Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Augusts's assignment is Buldings/Urban. The idea is that members will go out and try to find their own way of interpreting the monthly theme thus improving their photographic eye. Posting is open to all MR members, and encouraged.

You must have taken the picture yourself between 7 and 31 August 2006. If you took a picture that fits the assignment but was taken earlier, then post it in the Gallery: Buildings/Urban thread instead.

Anyone can enter from those with (D)SLRs from P&S to cameraphones although they should be pictures that you think are good rather than just snapshots. The goal is not to 'win' but to share the enjoyment of taking pictures and learn from others.

Some basic rules on commenting (basically be nice!) are listed. Changes to the rules should be discussed there just as remarks about the topic(s) chosen should be kept in the poll thread. Let's keep this thread just pictures and comments on them if possible

Post your pictures in this thread by the end of August with a title and we'll start commenting (make sure you title your comments referencing the pic you are commenting on)

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
EXIF

Camera Sony DSLR-A100
Aperture f20
Shutter Speed1/25
Focal Length 42mm
ISO 100
Metering Mode 2
Lens 35 -70 mm

Altered the Image size and the quality when saving the image.

Attachments

• urban 1.jpg
    urban 1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 266

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
simie said:
EXIF

Camera Sony DSLR-A100
Aperture f20
Shutter Speed1/25
Focal Length 42mm
ISO 100
Metering Mode 2
Lens 35 -70 mm

Altered the Image size and the quality when saving the image.

Great shot, though it seems to have some post processing qualities to it. Surprised if this is the way it came out of camera. It has a certain HDR quality to it.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Chip NoVaMac said:
Great shot, though it seems to have some post processing qualities to it. Surprised if this is the way it came out of camera. It has a certain HDR quality to it.

Thanks for the comments - This is the original image - I have altered the image size and then altered the quality of the jpeg when exporting it in Photoshop CS2.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
While there's still few posts in here, I'm taking the opportunity to encourage everyone who posts a picture here to also take the time to comment on several others'.

Well, I suppose anyone could comment, but those who participate should feel particularly obliged to help others learn and improve, and if everyone takes care to give nice and constructive feedback to others, we should all get more feedback to help us.

Now... to come up with something interesting and urban...... and some good comments for others...

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
it was taken at that hight. i couldnt get closer because its grounds are shut at that time of night, and i couldnt go further back or id be standing in the middle of a road, and it was too dark for the zoom & af to work properly together

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Here is another photo taken with the same camera and lens. The photo was lightened to show up the buildings in the background and make the brighter, I did this in Aperture, then open up the image in Photoshop CS 2 and use the Lens correction tool to eliminate some folk on the edge of the picture and lastly I cropped the image.

Attachments

• DSC09289.jpg
    DSC09289.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 246

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Urban Photographer

urban.jpg

I was going for a walk with my camera when I suddenly spotted a fellow photographer taking an urban photo.

Canon PowerShot S3 IS
1/1600 @ f5.0
30mm
The ISO was set to 400 because once again I had forgotten to turn this down from some previous shots. The graininess is quite apparent on the full size image. Cropped in iPhoto, increased contrast and saturation slightly in Photoshop.

MatthiasC

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2006
Kent, England
gekko513 said:
I was going for a walk with my camera when I suddenly spotted a fellow photographer taking an urban photo.

Canon PowerShot S3 IS
1/1600 @ f5.0
30mm
The ISO was set to 400 because once again I had forgotten to turn this down from some previous shots. The graininess is quite apparent on the full size image. Cropped in iPhoto, increased contrast and saturation slightly in Photoshop.
I love this photo! I think the saturation is spot on! The colours are bright enough so the graffiti stands out, but they still retain a sort of gritty, earthy feel to them, or at least that's what I reckon anyway! :D

What were you standing on to get the shot from that perspective?

MatthiasC

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2006
Kent, England
Chipped Bricks

Well here's mine, it's my first time doing one of these assignment things so apologies if I've got anything wrong. I'll almost put money on the image not displaying properly in the post, but anyway here goes! :D

Fujifilm S5600
1/400
f5.0
ISO 800

Fiddled with the contrast and made the corners and edges a touch darker. I also added a sepia filter and sharpened the whole thing up a bit in Photoshop.

Attachments

• bricks.jpg
    bricks.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 187

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Thanks for the nice comments MatthiasC. I was standing on a small grass hill that separated the road he's standing on from the road I was walking on.

