Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
While listening to music last night on my 2019 Mac Pro I realized I can't plug my headphones in because I'm using the 3.5 jack to feed my powered speakers. Did a little research and came up with this. Seems to have positive reviews.

Curious what others have done or use to be able to have multiple audio outputs. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I recommend using a usb sound card with volume control. Macs seem to have issues controlling volume on usb external sound devices sometimes. And you can just switch back and forth from the menu bar. They have them on Amazon and arnt very much.
If you need to run both speakers and headphones at the same time, I believe you can set up an aggregate device in the audio and midi app in the utilities folder.

Reactions: bmoraski

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The splitter should work. It may introduce a reduction in loudness or add some noise but that'd be unlikely.

Since you won't have individual loudness controls for the headphones you'll have to unplug them when not in use if you don't want to hear them when the powered speakers are playing (or when they're shut off and you haven't muted the macOS volume).

A lot of USB sound devices have monitor output jacks as well as a headphone jack with a separate loudness control.

My setup is more than most folks need…an Audient ID4 with the monitor outs connected to a passive Mackie Big Knob which is connected to powered monitors. The Audient's headphone jack is connected to a Mackie HM-4 headphone amplifier…where my phones are connected.

If you want to see USB devices tested and reviewed this guy's channel is good:

• Love

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
The splitter should work. It may introduce a reduction in loudness or add some noise but that'd be unlikely.

Since you won't have individual loudness controls for the headphones you'll have to unplug them when not in use if you don't want to hear them when the powered speakers are playing (or when they're shut off and you haven't muted the macOS volume).

A lot of USB sound devices have monitor output jacks as well as a headphone jack with a separate loudness control.

My setup is more than most folks need…an Audient ID4 with the monitor outs connected to a passive Mackie Big Knob which is connected to powered monitors. The Audient's headphone jack is connected to a Mackie HM-4 headphone amplifier…where my phones are connected.

If you want to see USB devices tested and reviewed this guy's channel is good:

Thank you.

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
Headphones will only be plugged in when using late at night for movies or music. For $8 I figured ill try and see. I also ordered 4ft cable so I can have easy access from front of the Mac. My other systems have line outs and headphone jacks so I never even thought about it.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Or you can use USB:

https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Adapter,USB-Headset,USB-External-Headphone/dp/B0885WGX89/ref=sr_1_3?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Qy7OwGFvnwMGplPAC7MpuwLmBOpzfyrrGIk3yn9IkCtcd9J3N6IXpvXG_pqZNDqh8JeoOE7VP88Gi1Dak7mtsB7asYdmsXNOSr0dTneLhw9hyckRw0ihofCHIMCTrJimwvBzB_J8-5iATElMsYxBo-n2R_jgmyCEeuAKxTFPg832R4mCVkTmFLY_fGw1z2XC5_yrMS1-BROgYGIPWs-LGITmJiq0CVTjzrpa3rVxILw.3fT2_0mmg7OAX84ItypeqJck6yh8FTgSbZv9awqzC8Y&dib_tag=se&hvadid=570508613416&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030014&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7329545328692308679&hvtargid=kwd-3264711033&hydadcr=19133_13375024&keywords=usb%2Bheadphones%2Bfor%2Bmac&qid=1714761395&sr=8-3&th=1

Lou

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
The USB-C option I use is Apple's official headphone adapter ($9).
It supports headphones with microphone and controls. And it can also be used with USB-C iPhones and iPads.
For stereo speakers I still prefer the Line-Out of my (2013) Mac Pro but the adapter's DAC has a good reputation.
In other words, excellent transparent performance regardless of price. There is absolutely no reason at all to pay more for a USB DAC, at least when it comes to pure sound quality with headphones. [head-fi.org]

Last edited:

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
The splitter worked perfectly. No sound degradation. Have used quite a lot. Im shocked for an $8 investment. Thanks everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.