Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
This app is proof that I am not creative enough to make an original concept.

This is sooooo out there that I scratched my head as to how useful could it be worldwide.
I am almost in the same boat.... I used to do more photo editing and drawing at one point, and had a Wacom tablet for that. I don't do enough anymore to warrant a Wacom and I can meet my needs on the Pad, but... this will allow my simple sketching and editing to be done on the larger screen. If the pricing is good, I am in. (I tried the other Astropad apps in the past, but found, for me, just having a Wacom tablet of just using an iPad app for drawing or editing to be a better choice over mirroring the Mac screen to the iPad).

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I was talking about the app.
So I don’t know what you mean then. You said you don’t understand who would want this - anyone that would like their iPad to double as a graphics tablet may want this. We’re all talking about the app - it’s the app that adds the functionality. Forgive me if I’m not understanding your viewpoint…

Reactions: applefan8254

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I'm interested in trying this. It's a pain to swap back and forth between MacOS and iPad. I'd rather work from only one form factor.

That being said, if they could run MacOS on iPad, that would be great. I love my iPad and its versatility, except for all the apps that wont run on it.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Well, will these experiments inspire Apple to develop something supporting touch macOS? Or they will maintain a hard stance on this forever?
What I see is essentially another take on using macOS with some form of touch input, but with focus on creativity.
Given they have no access to Apple’s proprietary protocol to initiate and maintain connection, wireless connection stability will be a concern. I guess they could also support wired connection.
I think rather than getting touch on MacOS, they should get MacOS on iPads.

Reactions: Soi Dog

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
That being said, if they could run MacOS on iPad, that would be great. I love my iPad and its versatility, except for all the apps that wont run on it.

macOS = operating system for Macs.

Desktop operating systems and apps run like doggy poo on tablets. They have a lot more background processes happening compared to software optimized for tablets and their views aren't destroyed from memory when they are not visible.

In theory any desktop app can be ported fully in a wrapper to iPadOS but they run badly in comparison to a laptop or desktop computer.

Software for tablets and also phones has to be optimized, if not then users complain like brats. Just look at how they tried to make 'heatgate' a thing last month.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
So I don’t know what you mean then. You said you don’t understand who would want this - anyone that would like their iPad to double as a graphics tablet may want this. We’re all talking about the app - it’s the app that adds the functionality. Forgive me if I’m not understanding your viewpoint…

Sidecar set to mirroring the Mac already doubles as a graphics tablet. For free.

Astropad's apps are just trying different spins on the same thing.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Sidecar set to mirroring the Mac already doubles as a graphics tablet. For free.

Astropad's apps are just trying different spins on the same thing.
The person I replied appeared to say they didn’t understand the usefulness of it. I was explaining why.

It‘s low on the resources it needs because it’s not trying to mirror the screen, like a solution such as the original Astropad or Sidecar - it’s a blank slate similar to a large portion of normal graphics tablets, available for decades. It’s also free.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
The person I replied appeared to say they didn’t understand the usefulness of it. I was explaining why.

It‘s low on the resources it needs because it’s not trying to mirror the screen, like a solution such as the original Astropad or Sidecar - it’s a blank slate similar to a large portion of normal graphics tablets, available for decades. It’s also free.

It's also on the pointless side. If you want a graphics tablet use a Wacom. They use almost no energy, perform much better, the pen needs no charging and no battery. That will free up your iPad for other things like a secondary screen. A Wacom can be configured to work across multiple displays so you can control your Mac and iPad (set to second display) from it.

There's always the possibility that Apple replaces the Magic Trackpad with an actual pen tablet and also enables pen input on the MacBook Pro trackpad.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
It's also on the pointless side. If you want a graphics tablet use a Wacom. They use almost no energy, perform much better, the pen needs no charging and no battery. That will free up your iPad for other things like a secondary screen. A Wacom can be configured to work across multiple displays so you can control your Mac and iPad (set to second display) from it.

There's always the possibility that Apple replaces the Magic Trackpad with an actual pen tablet and also enables pen input on the MacBook Pro trackpad.
I don’t find them remotely pointless, so each to their own. I ditched my massive and unwieldy Wacom for the iPad and various apps to aid mimicking the Wacom. This will be another useful one for when I need it. Fo my needs its ideal - but I’m not an artist so ymmv. Sidecar, by the way, in comparison with anything mentioned so far, is severely limited free or not.

Reactions: applefan8254

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
This is more or less for the photogs out there. I was just using my IPP alongside my MBP and Lightroom. I mirrored my LR screen to the iPad. I must say while it's usable like that it was also slow and clunky, and, unless I was doing something wrong, I couldn't swipe left to advance the photos to work on them on the iPad. I had to keep going back to the library to get the next photo. That is a huge slowdown. I don't know if an M4 would do better (at least faster).

So, I may try out this app. If anyone has any comparisons or experience to share, I am all ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.