Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Suggestions for Assignment 8 should go here... Ideas by Thursday evening - vote by Sunday evening and let's get started.

Urban/Buildings goes in automatically as the runner-up from last month's poll. Other ideas are most welcome but remember - keep them simple! And avoid any others from the Assignment 7 poll!

The previous assignments list (with links to the polls and threads) so you can what we've already had is below.

Previous Assignments
Assignment 1 - Holiday Preparation (multiple threads)
Assignment 2 - Cold
Assignment 3 - Nature in Unexpected Places
Assignment 4 - Insanity of Humanity or Metal
Assignment 5 - Water
Assignment 6 - Contrasts
Assignment 7 - Yellow

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I like the Urban/Buildings idea, but to add something to the choices, my proposal is: Transitions

I think there might be some interesting opportunities for interpretation here. Anyways, just my 2 eurocentimes :)

Looking forward to participating this month ;)

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I dig Urban/Buildings...but that's a partial bias since I feel it would be easier for me. I couldn't muster up anything for Yellow :(

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
It's so weird that I clicked onto this thread and found 'Urban/Buildings' being discussed.

I wish I could take a decent picture as I was just walking around at lunchtime and thinking what an interesting photo this particular building would make...

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Wicked, it's suggestion time again.

But first thank you Applespider for keeping the assignments going. I feel
that there were lots of really good contributions for "Yellow".

I'd really like to shoot "urban/buildings". But then again I have a lot of subjects to choose from here in Copenhagen.

I know I suggested "edible" last month, but I think it would be really interesting to do something with food.
So my suggestion for this month is: "food"

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I'd like to suggest "summer" as a topic.

Many of us around the world are currently enjoying a warmer than average summer and there are so many opportunites to capture this with a camera.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
How about some composition technicals:

Rhythm
Patterns
Lines (my first attempt at typing this had my hand on the wrong keys and I typed lubes which I found a funny enough occurrence to share)
Divine proportions (commonly misinterpreted as the rule of 1/3s)

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Black And White
Lomo-Style
Great Outdoors
Trees (I love taking pictures of trees if you didn't notice :p )
Wierd and Wonderful (Anything that you wouldnt normally snapshot)

Few ideas for you there... :D

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Its got to be :

'out of place' objects/things out of there natrual enviroment.

such as a desk in the woods that kind of jist....

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
unhealthy

that would include food, drugs, sports, pollution of any kind, Windows XP and it would be a bit geared towards people.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I haven't submitted an assignment before (I was always afraid of the DP forum...most of these pictures are so intimidating), but what about:

History
Faith
Great Outdoors (I like Alex's idea) - it is a bit broad (covers almost anything), but so was yellow...

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Guys... remember the Keep it Simple philosophy - when we try to get too clever (Nature in Unexpected Places), we tend to hit problems.

And let's have some thoughts on some of the ideas otherwise we'll end up with a poll of hundreds - and I'd like to keep it to 7 or 8 if possible.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Applespider said:
Guys... remember the Keep it Simple philosophy - when we try to get too clever (Nature in Unexpected Places), we tend to hit problems.

And let's have some thoughts on some of the ideas otherwise we'll end up with a poll of hundreds - and I'd like to keep it to 7 or 8 if possible.

if it's too many suggstions just pick 6 or 7 for the poll. i trust your judgement there. and whatever the outcome it will be fun anyway.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
andiwm2003 said:
unhealthy

that would include food, drugs, sports, pollution of any kind, Windows XP and it would be a bit geared towards people.

I was thinking of "food: regional/seasonal", but for most of the ones that I was thinking of, "unhealthy" can be an apt description!

-hh

Gamey

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2006
Scotland
How about something a little thought provoking?

A fairly wide interpretation on a theme....."on the edge" springs to mind.
Could be anything from a cliff top to a stressed out bussinessman.

Maybe it's time I went to bed:D

John

L

Lau

I like Urban/Buildings and I think Rhythm could be very interesting, although I think people might struggle, and therefore we could get reduced entries.

How about "A Different View"? It could be people, landscape, macro, anything, and could be literally or philosophically interpreted.

And I promise to enter this one, now I'm not up to my eyeballs in work...:eek:

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I know not everyone here is really into macro, but I really like it... maybe something themed towards that? Like "bugs" or "life"?

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
Work

I like to see humanity caputered, in all its facets. And I thought there might be some really cool shots to be taken, so my idea for a theme is WORK. Whatever that means to you. IT could be the construction of a building, a tired bussboy taking a smoke brake, or a still life of a pencils shadow across a clipboard. Heck even capturing someones leisure activity sweating in a garden, or a guide dog waiting at a bus stop. I hope its picked, I cant wait to search.

Oh, and second idea is music... he he nothing realy needs to be said on that one.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Some good suggestions already. I like animals, work and lube, especially. :D

I want to suggest "portraits", because that would force me into asking someone to stand model for me. (I'll probably end up with a self-portrait)

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
gekko513 said:
Some good suggestions already. I like animals, work and lube, especially. :D

I want to suggest "portraits", because that would force me into asking someone to stand model for me. (I'll probably end up with a self-portrait)

I would second that "portraits" as I like shooting people rather than inanimate objects or nature (bugs creep me out).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.