Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Hey apple friends,

Need advice: currently grandfathered into the att unlimited data. My monthly bill is $97 after taxes and fees. I'm looking for a cheaper monthly option but I'm scared to get rid of my beloved unlimited data. Here's my choices. Help!

Lifestyle: I'm a stay at home mom so Wifi is always on.
Average Monthly Usage:
Data: about 3-4 gigs
Talk: about 200 min
Text: about 300 (non iPhone texts)

Plan Choices:
1. Stay with my current ATT plan: ($89.99+ taxes)
-Grandfathered Unlimited Data, $35
-450 Minutes, $39.99
-1500 text, $15
Pros: data peace of mind.
Cons: expensive, unnecessary?

2. switch to ATT msp advantage: ($60+taxes)
-3 Gig data plan, unlimited talk/text, $40
-smartphone single line, $20
Pros: save 30 bucks per month!, rollover data, no overage fees, unlimited talk/text
Cons: throttled data after 3Gig, I will have to be mindful of when I use data outside of my wifi

3. switch to TMobile One, ($70+taxes)
-unlimited talk/text/data
Pros: save 20 bucks per month, unlimited everything (kind of)
Cons: no HD video included!, possible coverage difference from Att.

Which plan would you go for if you were me? Current ATT plan $89 with grandfathered unlimited, Att 3Gig data plan with unlimited talk/text for $60, or TMobile One plan for $70.

First world problems here haha

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Hey apple friends,

Need advice: currently grandfathered into the att unlimited data. My monthly bill is $97 after taxes and fees. I'm looking for a cheaper monthly option but I'm scared to get rid of my beloved unlimited data. Here's my choices. Help!

Average Monthly Usage:

Plan Choices:
-450 Minutes, $39.99
-1500 text, $15

Pros: save 30 bucks per month!, rollover data, no overage fees, unlimited talk/text
Cons: throttled data after 3Gig, I will have to be mindful of when I use data outside of my wifi

Which plan would you go for if you were me? Current ATT plan $89 with grandfathered unlimited, Att 3Gig data plan with unlimited talk/text for $60, or TMobile One plan for $70.

I have the same grandfathered plan as you do and as soon as I unlock my device I am switching to T-Mobile One. Unlimited everything. I get way more bang for my buck such as having data and international texting. HD video not very important. Quite frankly watching a movie on my iPhone which I would not do but I doubt you could tell much of a difference.

As far as I can tell T-Mobile mirrors AT&T. I have been testing it using my T-Mobile iPad. Never had an issue so far.

If you're getting rid of the grandfathered "deal" I would try a different carrier.

Reactions: Applejuiced

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
If you're already used to the AT&T network but simply want to have an unlimited plan while saving money... why not go with Cricket Wireless, who is owned by AT&T, and their $65/mo (after auto debit) unlimited plan?

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/articles/phone-technology/customer/unlimited-data.html

P.S. taxes and fees are already included in the $65/mo price, so roughly a $32/mo savings from what you're paying now.

Cricket caps data speed at 8 mbps

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014

Dunno why people even bring that up as some sort of counterpoint :confused:

There's nothing a normal person could be doing on their cellphone (outside of torrenting or streaming 4K movies) that would require more than 8mbps.

8mbps will suit everyone, besides the speedtest freaks that want to show off their stats, just fine.

Reactions: NayborAxi

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
If you're already used to the AT&T network but simply want to have an unlimited plan while saving money... why not go with Cricket Wireless, who is owned by AT&T, and their $65/mo (after auto debit) unlimited plan?

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/articles/phone-technology/customer/unlimited-data.html

P.S. taxes and fees are already included in the $65/mo price, so roughly a $32/mo savings from what you're paying now.

Thanks, I'll look into this. I hadn't even considered Cricket tbh but I'll check it out. :)
[doublepost=1473642568][/doublepost]
I have the same grandfathered plan as you do and as soon as I unlock my device I am switching to T-Mobile One. Unlimited everything. I get way more bang for my buck such as having data and international texting. HD video not very important. Quite frankly watching a movie on my iPhone which I would not do but I doubt you could tell much of a difference.

As far as I can tell T-Mobile mirrors AT&T. I have been testing it using my T-Mobile iPad. Never had an issue so far.

If you're getting rid of the grandfathered "deal" I would try a different carrier.

