Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I don't think the "one shot per day" rule applies in this assignment thread. In here, I think the rules are no more than 5 pictures of different subjects per member.

I love the Grundtvigs Kirke shot, too! What time of the day were the two shots taken, and do you mind sharing the EXIF stuff for them? Was the last shot taken with a wide-angle lens of some kind?

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Copenhagen Opera House

350d + 18-55 kit lens
Date 16/08/06
Time 21:42
FL 41mm
ISO 100
Exp. 10s @ f/7

Grundtvigs Kirke

350d + 18-55 kit lens
Date 16/06/06
Time 22:19
FL 22mm
ISO 100
Exp. 30s @ f/9

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Thanks. I'm going to have to experiment with similar shots. Yours really look great.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
cookie1105 said:
Copenhagen Opera House

350d + 18-55 kit lens
Date 16/08/06
Time 21:42
FL 41mm
ISO 100
Exp. 10s @ f/7

Grundtvigs Kirke

350d + 18-55 kit lens
Date 16/06/06
Time 22:19
FL 22mm
ISO 100
Exp. 30s @ f/9

Hey, you can't be taking pictures like that with that (awful) kit lens! : )
Great Pictures

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
cookie1105 said:
Copenhagen Opera House; 16/08/06; CPH, DK

opera.jpg

Love the Scandinavian influence.

Attachments

• P1000185.jpg
    P1000185.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 128

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
cookie1105 said:
I know it is not really the done thing, to post more than one entry in a day. But.... I had another keeper out of tonight's shoot. So, I'll post it anyway.

Grundtvigs Kirke; 16/08/06; CPH, DK

ghoul.jpg

Wow, better than that first one you posted, or at least more interesting to me, IMO. :)

I also like how you easily proved that kit lenses aren't completely useless things you should upgrade immediately. ;)

kodiak

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2005
cookie,
both great shots, particularly like the Grundtvigs Kirke

amazed by the colours, the way the everything is blue (including the road) except on the church - such a great contrast. also like the 'deserted' urban feel.

btw, is it lit like that? or just 'normal' street lighting?

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Thank you, all of you. Everyone gets lucky occasionally;)

Chip NoVaMac said:
Love the Scandinavian influence.

Do you mean simplicity, symmetry and the colours blue & white? It really is a beautiful building. It was finished last year and was a gift to the state from the philanthropist Mærsk Mackinney-Møller (the guy who owns Mærsk shipping lines.)

snap58 said:
Hey, you can't be taking pictures like that with that (awful) kit lens! : )
Great Pictures
Abstract said:
I also like how you easily proved that kit lenses aren't completely useless things you should upgrade immediately.

I like my kit lens. As a beginner lens it is great. It has some problems (colour rendition + barrel distortion) but once stopped down a little bit, it's sharp enough. Until I can afford to upgrade to the 17-40L, I won't be changing it.;)

kodiak said:
amazed by the colours, the way the everything is blue (including the road) except on the church - such a great contrast. also like the 'deserted' urban feel.

btw, is it lit like that? or just 'normal' street lighting?

Cheers, I guess I was just lucky to catch the street deserted. It was only 22:19 after all. It is the normal ambient light. The street is illuminated with white/ blue street lights and the church is illuminated with yellow spots. I white balanced off of the kerbstone in PP which cooled the image down a little bit. But we all know that funky things happen with longer night exposures.:)

xrays

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2005
Toronto, ON
Downtown Toronto at Dusk

Here's my entry for the month... Taken last night from the roof-top of a friend's condo in downtown Toronto, around the time the sun was setting (it was hard to tell exactly, because of the increased fog levels that night). I didn't have a tripod handy, so I was simply resting the camera on a railing. I also had a few shots with 20 second exposures, but this was the most dynamic looking final image. All I did was minor levels adjustments and save for web...