I think yours is a great picture. You've done something that I'm rarely able to do myself, and that's taking something very normal and everyday and capture it in an interesting perspective. The details in the textures are very sharp and I think the colour job you've done with the sepia and the darkened corners and edges together with the chipped brick sets a kind of dark, run down and depressed mood. I could easily see this as part of a greater work on the hardship of urban living or something like that.

I think you've done the posting right, except that you haven't given a title that we can refer to when commenting, and neither has simie, so I just have to say that I'm now commenting on simie's second picture.

I really like the reflection in the building and the blue, distorted effect it gives on what it reflects. It's very cool that it reflects a, hm, what's the English word for that, it's called a Parisian wheel in Norwegian. Anyway it's even more cool that it reflects the wheel from two different perspectives along the wall. Apart from the cool blue reflection, what almost immediately catched my eye because they were in such contrast to the blue was the red and yellow of the flower bed and sign in the bottom right corner. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, because they're located so far out in the picture. While pondering this I found that in the bottom right the protruding roof and the mirroring wall sort of frames a picture in the picture. The inner picture is busy with everyday life, while the big picture is more abstract. It's interesting, but I think it jars a little because the inner picture attracts a bit too much attention while being too small, out of focus and located too far out in the frame.

I'm just a beginner, so take my comments for what they're worth.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Gekko, I really like that shot. Where was it taken? It looks so un-Oslo...:confused:

And I love the picture reflecting the Ferris wheel, simie. :) What exactly does the lens correction tool do?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Thanks, annk. I don't know how well you know the area, but it was taken at the dam right above Bekkedalen in Bjerke. The funny thing is that everything surrounding the frame of the picture looked far from urban: trees, water and grass. The building in the picture is just a tiny concrete cube that I guess has something to do with the maintenance of the electricity and mechanics of the dam.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
gekko513 said:
urban.jpg

Canon PowerShot S3 IS
1/1600 @ f5.0
30mm

Thats a great picture. I like the way you have to look close to spot the door middle of the picture underneath all the urban art.

MatthiasC

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2006
Kent, England
gekko513 said:
I think yours is a great picture. You've done something that I'm rarely able to do myself, and that's taking something very normal and everyday and capture it in an interesting perspective. The details in the textures are very sharp and I think the colour job you've done with the sepia and the darkened corners and edges together with the chipped brick sets a kind of dark, run down and depressed mood. I could easily see this as part of a greater work on the hardship of urban living or something like that.

I think you've done the posting right, except that you haven't given a title that we can refer to when commenting

Thank you, that was exactly the mood I was trying to get across so it's great you got that from it! Cheers. :)

Oh and I've added a little name for my picture now, I knew I'd do something wrong! he he. :D

simie said:
I like the way you have to look close to spot the door middle of the picture underneath all the urban art.
I second that. I hadn't noticed that until just then.

theenigmat

macrumors member
May 10, 2006
Frank Lloyd Wright

Hi! I have posted on here once before. I go to Florida Southern College which happens to have the single largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright structures in the world. This was a shot I just got tonight of the Annie Pfieffer Chapel.

EXIF:

Camera: Canon PowerShot A620
Aperture: f3.5
Shutter: 1/60
Focal Length: 12.6mm??? (Seems WAY too short)
ISO 100

Attachments

• AP_Chapel_1.JPG
    AP_Chapel_1.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 184

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
There are some really nice entries in this assignment. Gekko, yours is my favourite so far. I really like the contrast in colours between the Graffiti and everything else.

Nice capture theenigmat, it looks like the rocket-shaped building is about to take off into the hole in the clouds.:)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Wow, cookie, that's a beautiful shot (Copenhagen Opera House). How much colour editing have you done on it? The colours are amazing.

Also, thanks for your comments on the "Urban Photographer" shot.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Thanks, it's always nice to get some encouragement. It's been something that I have wanted to shoot for months now. I have just never gotten round to it.

Not a lot of post-processing. A slight white balance correction, Levels + curves, Unsharp Mask, Resize for web

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Yes it definitely feels good to get encouragement. Did you edit the levels+curves for the different colour bands separately to make the blue "pop" or wasn't that necessary. I'm eager to learn.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
I only edited levels + curves for rgb, not for the seperate bands. The shot is actually pretty close to how it came off of the camera so it wasn't really necessary.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Grundtvigs Kirke

I know it is not really the done thing, to post more than one entry in a day. But.... I had another keeper out of tonight's shoot. So, I'll post it anyway.

Grundtvigs Kirke; 16/08/06; CPH, DK

ghoul.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.