The only worry I have with the HD issue on TMobile One is that I'm an avid YouTube watcher. I adjusted the video quality while at home just now and the quality isn't a major thing, but it's definitely noticeable. Also, streaming Netflix on 480 sucks. Not sure though how much of that I will actually do (outside of my wifi) to be honest. It's just a thought. I just wonder if I will miss it....
[doublepost=1473642642][/doublepost]

I just read that...hmmmm, I wonder how that would affect the average user. I have no clue what kinds of download/upload speeds I use or need
[doublepost=1473642705][/doublepost]
Dunno why people even bring that up as some sort of counterpoint :confused:

There's nothing a normal person could be doing on their cellphone (outside of torrenting or streaming 4K movies) that would require more than 8mbps.

8mbps will suit everyone, besides the speedtest freaks that want to show off their stats, just fine.

That's what I was thinking..:)

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Do you live in a city or rural area? The t-mobile rep on the phone of course told me the coverage in my city is "fantastic!". You never really know until you try it I guess. Luckily with carriers not having contracts, we can try out and switch to anyone we want. Which is great except that in doing so, I lose my grandfathered data unlimited (waaa). Still not sure why that plan is my safety blanket but it's hard to let it go!

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
If you are considering leaving att or the unlimited data, try talking to chat or on the phone first. Ask them if there is anything they can do to help you because your plan is way too expensive so you are thinking of switching to Verizon or TMobile. I said this the other day and they transferred me to the retention department and then offered to give me the 6gb plan for the 3gb price ( they were eager to get me off my unlimited data plan). I declined because I'm too afraid of losing my unlimited data but it might be an option if your interested.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Hey apple friends,

Average Monthly Usage:

Plan Choices:
-450 Minutes, $39.99
-1500 text, $15

As someone that switched from Verizon and ATT, I can tell you that there isn't a $20 difference between the networks for my usage. All networks have issues in various instances. I have gotten data in places my GF's Verizon iPhone does not. If I have issues, I tend to see if she does too and vice versa. The difference is minimal from my usage.

We live in the suburbs outside NYC during the winter and in Southern California for the summers. I was in "farmland" central California every weekend this summer w/ LTE the entire time. T-Mobile's network has really stepped up its game in the past two years.

Last summer we drove to Texas from L.A. and T-Mobile was noticeably worse than either Verizon or ATT. I have a feeling they upgraded their network since that time, but there was a huge difference compared to the two the two top dogs. Other than that isolated incident, I have little problem with T-Mobile service.

NEVER trust T-Mobile phone reps. The customer service is terrible, as it is with all cellular phone support. The reps are usually in a different country and spew out incorrect, incomprehensible information. Do not trust them.

I would pick T-Mobile's unlimited plan. I love the company and how they treat their customers. They are a company that tries to improve your experience, rather than impede it. They are truly changing wireless and I'm glad to be spending my money with a company that really listens to their customers.

Reactions: ray737

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
If you are considering leaving att or the unlimited data, try talking to chat or on the phone first. Ask them if there is anything they can do to help you because your plan is way too expensive so you are thinking of switching to Verizon or TMobile. I said this the other day and they transferred me to the retention department and then offered to give me the 6gb plan for the 3gb price ( they were eager to get me off my unlimited data plan). I declined because I'm too afraid of losing my unlimited data but it might be an option if your interested.

Dang! That's awesome! I would totally do the 6g plan for the 3g price. That would actually work perfectly for me. I did call today and sadly they didn't offer me that :( They did offer me a plan that was supposedly not offered anymore which was the 3g plan with no overage fees and just slower data after 3gigs but I think that's a normal plan lol. She suggested I try it for 30 days (it will save me $30 bucks per month) and if I notice any major slowing they can transfer me back to the grandfathered unlimited plan no problem. I just have to call them on day 29 and switch back. I reluctantly switched thinking if I'd just be more mindful of my data usage outside of wifi I might be ok. Damn, you are lucky you got the 6g plan for the cost of the 3g plan. I would have totally gone for that. I also have a TMobile SIM card coming in a few days preloaded with the One plan that I have the option to switch into but after finding out you can't stream HD, I'm going to return that sim. Not worth it to me. I love my HD option if I need it.
[doublepost=1473653253][/doublepost]
As someone that switched from Verizon and ATT, I can tell you that there isn't a $20 difference between the networks for my usage. All networks have issues in various instances. I have gotten data in places my GF's Verizon iPhone does not. If I have issues, I tend to see if she does too and vice versa. The difference is minimal from my usage.

We live in the suburbs outside NYC during the winter and in Southern California for the summers. I was in "farmland" central California every weekend this summer w/ LTE the entire time. T-Mobile's network has really stepped up its game in the past two years.

Last summer we drove to Texas from L.A. and T-Mobile was noticeably worse than either Verizon or ATT. I have a feeling they upgraded their network since that time, but there was a huge difference compared to the two the two top dogs. Other than that isolated incident, I have little problem with T-Mobile service.

