Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
s

Are you referring to the TMobile One plan? If so, I'm not willing to sacrifice the HD video. I'm a photographer and my eye is trained to see things in perfect crisp quality. I can't compromise the quality on that. I thought about it, and standard definition is not my thing. It's like putting an amazing lens on a ****** camera body or visa versa. I will have an iPhone 7plus where watching HD is a must for getting the most of your device. Feel me? If you are referring to an unlimited plan via Sprint, Cricket, or Verizon, I'm still contemplating those. Technically, I have 30 days to switch back also.
No I was referring to the grandfathered unlimited ATT plan.

928de72fee3cb0ed2ea13413a59b36ca.jpg

I have unlimited everything yet pay less than you even now.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
To be clear, you kept unlimited data at $35, get 300 minutes for $30, and have a text plan of some sort?

I tried to adjust my plan while still keeping the unlimited data and they wouldn't budge even when I said I'd be moving to TMobile - but that was in a chat. Maybe I'll call.

Said I was on a "contract" plan and couldn't make any changes to it. $35 for data $40 for 500 minutes and a texting plan.

I won't lose any sleep over ditching ATT. Only the unlimited data has kept me a customer.
I have the same plan as he does, see my post before yours.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Hmm, I was going to suggest to try to talk to AT&T retentions and get the following plan:

$29.99 Nation 300mins w/ rollover
$10.00 Unlimited text
$35.00 Unlimited data

That's my plan currently and I think this is the best plan out there for a single line who has the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

And the reason why people say (including me) that you can't get the UDP back even if they say yes (within 30 days) is because we knew people who did remove their UDP and within a week of trying to get it back, they denied it.

Unless At&t becomes generous again, one can only hope.
[doublepost=1473706066][/doublepost]
See my post above, maybe you can reduce your talk plan to further reduce your bill if you don't need unlimited talk.
Hmm, I was going to suggest to try to talk to AT&T retentions and get the following plan:

$10.00 Unlimited text
$35.00 Unlimited data

That's my plan currently and I think this is the best plan out there for a single line who has the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

And the reason why people say (including me) that you can't get the UDP back even if they say yes (within 30 days) is because we knew people who did remove their UDP and within a week of trying to get it back, they denied it.

See my post above, maybe you can reduce your talk plan to further reduce your bill if you don't need unlimited talk.

I tried to get this plan! That's the exact one I asked for after reading about it on this thread. 2 different reps in retention told me that they can't couple the $10 text plan with the 300 min talk plan anymore. They said they previously were able to but that it has completely phased out and is no longer available even for retentions. Who knows if they were lying but they wouldn't give me this plan. You are lucky! That's the plan that actually would have been the best for me.
[doublepost=1473707150][/doublepost]
I have the same plan as he does, see my post before yours.

So annoying! They wouldn't give me this plan! See my other post....

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Be careful with prepaid like Cricket; even if it sounds like a good deal, their coverage will be a little worse than postpaid AT&T full since on postpaid you can roam onto partner networks (like local rural carriers in some areas) whereas on prepaid it would just show no-service. I mean if you live in a metropolitan area or something it probably won't make a difference, once you venture into the hills (like literally) it may be a hit or miss on prepaid. That's from my experience on using prepaid on AT&T and Verizon, not sure if it's changed recently.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
My understanding is the same...gone.

Well, they suck lol. Why would they lie to me? I know others have said they refused to give it back, but again, I would raise hell. They must record their calls right? I would demand them to review all the times I said "YOU ARE POSITIVE I CAN GO BACK" and they all said yes.

In saying that, the days of the grandfathered unlimited are really numbered. My guess is that they will continue to raise the costs as they did this year, and also make it harder for it to be worth it. As all these other carriers are coming out with unlimited everything plans, the competition will go up and ATT will have to follow suit with a similar plan. As the PP suggested, if they move to 5G speeds in the future which require more data, they are going to have some major competition with all the unlimited plans out there. I have a feeling the need for the grandfathered plan will one day become obsolete as they move into more economical plans that work for everyone. I could be wrong. But only time will tell.