Canon 20D - 18-55 lens @18mm (kit lens)
ISO-100, 1.3sec, f/3.5

I just noticed the comments about the 'kit lens' for cookie1105's photos, and I agree that generally there's nothing wrong with them and you CAN capture some amazing images; but the truth is, having a 17-40L or the newer 16-35 2.8L would have yielded a sharper image, possibly with more contrast as well - the 16-35 will be my next lens.

BTW, cookie1105, I love those two shots you posted, very dynamic... And the one of the city street is amazing, it looks very much like a film set or even a painting.

x.

Attachments

• Toronto-Downtown.jpg
    Toronto-Downtown.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 161

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne night skyline

f/5.6, 17mm, 8 second exposure at ISO 100.

Taken from the rooftop carpark of Doncaster Shoppingtown (18th August, around 7pm), roughly (very roughly) 15 km from the Melbourne CBD. I'm somewhat disappointed with this shot (which is, IMO, the best of the lot; the others are a bit over-exposed, even though the camera thinks this one is underexposed) - I would have done better to take it from a higher point (thereby getting rid of some of the clutter in the foreground), except that the nearest "higher point" is in a building which has an external structure that blocks wide angle shots like this. Grr. (Maybe not so much blocks as impedes - I don't like the thought of a regular grid of white-painted steel across the entire shot. :eek:) Still, it does have something about it nonetheless, so maybe it's just that my standards are getting higher. :D

I tried using the 100-400 zoomed in on the CBD (the taller buildings you can see, about a third of the way in from the left on the horizon), but the tripod I have isn't up to the job of holding that lens steady. Grrr. Damn shame, that. Yes, a new tripod is definitely on the list of things to buy (and pretty high on the list, too; it's probably the next semi-big purchase.)

For best effect, you probably should go to the large image.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
sjl said:

Taken from the rooftop carpark of Doncaster Shoppingtown, roughly (very roughly) 15 km from the Melbourne CBD. I'm somewhat disappointed with this shot (which is, IMO, the best of the lot; the others are a bit over-exposed, even though the camera thinks this one is underexposed) - I would have done better to take it from a higher point (thereby getting rid of some of the clutter in the foreground), except that the nearest "higher point" is in a building which has an external structure that blocks wide angle shots like this. Grr. (Maybe not so much blocks as impedes - I don't like the thought of a regular grid of white-painted steel across the entire shot. :eek:) Still, it does have something about it nonetheless, so maybe it's just that my standards are getting higher. :D

I tried using the 100-400 zoomed in on the CBD (the taller buildings you can see, about a third of the way in from the left on the horizon), but the tripod I have isn't up to the job of holding that lens steady. Grrr. Damn shame, that. Yes, a new tripod is definitely on the list of things to buy (and pretty high on the list, too; it's probably the next semi-big purchase.)

For best effect, you probably should go to the large image.

It looks good to me, I like the way the sky looks with the colors. Maybe try to actually have more foreground and go for a near / far composition (used a lot in landscapes) if you can find the e right foreground. Of course that might be hard to do with a 100 to 400 zoom.

Also post your exposure data if possible.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
snap58 said:
Maybe try to actually have more foreground and go for a near / far composition (used a lot in landscapes) if you can find the e right foreground. Of course that might be hard to do with a 100 to 400 zoom.

Well, this was with the 17-85; the 100-400 was an attempt to go right in on the tall buildings of the CBD which didn't quite pan out as I'd hoped it would.

I do hear your suggestions, and they're good ones; the main hassle is finding a good foreground for the picture. Not sure where I'd go to do so.

Also post your exposure data if possible.
What? It's right there! In my original post! Look! (Ok, so I went back and edited it to add that info. :p)

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
cheers bep207.

Agreed xrays, the 16-35L would be nice, but there is no way that I could justify the extra stop financially. In the distant future it would have to be the 17-40L.