NEVER trust T-Mobile phone reps. The customer service is terrible, as it is with all cellular phone support. The reps are usually in a different country and spew out incorrect, incomprehensible information. Do not trust them.

I would pick T-Mobile's unlimited plan. I love the company and how they treat their customers. They are a company that tries to improve your experience, rather than impede it. They are truly changing wireless and I'm glad to be spending my money with a company that really listens to their customers.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll keep all you said in mind. I wish this wasn't so complicated haha

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I doubt the whole "call them on day 29 and switch back". To my understanding, once you've moved out from the grandfathered unlimited data plan, it's gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: HiItsMe

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Average Monthly Usage:

Plan Choices:
-450 Minutes, $39.99
-1500 text, $15
My plan on att is $63.99 before taxes.
What you need to do is 1) call retentions and ask for Unlimited messaging with mobile to any mobile for $10.

That saves $5 off of the top

2) Check out your options of monthly discounts. PM me if you need help. It can knockoff 20% off you bill.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm also with AT&T and have the grandfathered unlumited data plan. Rather than giving up the unlimited data, which is essentially 22GB before the possibility of being throttled, you should investigate reducing the other fees on your monthly bill. If you call them and select the option to cancel your account, you will be routed to the retention department, which have incentive plans not available to other representatives. After I did so, I lowered my unlimited texting fee to $10/mo. I was also placed on a 300 minute voice plan for $30/mo which has rollover accumulation. I currently have over 8000 minutes, so I have no fear of ever running out. My unlimited data is $35/mo, same as you're paying. As a result, my total charge before taxes is $75/mo. I do also get the device insurance for $8/mo and I use one of the Next plans to purchase my iPhone, so those charges are also on my bill.

I've always been satisfied with AT&T customer service, so I've chosen not to switch carriers. For example, every year when I ask for a credit to offset the $20 equipment upgrade fee, I've gotten it. Hope some of this information helps you with your decision.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Call up and talk to retentions. I have:

$40 for unlimited talk
$35 for unlimited data and
$10 for unlimited text

Add the 28% discount for my job and my bill is $74 after taxes each month.

Reactions: imlynxy

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Ms. Apple Pie,

I held on to my grandfathered AT&T Unlimited Data Plan for 7 years and thought i would never get rid of it. Well, 11 months ago I sold it on eBay for $700 (and successfully transferred it over to the buyer, took some creative talking with an AT&T supervisor) and then went with T-Mobile. It all depends on where you live, but here in New England, my coverage has been equally good as AT&T, the speeds on T-Mobile's network are way faster than AT&T ever was, and most importantly, I'm paying $36 a month less than I did with AT&T. That is a $432 savings over the course of a year, every single year. That is a significant savings. Hasta la vista AT&T!

But again, you need to see how good T-Mobile's coverage is in the region you live. But for me, it's been noting short of great.

Cheers,
Bryan

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Ok so I talked to ATT 3 times since yesterday lol, and FINALLY have a plan that will work for me plus give me savings on my bill. I've switched my plan 3 times since yesterday with the retention dept. hahaha although they still say I can go back to my old grandfathered plan if I'm not happy within 30 days.

So here's my final plan:

6gig data plan (with rollover)
Unlimited talk/text
$65 per month

Since I average 3.5 gigs per month, I'm looking at more than 2 gigs of rollover each month! (Putting me at around 8gigs).

The only downside since this is an old plan is that they will charge me overage fees ($15 per gig) if I go over. But with the rollover now, I doubt I will ever go over especially averaging 3-4 gigs per month. Yay! Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!! xoxo

Goodbye Grandfathered Unlimited. I loved you.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Hey apple friends,

Average Monthly Usage:

Plan Choices:
-450 Minutes, $39.99
-1500 text, $15

If the reception in your area for T Mobil is good switch fast

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Just a tip for anyone reading, once they touch your plan and move you off the unlimited plan, there is NO GOiNG BACK. They claim they have no way in the system to physically put you back on that plan. There have been horror stories on the forums throughout the years of call reps accidentally switching people while on the phone trying to update something else and these people have been SOL even though it was the rep's error because they have no way to put it back. Just an FYI, do not believe AT&T on this one!

Reactions: baypharm

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Just a tip for anyone reading, once they touch your plan and move you off the unlimited plan, there is NO GOiNG BACK. They claim they have no way in the system to physically put you back on that plan. There have been horror stories on the forums throughout the years of call reps accidentally switching people while on the phone trying to update something else and these people have been SOL even though it was the rep's error because they have no way to put it back. Just an FYI, do not believe AT&T on this one!