Maybe I made a mistake, maybe not. At least I'm saving more money with hopefully no lifestyle change in regards to my usage. For now....

Reactions: imlynxy

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I tried to get this plan! That's the exact one I asked for after reading about it on this thread. 2 different reps in retention told me that they can't couple the $10 text plan with the 300 min talk plan anymore. They said they previously were able to but that it has completely phased out and is no longer available even for retentions. Who knows if they were lying but they wouldn't give me this plan. You are lucky! That's the plan that actually would have been the best for me.
[doublepost=1473707150][/doublepost]

So annoying! They wouldn't give me this plan! See my other post....
Hmm do you have the $20 unlimited text plan with unlimited calls too? Tell them to just switch it to the $10 unlimited text plan without any unlimited call benefit or A+ (to 5 numbers) whatever they call it.

That was the same problem and they managed to identify the issue, cause the $20 unlimited text plan had some call perks, they removed that and just added the $10 regular unlimited text to the $30 talk plan. Keep on trying til you find a nice retention rep. Good luck!

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Well, they suck lol. Why would they lie to me? I know others have said they refused to give it back, but again, I would raise hell. They must record their calls right? I would demand them to review all the times I said "YOU ARE POSITIVE I CAN GO BACK" and they all said yes.

In saying that, the days of the grandfathered unlimited are really numbered. My guess is that they will continue to raise the costs as they did this year, and also make it harder for it to be worth it. As all these other carriers are coming out with unlimited everything plans, the competition will go up and ATT will have to follow suit with a similar plan. As the PP suggested, if they move to 5G speeds in the future which require more data, they are going to have some major competition with all the unlimited plans out there. I have a feeling the need for the grandfathered plan will one day become obsolete as they move into more economical plans that work for everyone. I could be wrong. But only time will tell.

Maybe I made a mistake, maybe not. At least I'm saving more money with hopefully no lifestyle change in regards to my usage. For now....
Why would they lie? They tell you what you want to hear. Multiple posts on this board about at &t reps providing wrong information.

I hope you don't have to go back to unlimited, but if you do, good luck.

Reactions: HiItsMe

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
But have to say I did not know about this $10 unlimited texting plan. I've been PPU for years now and it's been driving me crazy since my use didn't justify the $20 unlimited plan (I don't call much for example), but my texting usage has been going up since I switched my unlimited line from an iPhone to Android (no more iMessage).

After replying to the last post, I called 611, said "Retentions" to the automated system; spoke to the representative and in less than five minutes, I've got the $10 unlimited plan. Thanks Rayfire!

As for the increase in price for unlimited data—I believe that price is just for people who have DirecTV and are not already grandfathered into the old pricing.

Reactions: Rayfire

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
But have to say I did not know about this $10 unlimited texting plan. I've been PPU for years now and it's been driving me crazy since my use didn't justify the $20 unlimited plan (I don't call much for example), but my texting usage has been going up since I switched my unlimited line from an iPhone to Android (no more iMessage).

After replying to the last post, I called 611, said "Retentions" to the automated system; spoke to the representative and in less than five minutes, I've got the $10 unlimited plan. Thanks Rayfire!

As for the increase in price for unlimited data—I believe that price is just for people who have DirecTV and are not already grandfathered into the old pricing.
Anytime, glad I could help.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Hmm do you have the $20 unlimited text plan with unlimited calls too? Tell them to just switch it to the $10 unlimited text plan without any unlimited call benefit or A+ (to 5 numbers) whatever they call it.

That was the same problem and they managed to identify the issue, cause the $20 unlimited text plan had some call perks, they removed that and just added the $10 regular unlimited text to the $30 talk plan. Keep on trying til you find a nice retention rep. Good luck!

Gotcha, hmmmm, ya, who knows, I think part of the problem was with my old plan, I had the 1500 text for $15, 450 talk for $39.99 andthe added the $35 for grandfather unlimited. I never had the unlimited text to begin with so maybe that's why they couldn't get me the $10 text and 29.99 talk. Ughhh frustrates me that some can, and some can't. As well as the issue of switching back to unlimited data. Some can, and some can't. Why ATT why! (And the PP is right, they just do it in hopes you won't ask for it back).