My girlfriend says Grundtvigs Kirke looks like something out of a horror movie:D I really like your picture of the Toronto skyline. I think the pink fog gives it something by leading your eye through the picture. nice.

nice picture sji. Shame about the blurry plant, bottom right. I feel for you on the tripod isssue. Mine is always sagging after adjustment. Maybe I should have followed the advice about getting a good tripod from the beginning:eek:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
trinity church mirrored in hancock tower in boston. unfortunately the sky was too bright when i was there. i'll try that shot again some time.

sony a100
sigma 10-20mm
f 9
1/40 sec
iso 100
pol filter

Attachments

• trinity-hancock.jpg
    trinity-hancock.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 161
L

Lau

andiwm2003 said:
trinity church mirrored in hancock tower in boston. unfortunately the sky was too bright when i was there. i'll try that shot again some time.

I like the juxtaposition of old and new in this. Have you tried burning in the sky a bit in Photoshop? You're right in that it's a little over exposed, but I don't think it would take too much to make it tie in with the sky in the building.

Either way, nice shot though. :)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Lau said:
I like the juxtaposition of old and new in this. Have you tried burning in the sky a bit in Photoshop? You're right in that it's a little over exposed, but I don't think it would take too much to make it tie in with the sky in the building.

Either way, nice shot though. :)

i dind't want to tweak it too much in photoshop. i wanted to stay within photography. but then i was highly tempted to make it a HDR picture from 3 different exposures. but i didn't have a tripod with me.
anyway, i somehow feel that something is missing in this picture. it somehow looks flat and boring. i had hoped that it looks like the tower disappears in the sky. or that there is more contrast between the old organic style of the church and the new tower.
i'll give it another try.

L

Lau

andiwm2003 said:
i dind't want to tweak it too much in photoshop. i wanted to stay within photography. but then i was highly tempted to make it a HDR picture from 3 different exposures. but i didn't have a tripod with me.
anyway, i somehow feel that something is missing in this picture. it somehow looks flat and boring. i had hoped that it looks like the tower disappears in the sky. or that there is more contrast between the old organic style of the church and the new tower.
i'll give it another try.

I know what you mean about Photoshop — I'm not fond of the heavily Photoshopped stuff either. But dodging and burning was done in days of yore ;) with bits of card and wire during the developing process, so I tend to think that isn't 'cheating'. :D

Maybe even lightening the sky more and the top of the building slightly would be enough to send it the other way to have it disappearing into the sky. There's definitely a social comment in there about religion being overshadowed by the big corporations and money paving the way to heaven. Or something. :p

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
my brother's attempt

attachment.php

He took several pictures and spliced them together using Autostitch.
A really good program, if your running windows :eek:. hopefully they come out w/ a mac version though.
If you have access to Windows i highly recommend this program, its quite useful.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 404

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Xander562 said:
my brother's attempt

He took several pictures and spliced them together using

It's a nice picture. But, I am not sure about this. It says in the assignment rules:

3. Members should be the owner of the artwork they submit.

We would have to ask Applespider, but if your brother took the picture, then he is the owner of the artwork and you would not be allowed to post it in the assignment.

But you can tell him it's a nice picture

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
cookie1105 said:
It's a nice picture. But, I am not sure about this. It says in the assignment rules:

We would have to ask Applespider, but if your brother took the picture, then he is the owner of the artwork and you would not be allowed to post it in the assignment.

But you can tell him it's a nice picture
even if i give him credit? it's not like i'm saying here's MY picture that I took MYSELF. i'll edit it if you all want me too.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
I probably overreacted. These are just supposed to be friendly assignments after all.

But I do think the rules are there for a reason. What is the point in having an assignment if you don't go out and shoot it yourself? I see the assignments as a way of giving members the opportunity to go out and shoot a specific subject/theme, which is not the easiest thing at times, and then improve upon their skills by offering the results of their efforts up for critique by their peers.

I know that you credited your brother Xander, but why bother offering work for critique, if it is not your own? If he is a big boy, why doesn't he become a member of MR and actively take part in the assignments. I'm sure that he would be most welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.