So weird that there is conflicting answers about this. After my 3 retentions dept conversations today, I made a point to ask several times if I could switch back to my unlimited plan if I changed my mind, and they said yes yes yes yes over and over. I even asked to have it confirmed with a lead supervisor. I told them what you guys said, and they told me again, if you change your mind (WITHIN 30 days, no later), then they can absolutely change you back. I can't imagine that 3 different reps plus a supervisor would lie. If I tried to switch back and they said no, believe me, all hell would break loose. I would not let it go, and I would demand my way up to the highest person possible (via Twitter tweets, social media unheaval, and angry phone calls). You don't mess with me. Don't let me being a chick fool you on my assertive skills haha. I'd go bat **** crazy on them lol.
[doublepost=1473704775][/doublepost]
Famous last words. I'm so sorry you downgraded to a lesser plan when it is so easy to get unlimited everything for the same price.

Are you referring to the TMobile One plan? If so, I'm not willing to sacrifice the HD video. I'm a photographer and my eye is trained to see things in perfect crisp quality. I can't compromise the quality on that. I thought about it, and standard definition is not my thing. It's like putting an amazing lens on a ****** camera body or visa versa. I will have an iPhone 7plus where watching HD is a must for getting the most of your device. Feel me? If you are referring to an unlimited plan via Sprint, Cricket, or Verizon, I'm still contemplating those. Technically, I have 30 days to switch back also.
[doublepost=1473704843][/doublepost]
Do not ever give up your UDP!! When 5G LTE (or whatever they decide to call it) becomes popular you will be consuming more data than on 4G.

Hmmm, interesting point! I will research this. Thanks for the heads up
[doublepost=1473704932][/doublepost]

After calling back again today, they gave me this plan! I can still switch back if I'm not satisfied. But with the rollover included, it's worth it!

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Ok so I talked to ATT 3 times since yesterday lol, and FINALLY have a plan that will work for me plus give me savings on my bill. I've switched my plan 3 times since yesterday with the retention dept. hahaha although they still say I can go back to my old grandfathered plan if I'm not happy within 30 days.

So here's my final plan:

6gig data plan (with rollover)
Unlimited talk/text
$65 per month

Since I average 3.5 gigs per month, I'm looking at more than 2 gigs of rollover each month! (Putting me at around 8gigs).

The only downside since this is an old plan is that they will charge me overage fees ($15 per gig) if I go over. But with the rollover now, I doubt I will ever go over especially averaging 3-4 gigs per month. Yay! Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!! xoxo

Goodbye Grandfathered Unlimited. I loved you.
Hmm, I was going to suggest to try to talk to AT&T retentions and get the following plan:

$29.99 Nation 300mins w/ rollover
$10.00 Unlimited text
$35.00 Unlimited data

That's my plan currently and I think this is the best plan out there for a single line who has the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

And the reason why people say (including me) that you can't get the UDP back even if they say yes (within 30 days) is because we knew people who did remove their UDP and within a week of trying to get it back, they denied it.

Unless At&t becomes generous again, one can only hope.
[doublepost=1473706066][/doublepost]
Call up and talk to retentions. I have:

$40 for unlimited talk
$35 for unlimited data and
$10 for unlimited text

Add the 28% discount for my job and my bill is $74 after taxes each month.
See my post above, maybe you can reduce your talk plan to further reduce your bill if you don't need unlimited talk.

Reactions: alphaod

aaplwatch

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2016
I'm also with AT&T and have the grandfathered unlumited data plan. Rather than giving up the unlimited data, which is essentially 22GB before the possibility of being throttled, you should investigate reducing the other fees on your monthly bill. If you call them and select the option to cancel your account, you will be routed to the retention department, which have incentive plans not available to other representatives. After I did so, I lowered my unlimited texting fee to $10/mo. I was also placed on a 300 minute voice plan for $30/mo which has rollover accumulation. I currently have over 8000 minutes, so I have no fear of ever running out. My unlimited data is $35/mo, same as you're paying. As a result, my total charge before taxes is $75/mo. I do also get the device insurance for $8/mo and I use one of the Next plans to purchase my iPhone, so those charges are also on my bill.

I've always been satisfied with AT&T customer service, so I've chosen not to switch carriers. For example, every year when I ask for a credit to offset the $20 equipment upgrade fee, I've gotten it. Hope some of this information helps you with your decision.

To be clear, you kept unlimited data at $35, get 300 minutes for $30, and have a text plan of some sort?

I tried to adjust my plan while still keeping the unlimited data and they wouldn't budge even when I said I'd be moving to TMobile - but that was in a chat. Maybe I'll call.

Said I was on a "contract" plan and couldn't make any changes to it. $35 for data $40 for 500 minutes and a texting plan.

I won't lose any sleep over ditching ATT. Only the unlimited data has kept me a customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.