Any other rules I need to know about?

Cool.

Rob

One more question I'd like to add. Does it have to be an outdoor shot? Everyone talks about taking their camera out with them but as a single parent of three youngsters, an indoor setup would give me a much higher chance of creating a photo of at least minimal interest.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Blong said:
OK - new here. Looks interesting. Can anyone play? What size images are preferred? Any other rules I need to know about?
Rob

Anyone can put their pictures, but please vote in the poll only if you intend to participate (and pick a sensible topic, PLEASE! :p ;) ).
I suppose the pictures can be of any size, but if they're too big you could put a reduced version in the page, with a link to the full size pic. Other rules: you have to take the picture yourself, within the time limits.

cxk6111 said:
Does it have to be an outdoor shot?

No; you can take it wherever you want, as long as it's on-topic.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Applespider said:
I think it's too late to change the rules for this one since it would end up knocking half a week off the shooting time. And since I don't believe we can change rules midway through a process... otherwise what happens in future?

If there are objections to a suggestion, then they need to be raised in the 'think of ideas' thread before they go forward to the votes (as the Mac one was)

We'll make it a public vote next time and see if that helps. Despite the odd title, I do think this one should be easier than the nature one, since although the concept of nature is fairly fixed, people do have different viewpoints of what constitutes insanity (heck, if you could find someone smiling at a PC screen, you could enter it) ;)

My thoughts are that any "theme" for assignments needs to be made 7-14 days before the start of the "assignment". Having community input may be nice, it causes delays. And may give benefit to those that vote on particular themes.

Maybe we could ask the mods here to state a theme for us to contribute to. With at least a 14 day window to the start of the "theme".

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Ooh ooh ohh....someone else vote for 'metal'!

I love photographing industrial/rusted out/twisted metal type stuff. :cool:

Some of my favorite photos.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Applespider said:

I agree 100%.

I have rethought this one, and we really can't change the rules DURING a vote, nor should we eliminate one of the choices just because we don't like it. Next time, when we make suggestions for topics, someone should post a summary of topics that WILL be put up for voting.

Also, "Insanity of Humanity" isn't as hard as the last topic, so it should be ok. There's lots of things that people do that I never understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.