Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I wanted to relate my experience since I had been concerned about transferring the cell service over to the new watch. I did not do anything with the old watch, initially. Just turn the new one on, have the phone scan that code screen and go through the subsequent steps. You’ll be asked about the cell plan, whether to set up a new one or sync the old watch plan to the new watch. I was trading in the old watch so I chose to sync the old plan, it will show you the number associated with that line, you confirm that and it sets it up on the new watch. As others have mentioned if you’re keeping the old watch and want to have cell service on both you can set up a new line on the new watch, but I wasn’t doing that. It automatically shut down the cell service on the old watch just as turning on a new phone does on the old phone.

It all was a smooth process and after I was certain everything was good I unpaired the old watch and packed it up. Some have un-paired the old watch first but if you choose to wait until later you have the time to decide if you want to keep the old one to use as well. Either way it is a pretty simple process, and all health and activity data comes over properly.

JWGold

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
United States
I just did this without any issues. I just added my new Ultra as a second watch. During the synching process it asked me if I wanted to transfer my cell service to my new watch. I said yes. Once completed, the cell service had transferred and taken off my old S7. I left both watches on my iPhone and now I have an S7 and an Ultra synched to my iPhone. Both work great. The Ultra has cell service now. The S7 had cell service before.

Reactions: papbot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.