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Gotcha, hmmmm, ya, who knows, I think part of the problem was with my old plan, I had the 1500 text for $15, 450 talk for $39.99 andthe added the $35 for grandfather unlimited. I never had the unlimited text to begin with so maybe that's why they couldn't get me the $10 text and 29.99 talk. Ughhh frustrates me that some can, and some can't. As well as the issue of switching back to unlimited data. Some can, and some can't. Why ATT why! (And the PP is right, they just do it in hopes you won't ask for it back).

I would definitely call back, and get that UDP back! Once you get it back ask for retentions and threaten to cancel unless they help you out. I know 3-4 gb of usage is not much now, but later down the road you never know what you will need to use.

You live in San Diego, Tmobile should be good for you there. I would test out their network first with a spare phone and a prepaid sim card.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Ok so I talked to ATT 3 times since yesterday lol, and FINALLY have a plan that will work for me plus give me savings on my bill. I've switched my plan 3 times since yesterday with the retention dept. hahaha although they still say I can go back to my old grandfathered plan if I'm not happy within 30 days.

So here's my final plan:

6gig data plan (with rollover)
Unlimited talk/text
$65 per month

Since I average 3.5 gigs per month, I'm looking at more than 2 gigs of rollover each month! (Putting me at around 8gigs).

That's the plan I'm using now. Coundn't be happier. I switched from unlimited plan 1 year ago ($128/month+tax). I'm paying $82+Tax ($32+$25x2 lines with 20% FAN discount) for 2 lines of iPhone.

There's nothing a normal person could be doing on their cellphone (outside of torrenting or streaming 4K movies) that would require more than 8mbps.

8mbps will suit everyone, besides the speedtest freaks that want to show off their stats, just fine.

Cricket's 8Mbps cap is a deal breaker. It's not 4G LTE but 4G GSM speed. It wasn't even cheaper for me.

Last edited:

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010

$10.00 Unlimited text
$35.00 Unlimited data

Due to my discount the $40 is cheaper than the 300 min plan as they 29.99 is not discountable.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012

If I were you I open a complaint with At&t office of president. You were misinformed by CS reps. When they raised my UDP under the conract I faxed them a dispute and all my lines were removed from the contract 4 days later.

Please try again retention dept., 611, after that say "cancel". If they cannot help here is the contact info:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/Office-of-the-President/td-p/4184503

About the phone call records: 1. if they recorded it, they listen to it and you win here. 2. if there is no records you also win, they have to record it. 3. If they tell you that the call was documented you can reject it since you never signed/approved the documentation, you can tell them that you also documented the call and it shows the opposite :)

Good luck.

P.S. I also advice you to ask them for 100-200 dollars compensation for your time and troubles.
P.S.2 I have nothing against Att, but I hate when people lie or incompetent or when they try to change terms of your contract under the contract.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
To be clear, you kept unlimited data at $35, get 300 minutes for $30, and have a text plan of some sort?

I tried to adjust my plan while still keeping the unlimited data and they wouldn't budge even when I said I'd be moving to TMobile - but that was in a chat. Maybe I'll call.

Said I was on a "contract" plan and couldn't make any changes to it. $35 for data $40 for 500 minutes and a texting plan.

I won't lose any sleep over ditching ATT. Only the unlimited data has kept me a customer.

Yes, I still have the unlimited data plan for $35/mo. And the 300 minute voice plan was offered by the retention department that I was connected to by calling AT&T. They also lowered the cost of my unlimited texting plan from $20 to $10. There was some difficulty transferring my rollover minutes and I had to call back after I received my next bill, but there was a notation in my account that if they didn't get transferred, for the next rep to add them for me, which they did. Having such a large accumulation was why I felt comfortable switching to a plan with so few minutes, although I still rarely come close to using all I get each month.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.